Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews

Reviews are appearing for XCOM: Enemy Unknown in advance of tomorrow's North American release of Firaxis' continuation of the UFO strategy series. There's only one review on Metacritic, but you can read write ups on Computer and Video Games, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GameSpy, gamesTM, Joystiq, Kotaku, PC Gamer, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Strategy Informer, and VentureBeat.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:57 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:44:
Yeah, I meant you. I didn't bother looking at your post history, but seemed to remember you were a "never buy before it's been out for a bit" type. Which isn't good or bad, just "is what it is."

Well it is pretty pointless now, it basically amounts to blackmail(pre-order or you don't get all this cool shit...).

At one point it was necessary to secure a hard-copy from the local store because games selling out was a real problem back then. Now it's just another gimmick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:46 ledhead1969

Looks great, can't wait for tomorrow.

Acleacius, I'm sick of your stupid sig. I'm not sure of your intention/agenda but it is time you learned a few things. Quoting without context is the hallmark of a weak argument.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_eisenhower_quote.htm

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:44 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I meant you. I didn't bother looking at your post history, but seemed to remember you were a "never buy before it's been out for a bit" type. Which isn't good or bad, just "is what it is."  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:40 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:23:
Isn't that against policy for you?
You talking to me? If so, umm what? Pre-ordering? I don't particularly like it, especially if in this case the first people to do so don't get all the goodies(the unlocks are a slimy idea...), or even worse if it's the 'founders' crap that F2P games are doing now, but I'm not 100% opposed to it, no.

I do think this trend is a bit bad for games in the long run because it makes people feel like if they don't pre-order then they may as well just skip it entirely.

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:23 Mr. Tact

Isn't that against policy for you?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:21 RailWizard

Well shit. Pre-ordered. Held out to the last day at least. lol.  

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:45 Acleacius

Sounds amazing!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:38 dj LiTh

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:27:
Riker wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:25:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 09:49:
The RPS reviewer said this: "When I played it, I played it for some 50 hours and counting. I regret none of that time, I have missed showers, meals and Quality Time with girlfriend, cat and Dishonored in order to obtain it and I want to spend even more of it in XCOM instead of writing these damnable words."

It's interesting that some reviews say they played for 20 hours, but this reviewer spent 50+. Perhaps it depends on the difficulty level? I'm going with Classic.

I'm somewhat annoyed that Dishonored is coming out at the exact same time. FML. Kotaku calls it "Deus Ex meets BioShock meets Thief meets Half-Life." Wow. Wowowowow.

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I'd say its 1 part he's a true xcom junky, and another part he played classic as well. More aliens, more difficulty, longer matches.

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:35 nin

I'm somewhat annoyed that Dishonored is coming out at the exact same time. FML. Kotaku calls it "Deus Ex meets BioShock meets Thief meets Half-Life."

Yes! Yes it does! Whoo!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:27 Beamer

Riker wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:25:
The RPS reviewer said this: "When I played it, I played it for some 50 hours and counting. I regret none of that time, I have missed showers, meals and Quality Time with girlfriend, cat and Dishonored in order to obtain it and I want to spend even more of it in XCOM instead of writing these damnable words."

It's interesting that some reviews say they played for 20 hours, but this reviewer spent 50+. Perhaps it depends on the difficulty level? I'm going with Classic.

I'm somewhat annoyed that Dishonored is coming out at the exact same time. FML. Kotaku calls it "Deus Ex meets BioShock meets Thief meets Half-Life." Wow. Wowowowow.

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 10:25 Riker

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 09:49 dj LiTh

www.computerandvideogames.com : 9.2 / 10
www.gameinformer.com : 9.0 / 10
www.gameinformer.com : 9.5 / 10
www.gamespy.com : 5 / 5
www.gamestm.co.uk : 9 / 10
www.joystiq.com : 4.5 / 5
www.pcgamer.com : 87 / 100
www.strategyinformer.com : 9.0 / 10

RPS / kataku / Venture beat dont have ratings but seem pretty positive about it. I just couldnt wait for metacritic, although user reviews will tell the full story, i'm quite certain it will be well received.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2012, 10:00.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo