Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews

Reviews are appearing for XCOM: Enemy Unknown in advance of tomorrow's North American release of Firaxis' continuation of the UFO strategy series. There's only one review on Metacritic, but you can read write ups on Computer and Video Games, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GameSpy, gamesTM, Joystiq, Kotaku, PC Gamer, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Strategy Informer, and VentureBeat.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 10, 2012, 02:06 Fantaz

I think we need more games like this one... less graphical and more tactical though, but with nice purdy graphics.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 13:35 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 07:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 01:42:
Your work's gonna suck? Awww. I'm just going to be playing Xcom while I'm at my work.

Creston
You must be working for the Government
Wish I could do that too by the way

No, I work in IT. It's much, much better.

Creston

70. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 Mingus

I played about an 1.5 hours through the tutorial to get a feel for it. Pretty good so far. I have manged to kill my most veteran squaddie (Thin Man poison attack), but have kept the others alive thus far (course this is only on normal mode).

I recognize that I am only playing the tutorial, but it seems to me the missions thus far appear 'canned' as opposed to entirely random? I hope I shake this feeling when playing a full campaign.

Looks like I will be losing sleep over this title.

69. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 09:59 Verno

I think I'm going to run through Dishonored first, I suspect this game will suck my life away for a few weeks.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

68. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 09:51 Beamer

I forgot to preorder this. Only thing I really cared about was classic skins, though. TF2 stuff is pointless to me, and Civ5 will be $5 at the next Steam sale...  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

67. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 09:21 InBlack

I think that the EU version unlocks on the 12th. Hmmm...looking forward to some of your writeups on the game people. Im actually glad I didnt cave in and preorder, the game looks great and there are gushing reviews out there, but then again which mainstream reviews arent gushing these days?  

I have a nifty blue line!

66. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 09:18 J

nin wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 09:07:
Cutter told me the graphics for this looked "awful". True Story.
The best kind of story! He's like our pet troll in a cartoon adventure where we all end up going "Oh, Cutter!" after he makes an oopsie.

65. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 09:07 nin

Cutter told me the graphics for this looked "awful". True Story.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

64. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 08:22 J

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 06:14:
J wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 06:08:
Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:21:
Damn, figure the one time I cut it this close it's an EST unlock and here I have a 4 or 5 hour DL ahead of me, grr!
Derp!

One derp has nothing to herp with th derp. Which is why derp herp derp da derp and herp derp. If you weren't herpin the derp you'd have derped herp. Thanks for derpy da derp.
Derp?

63. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 08:11 RollinThundr

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 07:42:
Your work's gonna suck? Awww. I'm just going to be playing Xcom while I'm at my work.

Creston

Go fig, I actually DO work for the government! Well a local town but it's kinda the same thing no? So tired! So worth it, Xcom is fucking great!

62. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 07:42 SpectralMeat

Creston

Steam: SpectralMeat

61. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 06:14 Cutter

J wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 06:08:
Damn, figure the one time I cut it this close it's an EST unlock and here I have a 4 or 5 hour DL ahead of me, grr!
Derp!

One thing has nothing to do with th other. Which is why derp applies solely to you and your ilk. If you weren't herpin the derp you'd have known that. Thanks for proving me correct.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

60. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 06:08 J

Derp!

59. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:54 Flatline

Classic is a fucking challenge. I'm 4 or 5 missions in and just got TPK'd when two thin men warped into the mission map behind me and got a nice fat firing angle on my entire squad. I ragequit, and probably will need to start again, WITHOUT the tutorial, which went on for entirely too long and led you by the goddamn nose too long too. In fact, I suspect that my frustration was at the tutorial taking 90 minutes to play through. Although warping enemies into superior firing positions is pretty much one of the most infuriating game "cheats" out there.

The defensive angles are a little funky too. Baddies would fire on me in angles I'd swear I was in full cover and it'd bypass cover entirely. I guess it was like right along the damn boarder.

Still, that means the AI is good if I'm cursing at the game on mission 5.

Edit: I also had my first altitude bug which on that same level which cost me my assault trooper. I moved him into cover and he jumped down a ledge instead.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 02:03.

58. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:48 RailWizard

Bucky wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 01:10:
My third mission (the first where you basically get full control) and I have two rookies wiped out. Very, very happy I decided to only start on Normal Ironman.

I'm already attached the Rookie (squaddie now) that panicked and still managed to blow away a thin man.

lol I lost my sergeant(heavy) and 2 rookies on that. Last guy managed to save the bitch and kill them all, but now he's out for 15 days. I'm playing on classic tho. Sleep time heh.

57. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:45 Krodge

Aww, still 2 more days 18 more hours until it unlocks here  

56. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:42 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:59:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:58:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.....my hard drive is purring to the sound of it unpacking....

Work is going to suck tomorrow, it'll be worth it.

Creston

55. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:10 Bucky

My third mission (the first where you basically get full control) and I have two rookies wiped out. Very, very happy I decided to only start on Normal Ironman.

I'm already attached the Rookie (squaddie now) that panicked and still managed to blow away a thin man.

54. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 00:52 RailWizard

Sepharo wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 00:31:
This update/unpack is taking entirely too long. Almost makes me think there's something wrong with my computer.

edit: Great now it says "corrupt game files"

Restart steam.

53. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 00:31 Sepharo

This update/unpack is taking entirely too long. Almost makes me think there's something wrong with my computer.

edit: Great now it says "corrupt game files"

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 00:46.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo