Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2K Games announces that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America via retail and Steam, and Firaxis' action/strategy will be available internationally on October 12th. Some screenshots and a launch trailer support the release, and a playable demo of the Windows edition was released a couple of weeks ago on Steam (an Xbox 360 demo is likewise available, while a PS3 demo is still in the works). Here's word:

2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America and will be available internationally on October 12, 2012 for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game already has critics raving, with Game Informer stating that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is “a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience” and rating the game 9.5 out of 10, earning “Game of the Month” honors in the November 2012 issue.

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”

Gamers who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown and those who purchase the game for a limited time at launch will receive the launch bonus which includes the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

A special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC (MSRP $59.99) will be available at participating retail locations. This special edition will contain a copy of the game for Windows PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A digital version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be purchased from participating digital retailers for MSRP $49.99.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 13:49 Slashman

What really pisses me off is that I have to wait a whole 2 extra days to play just because I'm not in the US. Why in the hell do I have to wait when I pre-ordered and paid the same money as everyone else???  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 12:47 Bucky

I strongly recommend starting on Normal Ironman, just for the sake of sanity. There's a lot of game mechanics that need learning, and I know I've made a bunch of rookie mistakes. Ironman just helps reinforce the lessons.

My third mission, I obliterate a Thin Man at point blank range. I figured there's no way I'd miss, and I didn't. Problem is, he then exploded, poisoning my poor rookie. That rookie panics and dies a couple of turns later because no one had the foresight to take a medkit along. His squadmate (another rookie) sees this, panics also, and shoots my Heavy, a Sargent at the time. Thankfully I'd given him some extra armor, so he shrugged it off. The last squadmate got flanked and had no chance since his support was all busy panicking.

I finished that VIP mission with two soliders, and I refused to put my Heavy in front of the rookie who shot him.

I also have the bad habit of not checking to see if the enemy is in Overwatch, and then moving right across their field of fire.

Edit: I just lost my highest ranked support, because I didn't realize that the other support solider I had could stabilize even after his medkit was used. Well, I did realize it, just one turn after poor 'Whiskey' Wouters bled out. I'm gonna miss her, even if she did shoot my Heavy on her first mission.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 13:21.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 12:40 dj LiTh

So, been going pretty hard at Classic / Ironman. Really loving the gameplay. There are a few things here and there that i notice different from the original but no deal breakers at all. Something i do notice is that the matches go a lot faster. This is pretty much because of the no time units and the 2 move/ability system. I actually prefer this as it makes you focus much more on the strategy aspect rather than the technical T/U management aspect.

Ok thats enough time wasted outside the game, must go back to my underground base.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 12:30 Acleacius

Two possible GOTY contenders released on the same day? Faint

Surprised Dishonored doesn't have a release article.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 12:22 RollinThundr

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:54:
Ok guys you can stop with all the positive comments now, you are making it harder to wait for the end of the day!
Just keep complaining or something

It needs to be 4:30 now, the world needs saving, those sectoids aren't going to kill themselves doncha know.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 12:13 Mingus

I have only played 1.5 hours of the tutorial missions thus far. I can say I have had a lot of fun in that short time.

I don't have any serious complaints about the game mechanics, as to me they have made turn based combat feel somewhat 'fluid.' Others have used the term 'streamlined.' Either way, while not the original game mechanic, it still feels right for X-Com (IMHO).

The only concern I have, is that the missions feel to me to be a lot more scripted, as opposed to entirely random, as the original X-Com. Again, I am playing the tutorial so 'duh' of course the missions are scripted. I hope that once I am playing a full campaign, that the random nature of the missions, etc becomes more apparent then they appear to be at first blush.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:57 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:42:
The only somewhat negative I heard so far is the in the fog of war the aliens dont start moving until you actually spot them. If that's true, that's a bit unexpected in a turn-based game of any sort. I wonder if they did that to keep the enemy turns shorter.

imho, the tactical combat part of the game looks great in the gameplay vids. Smaller teams and no action points arent deal-breakers.

Yeah, that's shocking to me, and hugely disappointing, but at the same time I'm not entirely convinced I'd notice it on my own. At least not for a while.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:54 SpectralMeat

Ok guys you can stop with all the positive comments now, you are making it harder to wait for the end of the day!
Just keep complaining or something

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PropheT

So far I'm really happy with it. It's definitely X-Com, which is more than you can say for any game like this that's come out since the originals. It's not perfect but it's tense and it's fun.  

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:50 RollinThundr

Leper wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:47:
It was fun and challenging for the hour I played last night. I'm sure it has flaws, but I hope it sells well and we get more games like it.

Totally agree, I played for about an hour or so myself, and it was challenging right off the bat even on normal difficulty, planning to play on classic after I get the hang of things. Research and base building is pretty interesting as well, lot of options for how to go about things.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:47 Leper

It was fun and challenging for the hour I played last night. I'm sure it has flaws, but I hope it sells well and we get more games like it.  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:42 avianflu

The only somewhat negative I heard so far is the in the fog of war the aliens dont start moving until you actually spot them. If that's true, that's a bit unexpected in a turn-based game of any sort. I wonder if they did that to keep the enemy turns shorter.

imho, the tactical combat part of the game looks great in the gameplay vids. Smaller teams and no action points arent deal-breakers.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:42 RollinThundr

Trevellian wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:39:
I loved the original X-Coms and played them for years. That being said, this game is still great and as far as I am concerned loves up to what I expected out of a modern X-com game. Some of you are really stretching to find reasons to dislike this.

This, I don't miss time units, and while different elevations navigation wise can be hit or miss, I'm loving the reimaging of a classic so far. Don't even mind the smaller limit on squad size, makes the game a bit tougher actually.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:39 Trevellian

I loved the original X-Coms and played them for years. That being said, this game is still great and as far as I am concerned lives up to what I expected out of a modern X-com game. Some of you are really stretching to find reasons to dislike this.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:39 Beamer

X-COM didn't have prone...  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:32 Creston

Raven wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:19:
Character stance! It's more than just for show. If you have time to couch down and aim, you can shoot more accurately. How is that overly complex?

It is for the console players, apparently...

Creston

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:26 Cutter

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:21:
In the demo moving elevations really sucks, did they change that for the full game?

No, and I've lost several advanced squad members becauswe of forgetting to change elevation, grr! Untill I get a better grasp of how research and stuff plays out I'm going back to normal, classic ironman is simply too frustrating to start with as I've been getting shitkicked on it the last several hours.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:24 Dr. D. Schreber

Hey guys let's complain because the game isn't just an unchanged re-release of the original.

Actually let's play the game because playing videogames is more fun than joining the Choir Pedantic.

Or is that just me?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:21 Keilun

FalconerHG wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:02:
Right, so you feel that these majorly important gameplay characteristics are simply remade:

> Encountering aliens, they scuttle away to safety, after which trench warfare resolves the conflict. (in the old game, an encounter could result in aliens shooting at you right away, or you shooting them - that was far more nailbiting than it is now)

> Maps are no longer random. There's only about 100, pre-made maps.

> Games universally last less than a day. (the old games were epic in length)

> No more Action Points

There are more, but these three are such enormously different that it is difficult to label the new game with the term 'remake'.

A remake is taking the original concepts and mechanics and putting it into a new engine.

Don't get me wrong, the new Xcom is great, but it's not a remake. (this is why developers have invented the term 're-imagining').

Nitpicking over the usage of the terms remake and reimagining is a bit anal don't you think?

I do miss map randomization though, even if some of the old XCOM maps were terrible. I've yet to see really if the random spawn points of the preset maps make enough of a difference. I'm going to guess no.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:19 Raven

InBlack wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:57:
Let me name an example of bad complexity from said original game, time action points, overly complex and a bummer to use...

I don't see the action point system as overly complex and bummer to use. Fine, take a way the action point system, but give me a system that simulate the character quickness, weapon rate-of-fire... A nimble gun fighter catches a couple aliens from the back out in the open with a pistol in his hand and can only shoot once at one alien and have to wait for them to turn around and shoot him back. What kind of logic is that?

Character stance! It's more than just for show. If you have time to couch down and aim, you can shoot more accurately. How is that overly complex?

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo