Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews

Reviews are appearing for XCOM: Enemy Unknown in advance of tomorrow's North American release of Firaxis' continuation of the UFO strategy series. There's only one review on Metacritic, but you can read write ups on Computer and Video Games, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GameSpy, gamesTM, Joystiq, Kotaku, PC Gamer, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Strategy Informer, and VentureBeat.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

52. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:59 Paranoid Jack

BOO YA! Unpacking early... game on!

Talk to you in a couple days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:59 RollinThundr

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:58:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.....my hard drive is purring to the sound of it unpacking....

Work is going to suck tomorrow, it'll be worth it.

50. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:58 dj LiTh

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.....my hard drive is purring to the sound of it unpacking....  

49. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:58 Bucky

RailWizard wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:57:
It's unpacking! Boogie

Looks like they cut it loose a few minutes early. Squee!

48. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:57 RailWizard

It's unpacking! Boogie  

47. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:51 Flatline

9 minutes to the unlock.

I love living on the West Coast sometimes.

46. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:35 dj LiTh

Nice one Cutter! Its 5:35am here in Germania and i'm refusing to sleep for the unlock!  

45. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:21 Cutter

Damn, figure the one time I cut it this close it's an EST unlock and here I have a 4 or 5 hour DL ahead of me, grr!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

44. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:17 Bucky

Sepharo wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 23:12:
Midnight or 3AM Eastern?

According to the store page it looks like Midnight EST.

43. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:16 Paranoid Jack

Steams says it unlocks in an hour here...

So the only hold out is Prez?

42. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:12 Sepharo

Midnight or 3AM Eastern?  

41. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 22:58 Cutter

Haha! I caved and bought it. Shit for $35...enh why not. haven't bought anything in a while and probably won't be buying anything else new for a while - Steam Xmas sale aside.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

40. Re: Was just at Target... Oct 8, 2012, 21:55 Dev

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 14:48:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 14:45:
If GMG offered refund for Steam games I would have picked it up.
IT'S NOT FAIR!

I bet it requires steam activation. You'd still be stuck waiting til midnight to play.
Yep, any steamworks game that requires steam to activate regardless of where you buy it, typically has pre-release protection. They leave a critical file or two (like the .exe) off the disc and it has to download and decrypt, but only if its after the date.

If you bought that off the shelf, you could take it home, install it, and then wait for midnight to unlock it. Just like every single other purchaser.

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 21:50 RailWizard

Flatline wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 20:37:
WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 19:48:
Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:27:

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I bought all of the originals (when they were newly released) and played the crap out of them. One of the greatest things about the originals--I thought--was the truly creepy, other-wordly, music played behind the turn-based combat sequences. I loved that music, and I loved that atmosphere! I downloaded and played the demo of the new game and it looks like a lot of fun, but in the one battle sequence I've played through in the demo (don't know how large the demo is, really) the background music and sound effects sounded much more like Rap-meets-Disco-Meets-New Age. That spine-tingling creepiness of the original wasn't there in the demo. Demo seemed fun, though, and true to some aspects of the game.

But I've always wondered why, if you are going to spend the money to acquire the IP and develop the game--why wouldn't you, couldn't you use the *original* combat sound tracks for the game? To my knowledge, no one attempting remakes of the series has ever done that and it has always mystified me. That creepy music during those periods heightened the tension and really transported to the player into an unearthly scenario. IE, it really creeped the player out--which is what made it so much fun for me and the millions of other people who've played the originals since.

Has anyone mentioned whether the game ever gets that right? It's hard to understand how a remake could miss that key element in the original games.

Have you *played* the original X-Com recently? I have- this past weekend. The music is incredibly basic MIDI synth tracks that I found incredibly 90's cheesy. In fact, it reminded me of the soundtrack to the Genesis game Shadowrun (which incidentally I love because of how bad it is). I chuckled at it more than once. I suspect the tension of playing the game back then when everything was new and tense and cutting-edge was what gave the music it's appeal to you. In this case, memory really is rose-tinted.

Seriously- go back and listen to the original soundtrack. If they used that music today it'd be ridiculed. Several remakes do manage to squeeze in the original themes and variations on those themes, but to just copy the music over A/B would be terrible.

The music for the PS1 version of UFO Defense was good, really good. As in not midi. I think TFTD was on PS1 too, but I never saw it, anywhere.

Actually last time I played UFOD I found someone had ripped the PS1 music and modded it into the PC version which was cool.

edit: found a clip on YT: Link.

edit2: better yet, here is the guide for getting the PS1 music into the PC version of UFO:Defense should the need arise. heh. linky. Or you can just grab and listen to the music here.

edit3: listening again, damn this could be the best game music for a sci-fi based game ever...lol whoever made this deserves more credit. Only other game I can think of that comes close would be Starcraft.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2012, 22:22.

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 20:37 Flatline

WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 19:48:

Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I bought all of the originals (when they were newly released) and played the crap out of them. One of the greatest things about the originals--I thought--was the truly creepy, other-wordly, music played behind the turn-based combat sequences. I loved that music, and I loved that atmosphere! I downloaded and played the demo of the new game and it looks like a lot of fun, but in the one battle sequence I've played through in the demo (don't know how large the demo is, really) the background music and sound effects sounded much more like Rap-meets-Disco-Meets-New Age. That spine-tingling creepiness of the original wasn't there in the demo. Demo seemed fun, though, and true to some aspects of the game.

But I've always wondered why, if you are going to spend the money to acquire the IP and develop the game--why wouldn't you, couldn't you use the *original* combat sound tracks for the game? To my knowledge, no one attempting remakes of the series has ever done that and it has always mystified me. That creepy music during those periods heightened the tension and really transported to the player into an unearthly scenario. IE, it really creeped the player out--which is what made it so much fun for me and the millions of other people who've played the originals since.

Has anyone mentioned whether the game ever gets that right? It's hard to understand how a remake could miss that key element in the original games.

Have you *played* the original X-Com recently? I have- this past weekend. The music is incredibly basic MIDI synth tracks that I found incredibly 90's cheesy. In fact, it reminded me of the soundtrack to the Genesis game Shadowrun (which incidentally I love because of how bad it is). I chuckled at it more than once. I suspect the tension of playing the game back then when everything was new and tense and cutting-edge was what gave the music it's appeal to you. In this case, memory really is rose-tinted.

Seriously- go back and listen to the original soundtrack. If they used that music today it'd be ridiculed. Several remakes do manage to squeeze in the original themes and variations on those themes, but to just copy the music over A/B would be terrible.

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 19:48 WaltC

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 17:18 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 17:04:
Eh, probably the cynic in me. I expect people to be idiots, especially on the Internet.

It's pretty much the new normal.

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 17:12 Beamer

I think I'll preorder. I have no time now, and won't for months (when the game is cheaper,) but I think I actually feel like encouraging more TBS games.

The add-on of Civ5 doesn't interest me much: I can always get it cheap at a Steam sale, and I love Civ4 so much that I doubt I'd even install 5...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 17:04 Mr. Tact

Eh, probably the cynic in me. I expect people to be idiots, especially on the Internet.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 16:58 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 15:48:
*shrug* Never heard the guy before. If I knew going in he did review satire my response would have been different. I just assumed he was the loser he was presenting himself as.

I've never heard of the guy either, but when he started pulling shit out of his ass it was pretty apparent he wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo