Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview

An interview on Gamasutra talks with Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite of Loot Drop about their just-announced Kickstarter for an "old school RPG." They discuss their goal of melding traditional elements like character development and investment with modern elements like advanced graphics. There's also a discussion of how the pair will be developing two different parts of the same game world, which explains why one of the Kickstarter's stretch goals is two separate games. Here's a bit on that:

Brathwaite and Hall have conceived of the game as having two distinct worlds part of the same universe and the same timeline, where one of them is fundamentally Brathwaite's and the other's is Hall's, with a bridge connecting the two.

Hall's second world is viewed as something of a sequel if the game's stretch funding goals are met. But ultimately the pair will collaborate on all aspects of development, and in Hall, Brathwaite has the ideal complement to her RPG values.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 22:26 Cutter

Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 20:02:
Uhhh.. who exactly do you think I think I am, and who is this "we" that you speak of? Paranoid much?

Cool story, bro.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 5, 2012, 22:05 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 21:12:
I like the idea of the two worlds joined by that bridge world, and working for a company that creates those bridge worlds. Seems pretty interesting.

I'm VERY, VERY skeptical, however, that they're going to churn this out in 12 months...

Creston

Yeah I don't see the 12 month thing if there is going to be any length to it. As said they already have a dev team making other content. Wiz 8, excites me more then pretty much anything in the throwback dept. Pretty much at the top for me.

33. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 21:12 Creston

I like the idea of the two worlds joined by that bridge world, and working for a company that creates those bridge worlds. Seems pretty interesting.

I'm VERY, VERY skeptical, however, that they're going to churn this out in 12 months...

Creston

32. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 20:45 Bet

Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 20:26:
From the sounds of this article this is going to be two games in the same sense that Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen were two games.. It's basically two worlds within the same universe with the same engine and gameplay that can be connected with each other (World of Xeen).
Right. Not exactly sure why people are having a hard time understanding this, unless it's the animosity against Romero. The programmers, artists, and other engine-essential staff are going to be doing the prime components, with the creative teams doing the story/world development partly separate, partly in tandem.

Fucking wish the Fallout games would be developed like that. Imagine that, we could have a Fallout game every other year. Boston in 2014, England 2015... oh damn that would rule. Such lost potential...

31. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 20:26 Madguy

vermin wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 20:16:
very nice interview. backed this easily. would have backed anything with tom hall in it, but brenda as well. wizardy 8 is one of my all time favourites. hopefully they'll get to do the two full games thing, I mean even if the kickstarter doesn't go that far they could still get to do that if the first game is a success. would probably be a better idea too to have the full team working on one and then the other game, but maybe that's how they intend to make that work anyway.

From the sounds of this article this is going to be two games in the same sense that Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen were two games.. It's basically two worlds within the same universe with the same engine and gameplay that can be connected with each other (World of Xeen).

Though it's looking a little doubtful that they'll reach that level of funding, if the past few days are any indication. This Kickstarter could've been handled a lot better. But then again, they've got time to fix it up and make the whole proposal more attractive.

30. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 20:16 vermin

very nice interview. backed this easily. would have backed anything with tom hall in it, but brenda as well. wizardy 8 is one of my all time favourites. hopefully they'll get to do the two full games thing, I mean even if the kickstarter doesn't go that far they could still get to do that if the first game is a success. would probably be a better idea too to have the full team working on one and then the other game, but maybe that's how they intend to make that work anyway.  

29. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 20:02 Madguy

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 19:53:
Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 19:35:
Really? You couldn't be more wrong on this count. And their resumes bear that out. They fall entirely into the category of lucky, not good. Nothing exists in a vacuum, without Ford, Edison, etc. we still would have had the car, light bulb, etc. sooner or later. And those people certainly did not create gaming, much less video gaming. Then again you would have actually have to gone to arcades and played PnP RPGs to know that.

I don't think anyone's saying they "created gaming", and having been at the right place at the right time most certainly contributed to their success. Doesn't change the fact that they created some STELLAR work over the past couple of decades. Did you actually play Anachronox?

Yeah I did and it wasn't anything great. Stellar work over the last 2 decades? Well, I'm sure they're legends in their own minds no doubt - much like yourself. That doesn't, however, make it so. The reality is they're - and you, if you are who we think you are - are more of a running joke at this point. But hey, you just keep on drinking the koolaid and believing how awesome you all are.

Uhhh.. who exactly do you think I think I am, and who is this "we" that you speak of? Paranoid much?

28. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 19:53 Cutter

Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 19:35:
Really? You couldn't be more wrong on this count. And their resumes bear that out. They fall entirely into the category of lucky, not good. Nothing exists in a vacuum, without Ford, Edison, etc. we still would have had the car, light bulb, etc. sooner or later. And those people certainly did not create gaming, much less video gaming. Then again you would have actually have to gone to arcades and played PnP RPGs to know that.

I don't think anyone's saying they "created gaming", and having been at the right place at the right time most certainly contributed to their success. Doesn't change the fact that they created some STELLAR work over the past couple of decades. Did you actually play Anachronox?
Yeah I did and it wasn't anything great. Stellar work over the last 2 decades? Well, I'm sure they're legends in their own minds no doubt - much like yourself. That doesn't, however, make it so. The reality is they're - and you, if you are who we think you are - are more of a running joke at this point. But hey, you just keep on drinking the koolaid and believing how awesome you all are.

27. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 19:35 Madguy

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 16:52:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 16:17:
There is a lot of shameless and unabashed rudeness in this thread towards these people who are an integral part of gaming history and whose accomplishments are, like it or not, a large part of why this site exists and why YOU are a gamer.

Show some deserved respect or I'll 'make you my b*tch'.

26. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 18:52 Devinoch

There's just not enough on display for me to feel comfortable backing it, and I back a lot of things. I need more than a handful of posts saying "old school!" and "hardcore!" to convince me a game's a good idea. Want to make something awesome? Show me more of your proof-of-concept. Don't just say "We did awesome things once; we can do it again!"  

25. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 18:52 dj LiTh

Just the fact that they have their people raging in full force on this thread makes me sincerely believe that this is a full blown scam that will never see the light of day.  

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 5, 2012, 18:46 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 10:08:
Such a bad idea. Why don't they just prove they can actually get one good game out first? I'll be really surprised if they actually make their funding. Sure doesn't look like anyone around here is in. I know i'm not.

Funny. This is the first one I'm thinking of donating. Wiz 8 is how I like my RPG's and Anachronox had a lot going for it. The thing is they haven't even started, it's going to be a long while before we see them.

As for trust and delivering, I question every last one of them. Even games with publishers never see the light of day enough. This one no better or worse. However I do agree, this needed more production polish and focus on exactly what they are doing and some early examples.

23. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 16:52 Cutter

Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 16:17:
There is a lot of shameless and unabashed rudeness in this thread towards these people who are an integral part of gaming history and whose accomplishments are, like it or not, a large part of why this site exists and why YOU are a gamer.

22. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 16:38 noman

Tom Hall was deeply involved with Wolf 3D and DOOM, and created Anachronox. That's enough for me. I added my pledge. However this may be my first Kickstarter pledged project that won't reach the target. They needed a much better defined first pitch to have a wider participation.

Good luck, Brenda and Tom.

By the way, some of the comments here remind me of Cleve Blakemore. I recall how harsh he was on the folks at Sir-Tech (creators of Wizardry). He probably must have had some comments about Brenda as well. I don't remember it too well as it's close to ten years now, from the time when comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg and strategic were getting several hundred postings a day.

By the way, when would Cleve be starting a Kickstarter project for Grimoire? The pitch video could be more fun than the game.

21. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 16:17 Optional Nickname!

20. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 15:36 dj LiTh

This being so close to the Obsidian Kickstarter success. Almost the same stretch goals, then slapping in another game into the stretch goals....ya not buying what they're shoveling.

Maybe when there's an actual release.

19. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 14:55 sauron

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 13:29:
Errr, Anachronox? Wizardry 8? Those are two of the finest RPGs ever made in my book.

Ya, both of those were pretty good.

Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 12:26:
If you've been gaming for that long, then you're probably too old to be making posts like this.

What was that about being too old for gaming? I'll be a gamer to the grave, baby.

Kittens!

18. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 14:07 Jivaro

Madguy wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 13:54:
Jivaro wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 13:13:
edit: Madguy, do you mind me asking what you do or who you work for? Not trying to mess with you..serious question. None of my business either, but I am curious. Your post history seems to indicate to me that you work in the industry in some manner. I could be wrong of course, but it comes across that way.

Used to work in games as a tester and then producer, but as of a few years ago I'm basically done with that industry (and frankly happier for it). Now I just lurk around sites like Blues and post about once every six months

I hear that a lot..lol. Seems like everyone I have ever met that used to work in the gaming industry always mentions how much happier they are to be out of it.

17. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 13:54 Madguy

Jivaro wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 13:13:
edit: Madguy, do you mind me asking what you do or who you work for? Not trying to mess with you..serious question. None of my business either, but I am curious. Your post history seems to indicate to me that you work in the industry in some manner. I could be wrong of course, but it comes across that way.

Used to work in games as a tester and then producer, but as of a few years ago I'm basically done with that industry (and frankly happier for it). Now I just lurk around sites like Blues and post about once every six months

16. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 13:29 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 10:08:
Such a bad idea. Why don't they just prove they can actually get one good game out first? I'll be really surprised if they actually make their funding. Sure doesn't look like anyone around here is in. I know i'm not.

Errr, Anachronox? Wizardry 8? Those are two of the finest RPGs ever made in my book.

I'm not funding them because, like idiots, they decide to ask for funding in a month when the following titles come out:

- Dishonored
- XCom remake
- Lego Lord of the Rings
- AC 3
- Farcry 3

The last two would actually come out right after their funding month is up, but my budget counts all these as generally being in the same month. In addition, they come out right after Obsidian did their kickstarter.

I would actually gladly support them, but I am simply out of gaming money until Christmas. Had they done this in February, they'd happily get my 50 bucks. I'd pay 100 bucks for the proper sequel and finish to Anachronox.

Creston

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo