Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the ten bestselling games for the past week:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Torchlight II
  4. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  5. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Darksiders II: Death Lives
  8. The Elder Sculls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
  9. Arma II: Combined Operations
  10. War of the Roses

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 19:11 Paranoid Jack

Yifes wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:21:
Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

I'm going to go classic, but not sure about the ironman mode. The recent Machinima reivew said that there can be movement selection issues on multi-level maps. Basically, your unit can potentially end up on the wrong level, in the open without any cover. I can see myself losing a unit because of a bug like that and ruining my ironman experience. Even the devs said ironman on your first playthrough is a bad idea, and I will probably save that for when the game is a bit more polished.

Also, europe seems like a great starting spot, as getting an early workshops to launch that satellite for extra funding before the first month is up seems like a good idea.

@dj LiTh & Yifes, I would think being low on credits the entire first month would be more of an issue. But then there are always going to be trade offs. Once we start playing we can compare how things are unfolding. Whatever you do do not pick Asia. You'll just be handicapping yourself. The perks are not usable until later in the game which make them almost worthless. As far as picking Europe to cover more countries at once are you referring to the Interceptor patrolling the skies? I think they treat it as a whole not as separate countries.

I'm not sure I want to go Classic/Ironman until I have learned the tactics inside and out. Since any little mistake will set you back with squad members dying. Of course knowing that it is going to happen and expecting it from the start would lessen the pain a bit. I just may try it too. I loved Ironman in ToEE.

@Prez, glad some others let you know how that GMG 10%/$10 credit works. I was on the site ready to order when my wife and two daughters told me they were ready to go out. Just got back and will be putting the order thru right after this post.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:48 Flatline

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 17:29:
Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:04:
Okay who is the biggest classic X-COM fan here on Blues (That would be besides me) who is also buying XCOM on release day? If you convince me of your faithfulness to the almighty Microprose version and swear on your Ufopedia that the new one will be every bit as good I will preorder.

Otherwise, at least let me know if it is true to its divine heritage once you've played it and I'll buy it.

XCOM is my favorite game of all time. With Tie Fighter coming a very close 2nd. I've watched and read everything there is about this game. Played the demo, it feels like xcom. I cant stress that enough.....it feels like xcom....No other xcom clone ever gave me that feeling. This is the real deal. Buy it Prez! If its a flop you have my permission to a verbal public flogging of me!

The interesting thing is that they ditched the biggest leftover of Turn-Based games; the action point.

Not only do I not miss it from the demo, but I immediately basically had a "eureka!" moment. I *loved* x-com but *hated* the fiddliness of action points. It's one of those things where what little was lost is far surpassed by how much better it is not having to f*ck with action points.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:41 Flatline

RailWizard wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:59:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:26:
In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

Yeah ok. Mechwarrior wasn't niche either I suppose. lol feel free to keep rewriting history, not like I give a fuck, I just think it's funny.

If we're going to be honest about 90's computer gaming, the entire industry was a niche.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:33 Jerykk

Good to see XCOM topping the charts. Not so good to see that Dishonored isn't even on the charts.  

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:09 The Half Elf

Okay who is the biggest classic X-COM fan here on Blues (That would be besides me) who is also buying XCOM on release day? If you convince me of your faithfulness to the almighty Microprose version and swear on your Ufopedia that the new one will be every bit as good I will preorder.

Otherwise, at least let me know if it is true to its divine heritage once you've played it and I'll buy it.

Pres I will even swear on my original X-Com floppies. Granted that you would have to quit playing Snuggle Truck for awhile.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:07 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:37:
Yes that is $10 towards any future purchase, which is fine with me. I'll probably use it with Dishonored or some other game if I can combine it with a 25% off code or something.

I'm not sure when you'll get your credit, but a 25% code is up until 10/8 (3 more days). (And then they'll likely just replace it with another, either 25, or 20%.)

Should be within 24 hrs after XCOM releases. According to their promo page

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 17:52 Dades

The demo gives you just a very small and limited taste but the elements are all there, it is definitely built on the principles that made the originals so good. I rarely ever preorder games and I am a huge XCOM fan, I preordered this.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 17:29 dj LiTh

XCOM is my favorite game of all time. With Tie Fighter coming a very close 2nd. I've watched and read everything there is about this game. Played the demo, it feels like xcom. I cant stress that enough.....it feels like xcom....No other xcom clone ever gave me that feeling. This is the real deal. Buy it Prez! If its a flop you have my permission to a verbal public flogging of me!

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:58 jacobvandy

The $10 credit for XCOM on GMG is for the NA version only, because for some reason they aren't allowed to allow us to use the 25% off voucher for this specific region. Boggles my mind, especially since that credit is being extended to ALL pre-orders, including those who bought it during the trade-in special a few weeks ago that already got a price of $32-38, depending on whether it had a base 20% or 10% off.

I wish they'd be a bit more consistent with their pre-order offers, I don't want to have to worry about exactly *when* I place my order so that I am able to get the best deal. Their policy usually is "you get the price you got at the time," even if it was an error on their part (initially they listed BL2 for $50). Though they do allow people to cancel, and then place it again... Makes no sense.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:40 Yifes

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:21:
Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

I'm going to go classic, but not sure about the ironman mode. The recent Machinima reivew said that there can be movement selection issues on multi-level maps. Basically, your unit can potentially end up on the wrong level, in the open without any cover. I can see myself losing a unit because of a bug like that and ruining my ironman experience. Even the devs said ironman on your first playthrough is a bad idea, and I will probably save that for when the game is a bit more polished.

Also, europe seems like a great starting spot, as getting an early workshops to launch that satellite for extra funding before the first month is up seems like a good idea.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:39 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:37:
Yes that is $10 towards any future purchase, which is fine with me. I'll probably use it with Dishonored or some other game if I can combine it with a 25% off code or something.

I'm not sure when you'll get your credit, but a 25% code is up until 10/8 (3 more days). (And then they'll likely just replace it with another, either 25, or 20%.)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:37 DarkCntry

It won't be the exact same experience as the original, but it will be fairly close in my opinion. The early build I played a couple months ago showed that Firaxis was aiming to keep the feel of the original and attempting to keep the pace moving.

Not sure the difficulty level it was on, but the Tall Men I encountered used equal amounts of coordination that I did when moving into position, more often than not they opted to stay back and pick me off from a distance until I tried to close the gap...then decided it was a good idea to flank me. The AI's ability is near-par from my memory of the original, and in a few places, better.

And what I experienced of the base side of things was almost a carbon-copy of the original. Researched a few Sectoid blasters, got a power armor, and built up a SHIV.

The combat itself felt smoother to me since they consolidated skills to more automated effects (IE: the dash when you moved past the normal run range). Still on the fence about the 'skills' though, I liked the inventory management that kept me pondering when I should use the grenade or rocket launcher in the original.

Overall, as someone who bought the original game on it's release day I found myself pleasantly surprised at how Firaxis did.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:37 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:28 nin

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:22:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:11:
Just saw this... GreenManGaming XCom: Enemy Unknown special with 10% off plus $10 credit to your GMG account bring it in at $34.99 for both XCom: Enemy Unknown and Civ V.

I'm on it.

I scrolled down that page and saw a note that said "vouchers are not valid for this product". Did it work for you?

Last I heard, no. You're basically paying $45, and getting a $10 credit towards a future purchase.

Which, as much as I use GMG, I should hop on, but between dishonored and now the $140 towards project eternity, I'm broke for a few weeks.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:22 Prez

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:11:
Just saw this... GreenManGaming XCom: Enemy Unknown special with 10% off plus $10 credit to your GMG account bring it in at $34.99 for both XCom: Enemy Unknown and Civ V.

I'm on it.

I scrolled down that page and saw a note that said "vouchers are not valid for this product". Did it work for you?

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:11 Paranoid Jack

I'm on it.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:08 nin

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:32:
I hadn't really seen anything of this new XCOM before today. O.o

Was the internet out in your cave?

And damn, dishonored not even in the top 10...

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:04 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:58 Slashman

Turglar wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:51:
XCOM looks decent, but firaxis isn't getting any more of my money until they add pitboss to civ 5 like they promised some 2 years ago.

OK...wtf is Pitboss?? I'm a Civ newbie. Only started playing Civ 5 a week or so ago.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:51 Turglar

XCOM looks decent, but firaxis isn't getting any more of my money until they add pitboss to civ 5 like they promised some 2 years ago.  

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo