Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Time, as they say, marches on, so I shouldn't be so surprised that today marks another year since the launch of this domain, as it was on this day in 1996 that this site moved to bluesnews.com. That's right, 16 years, which I think is probably like 100 in internet years. Thanks to all of you for your support all this time.

Timely Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Truck Loader 4.
Stories: Teenís stomach removed after drinking nitrogen cocktail.
Disney Plans "Toy Story of Terror".
Halliburtonís missing nuclear waste found alongside Texas highway.
Science: Organism without a brain creates external memories for navigation.
What number is halfway between 1 and 9? Thanks OS News.
Why Einstein never received a Nobel prize for relativity.
Media: Honest Trailers - Prometheus. Thanks nin.
16 year old athlete breaks world record.
Dancing Fails Compilation.
Shortest Attention Span EVER.
Follow-up: TNG, DS9 & Enterprise Blu-ray News.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 18:27 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 18:11:

POOASS, as in "POOASS OUT!"

Oh yeah, POOASS. Not POOHEAD. HAI GUYZ POOASS HERE! He was funny.

I wonder what happened to him and his wife.

Yeah me too...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 18:11 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 17:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 13:29:
Here is to another 16 years! Don't change anything!

Drummer

Edit: This prompted me to go look at the first topic I posted in, back in 2004 (after lurking on the site for years). Interesting to see some of the same names still being prominent in the discussions.

We've lost some cool people too, though. I've always missed Zathrus.

And who doesn't want POOHEAD back?

Creston

POOASS, as in "POOASS OUT!"

I've always missed Zathrus

I wonder what happened to him and his wife.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 17:49 Armengar

Warspite too. Didn't he have a job fixing poo lakes (sanitation stuff)?  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 17:44 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 13:29:

Drummer

Edit: This prompted me to go look at the first topic I posted in, back in 2004 (after lurking on the site for years). Interesting to see some of the same names still being prominent in the discussions.

We've lost some cool people too, though. I've always missed Zathrus.

And who doesn't want POOHEAD back?

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 17:37 flechett3

Started reading back when it was Blue's Quake Rag. Been a daily visitor for I guess 16 years now! Thanks so much, Blue!  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 17:17 Dades

Thanks for running such a great PC focused site Blue.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 17:13 Cutter

It's been good times...damn good times.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 16:40 Hoop

Today marks another year for me as well only it's the 10th here.  

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: Sixteen Oct 9, 2012, 16:33 Cynips

Happy to see you're still going strong Blue! Congrats to yet another anniversary!  
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 16:28 Dan =0)

Happy birthday, Blue('s News)! And thank you for the great site!

Been reading since about 1998...

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 15:41 Armengar

16 years wow. I think I started reading about 2001 ish and created an account a year later  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 15:38 Acleacius

Wow, just amazing, thanks so much for the wonderful 16 years of gaming news excellence, Blue! Salute Party  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 15:13 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 14:31:
In fact, that really sums up the movie for me. Stupid characters. How that many stupid people managed to be selected for a $1 trillion project is mind boggling. Right from the moment the first idiot took off his helmet because the air was breathable, completely overlooking the possibility of pathogens/toxins/etc, I couldn't really understand how they could be so stupid. Meh, it's making me annoyed again just thinking of it!

Agreed completely, characterization was wildly inconsistent. It was bizarre how some characters actions would directly contradict their supposed expertise. They even went against what little character development was established, sometimes only a scene or two apart. I was really happy when the Honest Trailer called them out on the geologist with mapping tools, GPS and his little robots somehow getting lost.

Anyways damned shame, this might be one of Ridley Scott's last movies and that movie could have been a classic with a better script, all of the other pieces were there. A good story told poorly.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

19. Re: Sixteen Oct 9, 2012, 14:37 rist3903

Kudos on another anniversary, Blue. Don't think I have said it before, but thanks ever so much for the retro colors option.

Oh, and all the content and whatnot.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 14:31 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 12:21:
The worst part is that the questions/answers aren't even particularly interesting in Prometheus. The plot just suffers from continuity and characterization problems. They didn't really seem to know how to handle such a large cast either, easily 3-4 of the characters could have been entirely removed without much effect. It tweaks my film OCD when they were so close to great but fucked up such obvious stuff.

Well, yes, that too. There were so many immersion breaking moments that I got mad by the end of the movie. In Alien, I was rooting for Ripley. In Aliens, I was rooting for Ripley. In Prometheus, I was rooting for the Engineer. The woman was so stupid that I was actively hoping for her to get killed. The only truly interesting character, amusingly enough, was the one character (from the Prometheus) who wasn't actually a human.

In fact, that really sums up the movie for me. Stupid characters. How that many stupid people managed to be selected for a $1 trillion project is mind boggling. Right from the moment the first idiot took off his helmet because the air was breathable, completely overlooking the possibility of pathogens/toxins/etc, I couldn't really understand how they could be so stupid. Meh, it's making me annoyed again just thinking of it!

17. Re: Sixteen Oct 9, 2012, 13:47 Killer Kane

Hope you have a big lavish party, and get a Red Corvette!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 13:29 Mr. Tact

Drummer

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 13:44.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 13:20 Agent.X7

Wow, 16 years. I don't think I started reading until 98, but, still. Wow. Congrats, man!

In other news: Halliburton, can they BE more evil?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 13:18 Shok

Grats Blue and thanks for all the updates!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2012, 12:21 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 11:04:
Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 10:26:
Honest Trailers: Prometheus is their most spot on critique yet. That movie had so much promise and was completely bungled by horrible writing (Damon Lindelhof of Lost, figures!).

Damn straight. When is that idiot going to learn that raising all sorts of interesting questions in a tv show/movie is only fun if you actually fucking answer some?

The worst part is that the questions/answers aren't even particularly interesting in Prometheus. The plot just suffers from continuity and characterization problems. They didn't really seem to know how to handle such a large cast either, easily 3-4 of the characters could have been entirely removed without much effect. It tweaks my film OCD when they were so close to great but fucked up such obvious stuff.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo