Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Project Eternity Stretch Goals

Obsidian Community Forum and the Project Eternity Kickstarter Page outline more stretch goals for this upcoming RPG. With the project at over 200% of its $1.1 million goal, they haul out the big guns to start attracting serious money, offering exclusive in-game pets for $50 backers, a hardcover book for $250 backers, and adding players names to the game for $500. They also announce more details on their mega-dungeon goals and offer expanded answers to questions from reddit about the game's combat system. Thanks nin.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 7, 2012, 02:25 Creston

Zanderat1 wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 20:51:
Grumble, grumble, sigh. Here is even more money Obsidian....

Actually, my fear for this is that given the scale of their KS success, anyone who would have bought this is already in on the KS and it's actual sales will flop...........

But would that matter, really? They've already made their money off the game, and there's no 600 dipshits from some publisher that all need their salaries drawn from the game as well, nor do 9 million stockholders need to be "pleased" by sales. (look at the credits of Borderlands 2. There are more idiots from 2K listed in the credits than people from Gearbox. And every single one of the 2K guys has some kind of "director" in his or her fucking title.)

Obsidian makes the game they want to make, they all get paid for two years, and they lose no money on the game. I'm sure they'd love to sell an additional 9 million copies, but so what if they don't?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 23:48 Bhruic

Actually, my fear for this is that given the scale of their KS success, anyone who would have bought this is already in on the KS and it's actual sales will flop...........

It doesn't really matter. The project has already been funded at that point. I mean, yes, they want to have enough money to stay afloat, but they don't need a large number of sales to recoup their investment - their investment was effectively already paid for. The only issue is whether they'll make enough money to self-fund their next game, or if they'll have to go back to Kickstarter again.

17. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 22:04 Axis

Well the guys from Obsidian pretty much summed it up without giving details, but I'll give the details.

AAA Publishers don't give out funds unless its new hat. It has to be the flavor of the year and appeal to the current generation. And if the companies do make something different, publishers leave them in the cold for PR/Adverts/etc and quickly dismantled and absorbed to other teams leaving no support. It's purely about the money with safe bets only.

This is also the reason I can't stand most AAA games anymore, passion is gone, replaced entirely by bottom line. Even if the devs have passion, they are hog tied by publishers often butt raped intentionally or not till they just don't give a shit.

And this is why indies are flourishing, because they don't need bazillions in sales to cover all the publishing red tape bullshit while providing innovation or nostalgic games at a reasonable price -- free to work at their own pace and do what they want unrestricted because they are passionate about their ideas.

So I'm glad to help fund a AAA company saying "F U" to the publishers. Especially when this AAA company made some of the most memorable and enjoyable games in history. Hopefully the end result will be overwhelming success, and some asshole rep in some asshole publishing company will say "Shit, wish we wouldda funded that!!".

And wishful thinking... more and more AAA companies do the same, so those same reps in 5 years time will be the one going out begging top-notch developers to be chosen as their backers, instead of the other way around.

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 21:24 jacobvandy

Soooo doubtful. Just getting the game on Steam opens it up to a built-in market of TENS of MILLIONS of people, where even average titles can easily sell hundreds of thousands of copies (because of epic discounts, when needed). The most backers I've ever seen for one of these projects is the Double Fine Adventure with 87k, so even they are lightyears away from the point of market saturation upon official release of the game.

If Project Eternity is even half as amazing as it's shaping up to be, I reckon they will sell at least a million copies over the life of the product, if not right in the beginning at full price of $30-40 or whatever they're going for. Despite how popular and successful Kickstarter seems to be becoming, it is still very much a niche activity, with the vocal and dedicated few throwing in way more money on average than the masses ever would, at least without an actual game to look at and read about.

15. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 20:51 Zanderat1

Grumble, grumble, sigh. Here is even more money Obsidian....

No matter. This is my third KS (Dead State and the Loot Drop old school RPG are the others). Don't think that I can float too many more...

14. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 20:37 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:39:
Jumped on this yesterday and got the last 20.00 spot.

Every time a $20 backer ups their pledge it frees up another spot at that level. I've seen it "sell out" four or five times at least, and I'm only checking on a daily or so basis.

13. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 19:40 nin

I think it's your near constant negitivity and shitting in threads.

(also I'm a bastard.)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 19:30 deqer

why do you have to hurt my feelings, nin.  

11. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 18:39 xXBatmanXx

Jumped on this yesterday and got the last 20.00 spot.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 18:11 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:02:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 17:13:
Hopefully they'll have dialogue lines for stupid characters, like they did in Fallout 2.

Huh?
Nu-uh!

Most people have evil spirits. You? You have stupid spirits. Go see shaman, get hole in head... Big hole... Very big... Huge.

Yeah that'd...be awesome.
And along with the other videos I found, here's that one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saVkwzx_T-k

9. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 18:02 Mashiki Amiketo

Hopefully they'll have dialogue lines for stupid characters, like they did in Fallout 2.

Huh?
Nu-uh!

Most people have evil spirits. You? You have stupid spirits. Go see shaman, get hole in head... Big hole... Very big... Huge.

Yeah that'd...be awesome.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 17:57 Dev

Huh?
Nu-uh!

Creston
ZOMG! That was the most hilarious thing EVAR! Creating a super low intel with high strength char. You can only talk to people in grunts. But then when you met that one guy early on who was also "mentally challenged" you could each interpret the other's grunts as complete and intelligible phrases!
I was laughing so hard I was actually crying. Epic!
When I made that char I thought "nah surely they didn't bother to make anything for a totally stupid character". But they did! BRILLIANT STUFF.

Edit:
And of course there's vids on youtube:
FO2 including initial elder speech, conversation with Torr as I mentioned, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqotv_OpW6o
FO1 returning chip to overseer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBjeLiWhek

Needless to say, spoilers.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2012, 18:48.

7. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 17:13 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:04:
deqer wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:54:
I dunno guys, do we want to play a game called "Eternity" ? err, I mean "Project Eternity" ? I don't. What a cheesy title. I don't even feel like clicking the website link to see.

We're thrilled you won't be apart of it! Maybe when the character creator goal gets met, I'll name a character after you and set his intelligence to the lowest available. And then get him killed, over and over and over...

Huh?
Nu-uh!

Creston

6. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 17:12 Creston

I really, really, really hope we'll reach the Adventurer's Hall. Building an All-Monk party would be exactly the kind of thing that I love doing. (I played BG2 with an All-Mage party. Gruesome in the start, but oh God did it become fun at the end. Poor Irenicus had no clue what the fuck was happening. Every one of his spells was countered. :P)

Edit: A companion pet at $50 eh? Sigh.

/ups pledge to $50.

DAMN YOU OBSIDIAN!

Creston

5. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 16:36 Mashiki Amiketo

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 15:55:

That's not the actual game name, right? Placeholder title? At least that was my impression.

This Kickstarter seems to be ballooning out of control, by the way. I just hope they don't forget the core focus of this, releasing a game in our lifetimes.
Yeah it's a place holder title. They've said that before, a few times actually. The title is TBA, as for the extra stuff? I'm not really worried.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 16:04 nin

I dunno guys, do we want to play a game called "Eternity" ? err, I mean "Project Eternity" ? I don't. What a cheesy title. I don't even feel like clicking the website link to see.

We're thrilled you won't be apart of it! Maybe when the character creator goal gets met, I'll name a character after you and set his intelligence to the lowest available. And then get him killed, over and over and over...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 15:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

That's not the actual game name, right? Placeholder title? At least that was my impression.

This Kickstarter seems to be ballooning out of control, by the way. I just hope they don't forget the core focus of this, releasing a game in our lifetimes.

2. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 14:54 deqer

1. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 14:23 Axis

Hype yes.

Regardless already my top CANT WAIT game, I have high hopes and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Yours truly,

Axis

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo