Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt

The Novacore Studios Website has news that the Legends of Pegasus developer has declared insolvency, and has ceased operations (thanks Slashman). The Kalypso Forums confirm this means this means an end to support for the recently released 4X strategy game, inspiring frustration in users hoping that some show-stopper bugs, some of whom are now inquiring about whether this should entitle them to refunds. Here's Kalypso's explanation of the situatuion:

Developer Novacore had to fine for bancruptcy this week. We assume there will be no further development of patches for Legends of Pegasus but cannot make any statements on the state of the bancruptcy.

It is also legally not possible for us to just hand out the source code of the game for further community development as the code also includes software that is not open source.

This situation is very unsatisfactory, for us but of course especially for you. But it is all we can say for now.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 20:03 Slashman

The writing was kind of on the wall though. I was following this game on the Kalypso forums and there was never any word on there from any of the actual dev team...just from Kalypso mods.

They never released any gameplay vids or gave any hands-on previews. People had been asking them to provide beta access for preorders. There was never anything.

The only thing they ever released was some kind of online magazine type thing with all this positive spin and then the game went live and the crap hit the fan. Hard.

The German players got it first and flooded the forums with all the bugs they were finding...and there were heaps and heaps. From there, everyone knew what was going on... basically another SotS 2, except this time from an unknown developer with no history of sticking to their game for the long haul like Kerberos.

All Kalypso did was give out free game codes for Dungeons and Patrician 4. And then they stopped even that. There was never a refund offer like Kerberos did with SotS 2. Steam actually relented and gave refunds to some people when they protested hard enough and others waited to see if they could fix the game. Guess that will never happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 19:57 Cutter

So LoP was a flop?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 19:49 Creston

mag wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:43:
We, as gamers, really need to stop supporting devs/publishers that just release shit that is broken.

Because then this (can) happen, and you're left with a broken game.

Creston

Except that this actually happened because gamers did not support the devs that released a broken game. It was universally panned, and no one bought it. So they went bankrupt.

So the answer is to buy MORE broken games? Yeah, no. This got TERRIBLE word of mouth when it was released basically as a non-functional product. If devs can't deliver something that works, they deserve to go bunk.

Creston

16. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 16:59 mag

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:43:
We, as gamers, really need to stop supporting devs/publishers that just release shit that is broken.

Creston

Except that this actually happened because gamers did not support the devs that released a broken game. It was universally panned, and no one bought it. So they went bankrupt.

15. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 16:43 Creston

Creston

14. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 16:40 Agent.X7

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:18:
I wonder why they can't release source that doesn't contain licensed code?

They likely used pre-packaged solutions for some of their games stuff. You can't release the code if it contains things like Havoc physics or whatnot because their code is not yours to release, and it's obviously needed for the game to function.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 16:18 Bill Borre

I wonder why they can't release source that doesn't contain licensed code?  

12. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:52 ASeven

Kalypso only move now is to offer refunds. They knew this game was broken when it released, now it is their responsibility to offer refunds for a game that will never be fixed and isn't playable.  

11. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:39 hb3d

Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:25:
A failed studio releasing source?
Yes, I can think of a couple of examples off the top of my head: Golgatha and Cat Mother Studios.

I am sure there are others if you research it.

10. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:37 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:25:
What happens when you buy an indie game sometimes.
I don't think that has much to do with it.

Remember that studio that spent $100 million on that MMORPG and folded a month after its launch?

$100 million aint no indie. And you can find other stories of dev studios closing or going bankrupt, ones that did AAA titles.

9. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:37 RaZ0r!

They did themselves in when they talked smack on Sins of a Solar Empire in their original trailer.  

8. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:23 Darks

No surprise here, their game was unfinished and it sucked to no end. I really wanted to like this game but it was not a very well planned out game and the game mechanics were terribly implemented.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

7. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:20 Trevellian

Had high hopes this would be another great game very similar to Sins of a Solar Empire... glad I didn't buy it.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

6. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 15:15 Prez

Well this just sucks. I didn't buy their game because of the reviews saying g it was nowhere near finished, and now it is obvious it never will be. Too bad for the developers, and too bad for the customers. I certainly wouldn't expect a refund, since declaring bankruptcy means they have no money.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 14:29 jacobvandy

Guess all that money they spent on full page ads in PC Gamer (including the pseudo-cover that is so annoyingly glued to the front of the mag that you don't want to take it off...) didn't help them like they thought it would!  

4. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 14:25 Ozmodan

What happens when you buy an indie game sometimes.  

3. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 14:25 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:07:
Also, now that they're dead, I wonder if they'll release the source and let the modding community clean it up.
Read above, they answered that question.

Also, have you ever known that to happen? A failed studio releasing source? All the source releasing stuff I can think of were from studios that still existed, such as id releasing source for older games.

2. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 14:07 jdreyer

That's too bad. It sounds like they released early due to financial pressures, which of course releasing a game that buggy put them in a death spiral. I wonder if they could have done a kickstarter with what they had, explaining they just needed a few more months to polish it up.

Also, now that they're dead, I wonder if they'll release the source and let the modding community clean it up.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 6, 2012, 13:52 deqer

Oh snap.  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo