Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weatherman suggests this may be the last nice weekend of the year in these parts. I hope he's wrong, but I will try and appreciate how pleasant it is in case he's right.

Also, a forum user requests that other users here consider restricting their signatures to the actual signature, rather than also appending some form of signoff to the body of each post, as it promotes formatting problems in nested quotes. Seems like a worthwhile request, so I thought I'd pass that along for everyone's consideration.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pocket Creature PVP.
Stories: Bees in France produce blue and green honey; beekeepers blame M&Ms. Thanks Cutter.
Customer learns security company that claims to be nationwide only operates in 8 states.
Laser strikes against airplanes now an “epidemic,” says FBI. Being an asshole is contagious.
Science: Turd-eating worms clear air around Canadian toilets.
Media: Neglected Ducks Get Their First Swim.
NBA Worst Flops of All Time.
Egyptian parkour style - total fail. Thanks reddit.
Follow-up: Climate change disbelievers get most column space in U.S. and UK newspapers.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 02:09 Shineyguy

Yakubs wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 23:19:
Don't sign your name at the bottom of your post when your name is clearly stated fifty pixels to the side of the very same post. It's redundant and possibly a subconscious cry for attention. The formatting aspect is tertiary.

I dunno man, I have a 24" monitor, so it's much more than just 50 pixels to the side of the post; considering you have 1,920 of them to play with. Not to mention the 1,200 you have to play with vertically.

-Shineyguy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 01:33 Jivaro

I am way too lazy to put a sig on each comment...but I would say that it sure does make it easier to see who said what when quoting multiple people within the same reply. (per below)

What I really don't get is why people even care. I mean...this strikes me as kind of a silly thing to get your feathers ruffled about.

What is next..color and font restrictions because some people find certain shades and types in poor taste?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2012, 00:49 xXBatmanXx

Got my rig all setup, all good to go.

Wow installing from a USB to a SSD is SUPER FAST!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 23:19 Yakubs

Don't sign your name at the bottom of your post when your name is clearly stated fifty pixels to the side of the very same post. It's redundant and possibly a subconscious cry for attention. The formatting aspect is tertiary.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 21:45 Mordecai Walfish

I don't see what the big f-ing deal is, guys.

-Mordecai Walfish

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 20:23 nin

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 19:44:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 19:40:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:43:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 17:22:
If you want me to stop, Blue, I'll stop. It's your forum, your rules.

I personally don't see what the big deal is, and it's kind of the thing I've done around here ever since I joined, but eh. Like I said, I'm not going to stop because trolls whine about it, though I considered stopping when Dades actually politely asked.

So, your call.

Creston ( )

So I quoted you, and don't see the problem....I dunno...just a dumb cop I guess...

xXBatmanXx

Maybe more nesting will reveal the problem!
...Nope.

-Sepharo

edit: Actually I'm finding it a little bit easier to identify the author of the nested quote. Perhaps it should be mandatory.
Agreed with edited comment, Mandatory indeed!

-netnerd85

I was a little skeptical, but you're both right. By including the name at both the top and the bottom, it does make it easier.

Man, did this backfire!

(-nin)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 20:15 Cutter

That honeybee story is sweet!

In 2011, a Boston court gave a 52-year old man three years in jail for shining a power laser at planes and helicopters in the area. Here's how our own Matt Lasar summed up the incident after reading the court docs

Good. What kind of fucking moron thinks it's good fun to blind people operating heavy machinery, particularly when they have other peoples lives in their hands.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 19:44 netnerd85

Sepharo wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 19:40:

I personally don't see what the big deal is, and it's kind of the thing I've done around here ever since I joined, but eh. Like I said, I'm not going to stop because trolls whine about it, though I considered stopping when Dades actually politely asked.

So, your call.

Creston ( )

So I quoted you, and don't see the problem....I dunno...just a dumb cop I guess...

xXBatmanXx

...Nope.

-Sepharo

edit: Actually I'm finding it a little bit easier to identify the author of the nested quote. Perhaps it should be mandatory.
Agreed with edited comment, Mandatory indeed!

-netnerd85

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 19:40 Sepharo

So, your call.

Creston ( )

xXBatmanXx

...Nope.

-Sepharo

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 19:14 Enahs

[This post intentionally left blank.]  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 18:43 xXBatmanXx

So, your call.

Creston ( )

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 17:22 Creston

So, your call.

Creston ( )

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 16:49 Mr. Tact

It's silly/stupid to sign an on-line post with the name that is automatically added to the post. It's silly/stupid for it to bother anyone that someone does it.

Personally, I don't do it, and it doesn't particularly bother me.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 16:34 nin

Sepharo wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 16:30:
What formatting issues?

And I can't help but think that whoever is requesting this is doing so only to get a dig on Creston, who's endured "Creston why do you always sign your posts?!" for nearly a decade.

I agree. If a person leaves a sig instead of a name, does that mean that people will read the sig every time? I just skip over them once I've read it once, just like I do when people sign their name. It's not a big deal.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 16:30 Sepharo

What formatting issues?

And I can't help but think that whoever is requesting this is doing so only to get a dig on Creston, who's endured "Creston why do you always sign your posts?!" for nearly a decade.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 15:16 Mr. Tact

mag wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:41:
I am confused as to why people need to sign at all. Your name's in the upper right of each post, guys!
This, since I first started using on-line forums on PLATO in 1979.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 14:41 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:30:
Also, a forum user requests that other users here consider restricting their signatures to the actual signature, rather than also appending some form of signoff to the body of each post, as it promotes formatting problems in nested quotes. Seems like a worthwhile request, so I thought I'd pass that along for everyone's consideration.

Yeah, I saw that the other day, but I don't understand it. Why does matter if the sig is above or below the line? I just leave it below so I don't have to type it every time, but I don't get what issues it would cause if people just type "=-Rigs-=" or "Creston" above the line out of habit?

I am confused as to why people need to sign at all. Your name's in the upper right of each post, guys!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2012, 14:30 jdreyer

Yeah, I saw that the other day, but I don't understand it. Why does matter if the sig is above or below the line? I just leave it below so I don't have to type it every time, but I don't get what issues it would cause if people just type "=-Rigs-=" or "Creston" above the line out of habit?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo