Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today

Gearbox's Randy Pitchford tweets that the Mechromancer DLC for Borderlands 2 will be released today, a week earlier than planned. Here's word, which does not explain why: "So - here's the surprise, Mechromancer for Borderlands 2 is ready about a week earlier than I promised. Oct 9, all platforms. Woo!" Thanks GameSpot.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 10, 2012, 09:49 Verno

Dev wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 01:33:
LOL. Looks like they are including pretty much everything from the preorder "exclusive bonuses" in this DLC. So if you missed out on pre-ordering for $36 from GMG, you can still get almost all the digital goodies (except a few skins).

I think it's pretty shitty of them to put out a season pass that doesn't include the preorder bonus.

Anyways I've spent a ton of time with this game but much like Diablo 3, not all of it was enjoyment. The drop rates and gun diversity really needs some tweaking. I barely limped across the finish line at the end, let alone doing a second play through. I think I'll just skip the DLC until there is a big pack or GOTY edition.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 Dev

LOL. Looks like they are including pretty much everything from the preorder "exclusive bonuses" in this DLC. So if you missed out on pre-ordering for $36 from GMG, you can still get almost all the digital goodies (except a few skins).  

41. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 20:38 xXBatmanXx

Been thinking about this all day....with the amount of content in base game (70+ hours for people for 1st time) and the update (FREE) from today - I wll be getting the season pass. Base game + season pass = what most are selling for.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

40. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 19:13 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 18:13:
I finished a 70 hour playthrough of Borderlands 2 two days ago and had an absolute blast. I haven't laughed out loud as much playing a game since the second Monkey Island game. The AI core side mission made me laugh like a hysterical fool and I was giggling for hours after. To avoid spoiling anything I will only say I could never bring myself to sell the weapon I was rewarded with for that mission even after it became obsolete. It still makes me laugh now. There are so many standouts like that in the game that I would have had to take detailed notes to impart them all here, and it would be the longest post in history.

All in all, it may not be the best RPG or best shooter, but it is my favorite game of the year so far by a mile.

Yea, mine is still with me.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

39. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 18:13 Yosemite Sam

nin wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:21:
Borderlands 2
Torchlight 2
Dishonored
Retro City Rampage
XCOM
(numerous others)

Not enough hours in the day!!!!!!!

Heh, downloaded the demo for XCOM before I realized XP doesn't cut it. Then decided to load up X3TC which I picked up for five bucks last XMAS, talk about not enough hours in a day. I've had to force myself to just shut'er down because I'm falling way behind on shit I gotta do besides play video games. Then there's CIV4 which I still play, TF2, OP Red River which I still haven't finished, not to mention the PS3 games I'm still into... though I noticed there's a demo out for XCOM on the PS3, hmmm.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

38. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 18:13 Prez

I finished a 70 hour playthrough of Borderlands 2 two days ago and had an absolute blast. I haven't laughed out loud as much playing a game since the second Monkey Island game. The AI core side mission made me laugh like a hysterical fool and I was giggling for hours after. To avoid spoiling anything I will only say I could never bring myself to sell the weapon I was rewarded with for that mission even after it became obsolete. It still makes me laugh now. There are so many standouts like that in the game that I would have had to take detailed notes to impart them all here, and it would be the longest post in history.

All in all, it may not be the best RPG or best shooter, but it is my favorite game of the year so far by a mile.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 17:42 DG

Just finished playthrough 1.

Good game. Did everything but the delivery type missions, clocked up about 70 hours. Well worth the money.

Doubt I'll do a second run through though. Good game, but I'd guess the last game that was condensed enough awesome that I replayed it was probably Goldeneye or something, not counting sandbox games like GTA or Civ.

Maybe once all the DLC is out I'll return to it.

36. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 17:25 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 16:31:
Are you arguing for the classes to be MORE homogeneous now? Maybe Gaige can't reload as fast and has to make the mags smaller and easier to handle because she's a teenage girl, not a veteran soldier like Axton? Think about what you're saying, man... These are RPG elements we're talking about here.

Who has the better talent for faster reloading? Whew, that is some heavy RPG stuff going on there, not sure I would be able to deal with all of that in depth customization.

35. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 17:02 Bhruic

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 16:31:
It's more interesting because it's more difficult, plus you're max level so your skills are completely fleshed out and you have more options in how to tackle things.

You just move the difficulty around. Instead of having the later storyline missions more difficult, you have the side quests more difficult. It's not like doing it that way gives you more or less XP, just at different times.

Are you arguing for the classes to be MORE homogeneous now? Maybe Gaige can't reload as fast and has to make the mags smaller and easier to handle because she's a teenage girl, not a veteran soldier like Axton? Think about what you're saying, man... These are RPG elements we're talking about here.

Uh, seriously? I'm not arguing for more homogeneous classes, I'm arguing for actual class differentiation. How exactly is the reload skill having a clip size penalty accomplishing that? They had the chance to do something substantial with the class, but instead they included the same-old from the other classes. They did one interesting thing with anarchy, and then stuck it in the weakest skill line. Poorly thought out all around.

34. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:31 jacobvandy

It's more interesting because it's more difficult, plus you're max level so your skills are completely fleshed out and you have more options in how to tackle things.

33. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:26 Bhruic

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:26:
As with any game involving randomized loot, the only thing left to do once you've done everything is to get awesome gear. That is your progression after you've hit 50. I was just explaining something you could do if you wanted to make your favorite unique gun last longer. Plus saving the side quests 'til last makes them more interesting and gives you plenty of "end game." Probably 1/3 of the time played with my Commando has been in that Playthrough 2.5 stuff.

I understand, but you don't get end game. You just rearrange the order of the missions. I'm not sure how that makes them any more interesting, they are the same quests with the same enemies.

I think you should take a closer look at those buffs vs. penalties, because the latter ARE pretty mild... In your example of the reload boost skill, it's only minus one percent clip size, which means you might lose a single shot from a sniper rifle mag if you have it maxed out (I don't know how they handle the rounding there). Same with the Blood-Soaked Shield, you get an INSTANT recovery of 20% shields, in exchange for losing 1% of health, from every kill. That first rank alone could easily be overpowered for a shield-heavy build, let alone if it has multiple. Their website skill tree thing isn't working for me, like I can't click on things to make a build, so I don't know how the scaling goes. It might not be a linear progression like the others, who knows.

You're right, I misread the one skill, it is only 1% ammo. Still, I don't understand why the need to add negatives in the first place. Again, Axton gets +8%/level reload. Why does +6%/level require a penalty to go with it?

32. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:21 Shataan

"I'm starting to learn that variety isn't Gearboxes strong suit."

What Pitchford and GearBox are REALLY good at... is patting themselves on the back. Ya gotta worry when someone does this that much. I`d rather they let their game do the talking. By the way Randy talks bout Aliens Colonial Marines... you`d think the game was gonna do everything but give us all BJs. lol

Deeds Randy!!! Deeds, not words.

31. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:13 jacobvandy

If they really want to blow our hair back, they'd now announce that that content add-on is going live tomorrow! :p  

30. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:09 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 16:04:
holy gebus! 600MB patch!
Yeah if you read through what Verno posted it makes sense why

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 16:04 xXBatmanXx

holy gebus! 600MB patch!  

28. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 15:36 Verno

DLC info below, could be considered a spoiler so its in spoiler tags. They accidentally included this info in the game files:

"Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty"
-One new head for each class.
-A hovercraft as a new vehicle, with three weapons: Harpoon, Rockets and Saws.
-Enemy hovercrafts
-New Enemies: Seraph Guardians, they drop Seraph crystals that can be used to buy top level gear.
-A boss with a raid lockout, with a health reduction for the player every time they're knocked down.
-7 new zones, Salt Flats is returning, plus a new town called Oasis.

27. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 15:26 jacobvandy

As with any game involving randomized loot, the only thing left to do once you've done everything is to get awesome gear. That is your progression after you've hit 50. I was just explaining something you could do if you wanted to make your favorite unique gun last longer. Plus saving the side quests 'til last makes them more interesting and gives you plenty of "end game." Probably 1/3 of the time played with my Commando has been in that Playthrough 2.5 stuff.

I think you should take a closer look at those buffs vs. penalties, because the latter ARE pretty mild... In your example of the reload boost skill, it's only minus one percent clip size, which means you might lose a single shot from a sniper rifle mag if you have it maxed out (I don't know how they handle the rounding there). Same with the Blood-Soaked Shield, you get an INSTANT recovery of 20% shields, in exchange for losing 1% of health, from every kill. That first rank alone could easily be overpowered for a shield-heavy build, let alone if it has multiple. Their website skill tree thing isn't working for me, like I can't click on things to make a build, so I don't know how the scaling goes. It might not be a linear progression like the others, who knows.

26. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 15:11 Bhruic

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:04:
Also, since beating the game a second time triggers another shift in difficulty across the entire game (basically all content is for level 50), what most people do is SKIP ALL SIDE QUESTS, so that you can complete them later and get better rewards. Not just the random stuff, but the unique ones like Tiny Tina's corrosive pistol or Moxxi's fire shotgun or the elephant gun (scope-less sniper rifle). This is because the side quests don't reset again after you beat TVHM, so you can't even take them until after the Warrior V2 is dead.

I don't understand the point of this. There is no "end game". What exactly am I saving side quest rewards for?

Anyway, I thought the Mechro looked kind of cool. But people are seriously going to whine now about TRADE-OFFS in skill specs? I thought you guys were complaining before about them being "just passive bonuses?"

Ok, for the record, the solution to skills being "just passive bonuses" is not to make them just passive bonuses AND penalties. Increasing reload speed is good. Why exactly do we have to get a penalty to clip size to go with it? Restoring shields on a kill is good. Why do we have to get a health hit to go with it? No other class has such penalties so why does the Mechromancer? And even then, they might be livable if they were super-good bonuses and mild penalties, but 6% reload/level isn't even as good as Axton's 8% reload/level, and he has no penalties to go with it. And the -1 clip size per level virtually removes the sniper rifle from the game as an effective weapon.

The anarchy stuff might be cool, but the other skills they threw in there make the entire tree look extremely unappealing.

25. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 14:36 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:04:
Also, since beating the game a second time triggers another shift in difficulty across the entire game (basically all content is for level 50)what most people do is SKIP ALL SIDE QUESTS, so that you can complete them later and get better rewards. Not just the random stuff, but the unique ones like Tiny Tina's corrosive pistol or Moxxi's fire shotgun or the elephant gun (scope-less sniper rifle). This is because the side quests don't reset again after you beat TVHM, so you can't even take them until after the Warrior V2 is dead.

Yeah that's a pretty dumb way of implementing it.

Anyway, I thought the Mechro looked kind of cool. But people are seriously going to whine now about TRADE-OFFS in skill specs? I thought you guys were complaining before about them being "just passive bonuses?" Using the Ordered Chaos tree and changing your tactics to favor outright damage over everything else, with the ability to switch that off for some accuracy and health regen when you need it at the cost of losing your built-up stacks of bonus DPS, sounds to me like it actually has a profound effect on how you play. But though I appreciate the early release, it's a bit ill-timed... I'll be finishing Dishonored before I go back to spend more time with BL2.

Any complaint = whining apparently. No one is whining, we're saying it doesn't appear to be very attractive gameplay-wise and noted there is again some overlap in what was supposed to be a new class. Anyways yeah, it doesn't look very good on the surface. Borderlands 2 is a pretty fast paced game that isn't well suited to that sort of tradeoff gameplay, survivability is far too low to accommodate it IMHO. I'm not a big fan of the melee attack buffs in the tree either, seems like they were a lot of ideas they could have gone with but instead decided to just work within whatever framework was built. Nothing wrong with that from a design perspective but the game already had some class variety issues and this isn't a big help.

Borderlands 2 was a fun game overall and I certainly got my moneys worth out of it. Unfortunately like the first game it has some pretty annoying flaws that keep it from greatness, they are just different kinds of flaws this time around. Drop rates, class variety, gun variety could be better, skill overlap and balancing problems are the ones I would note. I'll revisit it again after a few DLC packs have come out and see how I feel then. In the meantime, many other games to play!

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 14:42.

24. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 14:04 jacobvandy

That's why they call playthrough 2 True Vault Hunter Mode... It's supposed to be harder. Your gear and your level can make a big difference, though; if you can't handle the enemies and/or the quests that you're doing, you might have to go back a little bit and train a while before taking it/them on. Go back to the first playthrough and farm the Warrior to get some better loot, etc. I actually got a unique shotgun the first time I beat him, so I had the impression an orange drop is guaranteed... But after the end of TVHM and farming him a couple dozen times, I learned that that was just lucky, lol.

Also, since beating the game a second time triggers another shift in difficulty across the entire game (basically all content is for level 50), what most people do is SKIP ALL SIDE QUESTS, so that you can complete them later and get better rewards. Not just the random stuff, but the unique ones like Tiny Tina's corrosive pistol or Moxxi's fire shotgun or the elephant gun (scope-less sniper rifle). This is because the side quests don't reset again after you beat TVHM, so you can't even take them until after the Warrior V2 is dead.

Anyway, I thought the Mechro looked kind of cool. But people are seriously going to whine now about TRADE-OFFS in skill specs? I thought you guys were complaining before about them being "just passive bonuses?" Using the Ordered Chaos tree and changing your tactics to favor outright damage over everything else, with the ability to switch that off for some accuracy and health regen when you need it at the cost of losing your built-up stacks of bonus DPS, sounds to me like it actually has a profound effect on how you play. But though I appreciate the early release, it's a bit ill-timed... I'll be finishing Dishonored before I go back to spend more time with BL2.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo