Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weatherman suggests this may be the last nice weekend of the year in these parts. I hope he's wrong, but I will try and appreciate how pleasant it is in case he's right.

Also, a forum user requests that other users here consider restricting their signatures to the actual signature, rather than also appending some form of signoff to the body of each post, as it promotes formatting problems in nested quotes. Seems like a worthwhile request, so I thought I'd pass that along for everyone's consideration.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pocket Creature PVP.
Stories: Bees in France produce blue and green honey; beekeepers blame M&Ms. Thanks Cutter.
Customer learns security company that claims to be nationwide only operates in 8 states.
Laser strikes against airplanes now an “epidemic,” says FBI. Being an asshole is contagious.
Science: Turd-eating worms clear air around Canadian toilets.
Media: Neglected Ducks Get Their First Swim.
NBA Worst Flops of All Time.
Egyptian parkour style - total fail. Thanks reddit.
Follow-up: Climate change disbelievers get most column space in U.S. and UK newspapers.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2012, 09:58 MajorD

Jeraxle wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 22:14:

At first I didn't see it this way but seeing a few of the more immature reactions to a very reasonable request for consideration makes me wonder if it is just rooted in attention seeking.

The immature response was due to the absurdity of this subject. If you want to know exactly how stupid and petty this whole thing is, realize this:

I'm in Afghanistan getting shot at daily. I defuse IEDs for a living. Pretty much everyone in this country, and a few others, wants me dead.

Now how important does signing forum posts seem?

~Jeraxle

I would say, or hope, that puts things into perspective.

A 'sincere' thank you for your service; be safe, and God Bless you Jeraxle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 23:56 Jivaro

Jeraxle wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 22:41:
Just started this rotation. So it'll be awhile. Besides, I didn't mention it for any attention, merely to draw attention to there are more important things in life than if someone signs their forum posts. =)

~Jeraxle

Be safe, thank you for your service, and hopefully a safe return.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 23:25 Mr. Tact

Jeraxle wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 22:41:
merely to draw attention to there are more important things in life than if someone signs their forum posts.
Yes, quite right. Everyone is free to do things which are silly/stupid without worry they will be stopped. Can we all agree the horse is dead?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 23:20 Dades

A polite request that has obviously been denied. People will continue to piss you off until Blue tells them to stop.

No one is pissing me off, it was a small annoyance and instead of being a dick about it I passed along a polite suggestion. How dare people be reasonable about small issues by talking about them.

No worries, I'm convinced me of how wrong I was, I will start signing my future posts too, everyone wins

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 22:41 Jeraxle

Just started this rotation. So it'll be awhile. Besides, I didn't mention it for any attention, merely to draw attention to there are more important things in life than if someone signs their forum posts. =)

~Jeraxle

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 22:33 Creston

I'm in Afghanistan getting shot at daily. I defuse IEDs for a living. Pretty much everyone in this country, and a few others, wants me dead.

~Jeraxle

Damn buddy, be safe out there...
Here's hoping you get to come home soon.

Creston

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 22:17 nin

Please be safe.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 22:14 Jeraxle

Who said feathers were ruffled? It was a polite request passed along through the proper channels. There is no real reasoning behind signing posts. The user name is displayed beside the posts already. Users have a full signature field to add personalization in addition to a user profile which other users can click on. It just makes the less forums less pleasant to read and interact with, adding a bunch of useless space to every thread just bloats them up and makes others have to snip the text out of replies. The ignore function is not a real solution as users still see them in replies from other users.

If the site had no signature functionality I would understand it but it is totally redundant and unnecessary.

A polite request that has obviously been denied. People will continue to piss you off until Blue tells them to stop.

At first I didn't see it this way but seeing a few of the more immature reactions to a very reasonable request for consideration makes me wonder if it is just rooted in attention seeking.

The immature response was due to the absurdity of this subject. If you want to know exactly how stupid and petty this whole thing is, realize this:

Now how important does signing forum posts seem?

~Jeraxle

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 16:39 sauron

MajorD wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 12:03:
I find it to be no BFD. But, what doesn't bother one person, may bother another; you just simply can't please everyone.

Love,
Major Dick

Yeah, I don't really even notice. I'd put in my own name and signature but it would take a while and I'm usually just too busy. Eh, maybe just this once...

His Majesty the Ultralord Sauron
The Lidless Eye
Prince of Evil and Scourge of All Life
Commander of the British Empire
Barad-Dur, Mordor

Kittens!

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 16:38 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:21:
Wow you really don't like when people sign their posts. "I try ignoring them but then other people quote them and don't bother to remove the repulsive offending line and I have to see it anyway!"

No, that isn't what was said and your take on it is completely incorrect. I was just preempting the obvious suggestion to add users who do this to my ignore list. There was nothing silly or wrong about my request, it was politely made and passed along by Blue. Just because it doesn't bother you personally doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people. Normally I can ignore things I don't agree with but in this case it makes no sense as it serves no purpose on the website, the functionality is already present. Maybe you are happy pruning posts for your replies and I don't mind it much either, I just don't care doing it when someone adds extra space and text to the bottom of every single post created for no reason.

It was a polite request for consideration, not a demand. If people want to ignore it then that's fine. Maybe I will see the light and start doing it too, we'll see.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 14:21 Sepharo

Dades wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 11:42:
The ignore function is not a real solution as users still see them in replies from other users.
Wow you really don't like when people sign their posts. "I try ignoring them but then other people quote them and don't bother to remove the repulsive offending line and I have to see it anyway!"

Extremely immature responses... You made a silly request (that I guess Blue considers worthwhile) and got silly responses, I don't know that they were extreme. Actually most of the responses have been "I don't see what the big deal is." I suggested (before knowing it was you who made the request) that this was done specifically to target Creston because over the years we've had trolls who make that one of their priorities.

Also I still haven't seen the "formatting problems" aspect explained. If you remove them simply because you don't like them, well then that's your personal preference, but leaving them there does not cause a formatting problem. When I quote people I manicure the text quite a bit... I'm not going to request that new rules be enshrined so that text will already be the way I personally want it when I hit the quote button.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 13:38 xXBatmanXx

Gotta love it when you install Skyrim and the high rez pack and "auto configure" and it responds with "your setting have been set to ULTRA HIGH".

i LOVE YOU NEW COMPUTER!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 12:16 Dades

Jivaro wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 11:55:
And Dades, I didn't mean anything by the feathers ruffled comment. I mean obviously it bothers you to some degree else why would you even mention it? At the same time, I am not saying there is something wrong with you or that you are some evil person because it does bother you.

No problem, didn't take it that way at all. It was a simple, polite request passed along through the owner of the site.
It is not directed against any individual person or meant to offend anyone. Some of the response have been extremely immature but c'est la vie.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 12:07 Verno

MajorD wrote:
I find it to be no BFD

Yeah, I don't see it as a "big deal" per se either. On the other hand I do spend a bit of time removing the fake sigs from posts that I quote and people seem to be getting a bit defensive over it.

I don't think it adds anything to the readability, if anything I get a bit puzzled when I'm dealing with those huge quote runs. There are already rules for what content sigs can contain and how it is displayed, putting it in the body of comment text seems a bit superfluous and an attempt to escape that. The absence of a rule against it seems a bit silly, there is no rule against me posting haiku in the bottom of every post but I don't do that either (yet!)

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 12:03 MajorD

I find it to be no BFD. But, what doesn't bother one person, may bother another; you just simply can't please everyone.

Love,
Major Dick

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 11:55 Jivaro

Everything needs a reason? It can't just be "because" or "I like it that way"..it has to have some sort of logical beginning and ending that only exists to accomplish a specific goal?

How Vulcan.

And Dades, I didn't mean anything by the feathers ruffled comment. I mean obviously it bothers you to some degree else why would you even mention it? At the same time, I am not saying there is something wrong with you or that you are some evil person because it does bother you.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2012, 12:05.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 11:42 Dades

What I really don't get is why people even care. I mean...this strikes me as kind of a silly thing to get your feathers ruffled about.

Who said feathers were ruffled? It was a polite request passed along through the proper channels. There is no real reasoning behind signing posts. The user name is displayed beside the posts already. Users have a full signature field to add personalization in addition to a user profile which other users can click on. It just makes the less forums less pleasant to read and interact with, adding a bunch of useless space to every thread just bloats them up and makes others have to snip the text out of replies. The ignore function is not a real solution as users still see them in replies from other users.

If the site had no signature functionality I would understand it but it is totally redundant and unnecessary.

Don't sign your name at the bottom of your post when your name is clearly stated fifty pixels to the side of the very same post. It's redundant and possibly a subconscious cry for attention. The formatting aspect is tertiary.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2012, 11:55.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 02:30 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 01:33:
What I really don't get is why people even care. I mean...this strikes me as kind of a silly thing to get your feathers ruffled about.

Some people on the internet seem to get annoyed over really, really weird things, and then try to put it off by saying other people are the ones with a problem. It's quite amusing to see, really.

Jeraxle wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 02:14:
Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012

LOL

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 02:25 nin

You guys are a hoot.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 02:14 Jeraxle

nuff said.

~Jeraxle

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo