Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the ten bestselling games for the past week:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Torchlight II
  4. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  5. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Darksiders II: Death Lives
  8. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
  9. Arma II: Combined Operations
  10. War of the Roses

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:43 jacobvandy

Bhruic wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:47:
Hmm, wonder why Skyrim popped so far back up the list? Was there a sale I missd? I was thinking it could be blamed on Hearthfire, but it's lower than both the base game and Dawnguard.

Midweek sale, coinciding with the release of Hearthfire, was 50% off all TES games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:40 RailWizard

Sepharo wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:08:
Wow okay maybe I underestimated the amount of marketing going on for XCOM... http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/fo09et/futurama-the-xcom-project

heh well here in canuckistan we can't view that video and I'm too lazy to hax0r my shit just for that. However when I say 'hype', it's not just media blitz I mean, but also all of us who played the originals and have been going on and on about it for all these years. People saw that and remembered.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:33 Bucky

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:30:
I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

I was thinking the same thing, except I'll be starting on Normal Ironman. I want to play at least 1 game to get a feel for the mechanics before I dive into Classic.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:32 ForgedReality

I hadn't really seen anything of this new XCOM before today. O.o  

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:30 dj LiTh

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:21:
Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:29 Will W

Not sure if everyone has seen it yet, but you can start your pre-loads of X-Com now.  

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:21 Paranoid Jack

Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:08 Sepharo

Wow okay maybe I underestimated the amount of marketing going on for XCOM... http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/fo09et/futurama-the-xcom-project  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:59 RailWizard

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:26:
In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

Yeah ok. Mechwarrior wasn't niche either I suppose. lol feel free to keep rewriting history, not like I give a fuck, I just think it's funny.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:47 Bhruic

Hmm, wonder why Skyrim popped so far back up the list? Was there a sale I missd? I was thinking it could be blamed on Hearthfire, but it's lower than both the base game and Dawnguard.  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:47 ForgedReality

The Elder Sculls? O.o  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:35 Beelzebud

I don't buy it. PC gamers wanted a strategy follow-up. That is why there was such a negative backlash to the shooter game. I didn't pre-order this game to prove a point about the shooter, or from marketing hype.

I bought this game because I've waited for over a decade for a proper X-Com sequel.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:31 Sepharo

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:19:
It's funny. When they announced the Xcom shooter, one of the genius suits at 2K made this comment:

"Turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth," Hartmann said. "But this is not just a commercial thing - strategy games are just not contemporary."

Funny how Xcom Enemy Unknown has been number one on the Steam top seller's list for nearly a week now, beating out shooters Borderlands 2, and Uncharted.

I guess gamers like strategy games after all. I'll bet that guy got his job just because he has an MBA. I doubt someone that would make a comment like that has ever even played games.

I actually think that the XCOM shooter has a lot to do with the success of Enemy Unknown. I think hardcore PC gamers are channeling their distaste for that into sales for this game. Not that it can't stand on its own but that aspect certainly aids the hype: "This is a real XCOM game."

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:29 Dev

RailWizard wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:20:
It is pretty strange actually. X-COM has always been a niche game. I guess this is proof that hype works.
Yes, because all those real hour long gameplay videos were pure hype. Those videos that sold me on a game I was going to wait to buy.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:26 Beelzebud

In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:20 RailWizard

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:19:
It's funny. When they announced the Xcom shooter, one of the genius suits at 2K made this comment:

"Turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth," Hartmann said. "But this is not just a commercial thing - strategy games are just not contemporary."

Funny how Xcom Enemy Unknown has been number one on the Steam top seller's list for nearly a week now, beating out shooters Borderlands 2, and Uncharted.

I guess gamers like strategy games after all. I'll bet that guy got his job just because he has an MBA. I doubt someone that would make a comment like that has ever even played games.

It is pretty strange actually. X-COM has always been a niche game. I guess this is proof that hype works.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:19 Beelzebud

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:05 dj LiTh

Two more days to go! The wait has been excruciating! I dont remember the days passing so slowly since i was a teenager over a decade ago!  

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo