Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored Reviews

Dishonored is not due in North American stores until tomorrow, but true to the stealthy aspects of Arkane's assassination game, reviews are already sneaking out. The PC edition currently enjoys an 89 out of 100 aggregate score on Metacritic, and there individual reviews on 1UP, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Online, The Escapist, Eurogamer, GameArena, GameInformer, GameSpot, GamesRadar, GameSpy, Giant Bomb, Hardware Heaven, IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku (thanks nin), PC Gamer, The PA Report, Polygon, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shacknews, Spong, and VG247.

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

43. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 13:43 Tumbler

I'm going to watch some Let's Play video's because I still feel like this game misses the mark for me.

I see a lot available on youtube now so hopefully my feeling are wrong.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 13:35 theyarecomingforyou

I picked this up using the 25% off voucher on GMG and look forward to playing it, though it will be competing with XCOM and Borderlands 2 for my play time.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

41. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 13:00 Elessar

Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:27:
Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:26:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:34:
Deus Ex: HR being a recent example.

Funny, I'd say DE:HR was one of the best games ever made.

Creston

You're fortunate to have that kind of taste.

Plus, you should really say it's one of your favorite games of all time. Claiming it's one of the best games ever made when it's clearly not is either disingenuous or egotistical.
So if he put IMO at the end of his "claim" you would have been okay with it? Dude, it goes without saying that these are our opinions. There's so much other stuff to debate you're going to seriously nitpick whether a guy is claiming he thinks a game is the best ever? Of course it's his opinion dipshit.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

40. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 12:36 MajorD

I typically refrain from day-one purchases, I figured I would this time around for LPs on my channel in an attempt to offer a good unbiased review of the game. I hope to have the first episode posted by tomorrow night, or Wednesday morning.

I hope Blue, or anybody eles, doesn't mind plug there. Wink

39. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 12:24 Com

It's actually impressive for a new IP from a "lesser" developer to get such high review scores across the board. Generally reviewers reserve scores of 80-85% for games with such pedigree if they are good. 90% is the threshold for games with the type of hype behind them that would get reviewers in trouble were they to criticize. Modern Warfare, etc.  

38. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 12:09 nin

TotalBiscuit weighs in:
http://youtu.be/INPKd4JGtsk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 Quboid

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:34:
briktal wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:28:
Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:12:
It really surprises me that it's not higher in Steam's sales list. I wonder if a large number of Steam customers now just buy through GMG and thus aren't counted in the list.

Creston

I'd blame it on how little information there has been about the game, compared to other games coming out on the same day (XCOM), and a crowded market with BL2, TL2, and the WoW expansion.

Anything's possible, but I wouldn't say there's been "little information." Their marketing campaign has been pretty all-encompassing, and they've had quite a lot of previews on most of the major sites.

I guess there really aren't that many fans of the Thief-type gameplay...

Creston

Oh right, there's a game to discuss too.

This is effectively the first I've heard of this game. Past references have passed me by, largely because I've managed to start avoiding pre-release stuff to avoid spoilers and getting my hopes up. I thought it was like The Saboteur, which I didn't think much of, so this may be a nice surprise.

- Quboid

36. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:50 nin

Whine some more. Please. You're entering Zeph territory.

He reminds me of assley...

35. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:49 Creston

Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:39:
Yes, please. No one needs to hear that some guy named Creston (as he likes to remind us, over and over and over)

Whine some more. Please. You're entering Zeph territory.

And you're also now on the dipshit list.

Creston

34. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:47 Creston

Btw, someone made a really awesome pic of how Dishonored's Rat Possession works.

seems legit!

Creston

33. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:47 nin

J wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:46:
Please don't feed the trolls.

I had no idea he was so batshit, honest.

32. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:46 J

Please don't feed the trolls.  

31. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:45 Quboid

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:26:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:34:
Deus Ex: HR being a recent example.

Funny, I'd say DE:HR was one of the best games ever made.

Creston

You're fortunate to have that kind of taste.

Plus, you should really say it's one of your favorite games of all time. Claiming it's one of the best games ever made when it's clearly not is either disingenuous or egotistical.

So he should make clear that what he said is his opinion and not fact because that's disingenuous or egotistical when it's clearly not ... in your opinion. Are you being disingenuous or egotistical? (Edit: none of your criteria, sales or the now-worthwhile journalists, make any difference, the best game ever is only a question of opinion and that's fact (that I am egotistical is irrelevant)).

You had a fair point (I assume you meant that reviews, especially release day reviews, are not reliable) but you've made a horrible mess of putting this point across.

- Quboid

30. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:45 Yakubs

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:43:
you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Pot, kettle.

Please go back and quote me where I make a grandiose claim that even approaches that one. Please, I can't wait to see it.

Or do you not understand the pat cliche that you just relied on as a substitute for substance?

29. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:43 nin

you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Pot, kettle.

28. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:42 Mr. Tact

Wow, nice word -- solipsistic. Guessed by context what it meant but had never seen it before.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:39 Yakubs

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:33:
/end of discussion.

Yes, please. No one needs to hear that some guy named Creston (as he likes to remind us, over and over and over) has knighted DE:HR as "one of the best games of all time" despite there being no evidence in existence to support his claim. It didn't sell tons of copies, even game journalists admitted it was a flawed game (boss battles, hello?), and none of the game mechanics are demonstrably better execution-wise than other games already out.

In other words, you liked the game a lot and you think your personal experience is enough for you to competently rank the game against the annals of video game history.

Sounds egotistical to me, if not solipsistic.

26. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:34 Creston

briktal wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:28:
Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:12:
It really surprises me that it's not higher in Steam's sales list. I wonder if a large number of Steam customers now just buy through GMG and thus aren't counted in the list.

Creston

I'd blame it on how little information there has been about the game, compared to other games coming out on the same day (XCOM), and a crowded market with BL2, TL2, and the WoW expansion.

Anything's possible, but I wouldn't say there's been "little information." Their marketing campaign has been pretty all-encompassing, and they've had quite a lot of previews on most of the major sites.

I guess there really aren't that many fans of the Thief-type gameplay...

Creston

25. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 Creston

Claiming it's one of the best games ever made when it's clearly not is either disingenuous or egotistical.

Ah, I see. That's basically become your standard answer for everything, then?

/end of discussion.

Creston

24. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:32 Mr. Tact

Without commenting on the quality of this particular game, I would say there's evidence that game publishers use early access to games for reviewers as rewards/punishments for review ratings. That's not to say all the reviewers kowtow to the publishers, but...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo