Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives

A post to the Darkfall Blog has word that Darkfall Online will be shut down upon the launch of Darkfall Unholy Wars, which was originally announced as an expansion for the MMORPG, but they now say is a separate game: "These are different games and the DFUW character system is incompatible with the old characters. These are two completely different worlds, there is a different skill acquisition system, different skills, different stats, all the way down to the story-line everything makes them incompatible." As for Darkfall Online players, they speak of commemorating characters of the old game in the new one, and make the following offer:

As far as Darkfall Online players needing to buy Darkfall Unholy Wars or not, we will keep our promise and give everyone who ever bought Darkfall Online the opportunity to get the new game just for the price of the subscription. Even though we had promised this before we decided to make a new game, itís the least we can do for our community.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 20:01 vermin

spindoctor wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 10:02:
I still remember the drama over the Eurogamer review of this game. The internet truly showed it's worst face in that episode.

hehe. I wonder if the guy who reviewed it still gets work as a game reviewer. absolutely hilarious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 14:49 Kitkoan

Gnolt wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 13:09:
D.K. I'm fairly sure the market these guys are going for is old school Ultima Online and EVE players. Anyone who played WOW as there first MMO would be completely culture shocked

What if my first MMO was a MUD on a BBS in '88?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 13:09 Gnolt

D.K. I'm fairly sure the market these guys are going for is old school Ultima Online and EVE players. Anyone who played WOW as there first MMO would be completely culture shocked  

7. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 10:02 spindoctor

I still remember the drama over the Eurogamer review of this game. The internet truly showed it's worst face in that episode.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 06:11 Doma

DF gets a lot of hate around the web. And frankly that is to be expected. Is certanly is not for everyone.

A hardcore full loot/open PVP sandbox is going to hurt some feelings to a crowd that have been brought up on WoW and other theme park MMOs.

And that is ok, we like different things.

For me, the first 6 months of Darkfall was the best online experience I have had in my 30 years of gaming. Proper sandbox politics, twitch aim controls and 1000 v 1000 epic battles on a single server.

Sadly, certain design elements made for a fading population after a while (massive grind), but imo DF 1 is still the best MMO. Or at least up there with Ultima Online and EvE.

That is why I am excited for the new game.
If it can recapture the fresh start feeling of DF1, but with improved design, it will be the best thing ever.

Just like with the first one, I will be there on day one.

5. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 02:01 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 00:44:
It's cool that even though they went the new game route, they'll still give everyone the new game for the price of a subscription.

If this had been EA, they would have said "Fuck you. Buy the new game."

Creston

Correction. If this had been EA they would have released the same exact game with some new outfits and the characters names changed for the same premium price as the previous years game.

I don't see this FIFA 13 incident getting old anytime soon. I find it too amusing to make fun of EA for it.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

4. No subject Oct 6, 2012, 00:52 D_K_night

sigh give it up Darkfall. All your customers are either playing Guild Wars 2 or MoP.  

3. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 6, 2012, 00:44 Creston

It's cool that even though they went the new game route, they'll still give everyone the new game for the price of a subscription.

If this had been EA, they would have said "Fuck you. Buy the new game."

Creston

2. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 5, 2012, 20:05 vermin

it is a replacement for darkfall after all, it would make no sense to run them side by side. apart from the sub you still own a copy of the currently running darkfall, if you ever bought it. doubt anyone is interested in playing the old version of the game over this new one.  

1. Re: Darkfall Online Closing When Unholy Wars Arrives Oct 5, 2012, 19:45 Cutter

Well I'm sure that both players left probably won't be too happy about that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo