Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2K Games announces that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America via retail and Steam, and Firaxis' action/strategy will be available internationally on October 12th. Some screenshots and a launch trailer support the release, and a playable demo of the Windows edition was released a couple of weeks ago on Steam (an Xbox 360 demo is likewise available, while a PS3 demo is still in the works). Here's word:

2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown is now available in North America and will be available internationally on October 12, 2012 for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game already has critics raving, with Game Informer stating that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is “a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience” and rating the game 9.5 out of 10, earning “Game of the Month” honors in the November 2012 issue.

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”

Gamers who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown and those who purchase the game for a limited time at launch will receive the launch bonus which includes the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

A special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC (MSRP $59.99) will be available at participating retail locations. This special edition will contain a copy of the game for Windows PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A digital version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be purchased from participating digital retailers for MSRP $49.99.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

155. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 14, 2012, 03:22 Prez

Fletch wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 01:52:
Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:47:

There isn't a bigger fan of XCOM on the planet then myself...

I disagree.

Well, given that I have reached the pinnacle of X-COM fandom as defined by the physical laws of the known universe (it's one of Einstein's lesser known discoveries) the most you could be is my equal in X-COM fanaticism, in which case my statement that there isn't a bigger fan than me is still true!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

154. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 Fletch

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:47:

There isn't a bigger fan of XCOM on the planet then myself...

I disagree.

153. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 14, 2012, 00:24 Kosumo

Fletch wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 17:52:
What a shit game. This isn't X-Com in the least. Just another dumbed-down money-grab created by console kiddies who have NO CLUE what made X-Com great. I could tell early on, when the developers started talking about how they would "improve" certain aspects of the game, that they were actually removing/changing exactly what made it a great game. Evenything that made X-Com X-Com is either entirely missing from this pile of shit, or is so simplified/automated it takes strategy completely out of the game. Where's my (functional) Geoscape? My multiple bases? My ability to outfit my teams as I see fit? Random maps? Ability to transfer items between team members? Interact with ground? Crouching? And what is with all these fucking cutscenes and QT events? A narrative? X-Com don't need a fucking NARRATIVE! PC gamers want to make it THEIR game, played how boldly or carefully they choose to play it, not follow some narrative-on-rails! Aliens invade, earthlings fight back. THAT'S all the fucking narrative a PC gamer needs to play X-Com! And, TIME UNITS? Where are my fucking time units?!?! The developers actually thought that time units were too much for the ADD-addled console crowd to deal with, SO THEY SIMPLY REMOVED THEM! How motherfucking stupid they must believe console kiddies are to remove something so fucking SIMPLE and straightforward as time units!

STILL waiting for someone to make X-Com, and not some "reimagined" dreck onto which they have simply slapped an X-Com title. This game blows. IT IS NOT X-COM! Fans of X-Com don't want the game "reimagined". We want X-Com modernized for today's COMPUTERS, not lobotomized for today's consoles! And as long as games are designed for multiple platforms, PC gamers will continue to want for good PC games.

Fuck you, Firaxis! FUCK YOU!

Thats so funny, now much money did they rob you of since you hate it so much - you should ask for a refund and they may give you one.

152. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 13, 2012, 19:47 Prez

We want X-Com modernized for today's COMPUTERS, not lobotomized for today's consoles!

While I would love a faithful recreation of the original made to run Win 7 with modern day features, UI, mechanics and graphics, (Possibly Xenonauts) I disagree that Firaxis' version is not X-COM. I could be wrong but it sounds like you made up your mind before you tried it that unless this was a bit-by-bit recreation with modernized features then it would suck (or be "lobotomized") and you would hate it. There isn't a bigger fan of XCOM on the planet then myself and while I was skeptical about this game I gave it a fair shake and it easily won me over.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

151. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 13, 2012, 17:52 Fletch

What a shit game. This isn't X-Com in the least. Just another dumbed-down money-grab created by console kiddies who have NO CLUE what made X-Com great. I could tell early on, when the developers started talking about how they would "improve" certain aspects of the game, that they were actually removing/changing exactly what made it a great game. Evenything that made X-Com X-Com is either entirely missing from this pile of shit, or is so simplified/automated it takes strategy completely out of the game. Where's my (functional) Geoscape? My multiple bases? My ability to outfit my teams as I see fit? Random maps? Ability to transfer items between team members? Interact with ground? Crouching? And what is with all these fucking cutscenes and QT events? A narrative? X-Com don't need a fucking NARRATIVE! PC gamers want to make it THEIR game, played how boldly or carefully they choose to play it, not follow some narrative-on-rails! Aliens invade, earthlings fight back. THAT'S all the fucking narrative a PC gamer needs to play X-Com! And, TIME UNITS? Where are my fucking time units?!?! The developers actually thought that time units were too much for the ADD-addled console crowd to deal with, SO THEY SIMPLY REMOVED THEM! How motherfucking stupid they must believe console kiddies are to remove something so fucking SIMPLE and straightforward as time units!

STILL waiting for someone to make X-Com, and not some "reimagined" dreck onto which they have simply slapped an X-Com title. This game blows. IT IS NOT X-COM! Fans of X-Com don't want the game "reimagined". We want X-Com modernized for today's COMPUTERS, not lobotomized for today's consoles! And as long as games are designed for multiple platforms, PC gamers will continue to want for good PC games.

Fuck you, Firaxis! FUCK YOU!

150. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 12, 2012, 07:35 Dades

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:24:
Reading's not your strong suit, is it? I said I was on day 92, some 30+ missions in. 20-30 missions in is about the time that you have before the last nation pulls out before the fail state kicks in, so you just reinforced my issue.

He doesn't believe you, just hit F12 in Steam and paste the link of the screenshot here and I'm sure he will apologize and you will be vindicated. No problem right, just takes a few seconds.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

149. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 12, 2012, 07:24 dj LiTh

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:24:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 19:36:
One of the game dev's apparently got about 20missions into impossible/ironman before losing. So ya, i'm not going to buy what your shoveling just cause you cant get past the first few missions doesnt mean others cant. Your not gods gift to gaming.

Reading's not your strong suit, is it? I said I was on day 92, some 30+ missions in. 20-30 missions in is about the time that you have before the last nation pulls out before the fail state kicks in, so you just reinforced my issue.

I still call bullshit. 30+ missions = end of the game, winning or losing.

148. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 23:24 DarkCntry

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 19:36:
One of the game dev's apparently got about 20missions into impossible/ironman before losing. So ya, i'm not going to buy what your shoveling just cause you cant get past the first few missions doesnt mean others cant. Your not gods gift to gaming.

147. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 21:34 Creston

A 2 GIG fucking patch? WTF Firaxis? So I come home wanting to play some Xcom, and now I'm stuck downloading your goddamn patch for six fucking hours?

Who the fuck releases a TWO FUCKING GIGABYTE PATCH???

Creston

146. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 19:43 Prez

Less bickering; more playing XCOM!

Me, I'm stuck at work up to my eyeballs in problems; I only wish I could be playing. I've played for around 40 hours since release and all I want to do is get home and play some more. Between Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 and XCOM, my wife is going to have me declared dead - she basically hasn't seen me in 2 solid weeks.

- Mahatma Gandhi

145. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 19:43 Mr. Tact

Eh? Didn't he say he was 30 missions in?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

144. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 19:36 dj LiTh

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 18:17:
Numinar wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 09:29:
WOW DarkCntry. Are you some kind of pro game tester? That is quite the acheivement. I hope the game below impossible isn't too boring for you, because by definition that difficulty is an unwinnable joke for people who just want to see the world burn.

Not entirely sure what you're aiming at. There's a very fine line between challenge and frustration, and with the current setup of Impossible it crosses well over that line and moves into infuriating.

I'm used to the old school XCOM trial and error setup, I also expect Impossible to be a very difficult challenge, but it is not challenging to be incapable of continuing progress through the game when you aren't given any possible avenues to succeed.

I've been through pretty much every build-order possible to lessen the Panic levels, but that doesn't help because there's too little money and too little infrastructure to achieve anything. I don't expect to keep all the nations, but I also don't expect it to be an unattainable situation.

143. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 18:17 DarkCntry

Numinar wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 09:29:
WOW DarkCntry. Are you some kind of pro game tester? That is quite the acheivement. I hope the game below impossible isn't too boring for you, because by definition that difficulty is an unwinnable joke for people who just want to see the world burn.

Not entirely sure what you're aiming at. There's a very fine line between challenge and frustration, and with the current setup of Impossible it crosses well over that line and moves into infuriating.

I'm used to the old school XCOM trial and error setup, I also expect Impossible to be a very difficult challenge, but it is not challenging to be incapable of continuing progress through the game when you aren't given any possible avenues to succeed.

I've been through pretty much every build-order possible to lessen the Panic levels, but that doesn't help because there's too little money and too little infrastructure to achieve anything. I don't expect to keep all the nations, but I also don't expect it to be an unattainable situation.

142. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 18:01 Prez

Either that patch notes list is incomplete or they rewrote entire chunks of the game to implement the fixes. My update clocked in at almost 2GB!

And YAY! for the "squad sight" skill fix. I haven't been able to use it a single time successfully up until now.

- Mahatma Gandhi

141. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 16:34 RailWizard

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:29:
It is a patch: http://tinyurl.com/9zwhdsx

Interesting, thx.

140. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 16:29 SpectralMeat

It is a patch: http://tinyurl.com/9zwhdsx  

Steam: SpectralMeat

139. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 16:02 RailWizard

J wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:47:
My pre-release is doing a big download thing. Is there a new patch or somesuch?

hmm it would appear so, mine is trying to d/l something now.

138. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 13:47 J

My pre-release is doing a big download thing. Is there a new patch or somesuch?  

137. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 09:56 RailWizard

I hope the first patch fixes the mouse/kb problems.

I tried it again and had to go back to 360 controller. Had my sniper and a heavy on top of a cube van and wanted them to drop down onto the cab of the truck, but the cursor just wigged out and could NOT do it..

Pretty obvious where all the attention went...720p movies...buggy mouse. That's probably why reviewers were given 360 versions. The stupid confirmation boxes that pop up when you hit 'overwatch' or other things is annoying too, which also doesn't happen with a controller.

136. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 11, 2012, 09:29 Numinar

As for them not spelling out how to run the metagame to ensure a victory, sounds like OG UFO:EU. It took me many failed games as a teenager to work out what was going on in that little piece of genius. That is what makes this game fresh/retro. Is there any other mainstream/console ported game not Civ-Rev that you are actually able to fail after putting 30 hours into these days? Used to be all the rage.

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo