Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview

An interview on Gamasutra talks with Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite of Loot Drop about their just-announced Kickstarter for an "old school RPG." They discuss their goal of melding traditional elements like character development and investment with modern elements like advanced graphics. There's also a discussion of how the pair will be developing two different parts of the same game world, which explains why one of the Kickstarter's stretch goals is two separate games. Here's a bit on that:

Brathwaite and Hall have conceived of the game as having two distinct worlds part of the same universe and the same timeline, where one of them is fundamentally Brathwaite's and the other's is Hall's, with a bridge connecting the two.

Hall's second world is viewed as something of a sequel if the game's stretch funding goals are met. But ultimately the pair will collaborate on all aspects of development, and in Hall, Brathwaite has the ideal complement to her RPG values.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 13:16 nin

First post, eh? So are you Tom or Brenda?

Or John...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 13:13 Jivaro

Zanderat1 wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 12:11:
First post, eh? So are you Tom or Brenda? And yeah I've seen your resumes and they're nothing to brag about. And odds are I've been gaming longer than you've been alive. You wouldn't know a real RPG if you got smacked in the face with a D20. And that's precisely why I nor anyone else with any actual gaming history and experience will be contributing your garbage.

You don't get out much, do you? Such nerd rage! LOL!

You are the one post wonder that came in and started with the attacks right off the bat. Nice non-answer btw.

In any event, I too think it is a bad idea to go for 2 games. Maybe they surprise me and get their funding and make a great game. I think that would be awesome. I would be one of the first to go buy it should it receive critical praise. Asking folks to get excited about splitting the game into two games when we haven't even seen one good one yet is questionable at the very least.

edit: Madguy, do you mind me asking what you do or who you work for? Not trying to mess with you..serious question. None of my business either, but I am curious. Your post history seems to indicate to me that you work in the industry in some manner. I could be wrong of course, but it comes across that way.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 13:29.

13. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 13:05 aesir05

A studio that hasn't had a PC game in decades if I read wrong
Seems like it'll come out same time as the phantom console(i think that was the name)

12. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 12:26 Madguy

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 11:27:
Zanderat1 wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 10:36:
"just prove they can actually get one good game out first"

WTF? Have you actually checked these guys resumes (Brenda and Tom)? I guess your idea of a good RPG is DAO2? Or Skyrim?

Rolleyes

First post, eh? So are you Tom or Brenda? And yeah I've seen your resumes and they're nothing to brag about. And odds are I've been gaming longer than you've been alive. You wouldn't know a real RPG if you got smacked in the face with a D20. And that's precisely why I nor anyone else with any actual gaming history and experience will be contributing your garbage.

If you've been gaming for that long, then you're probably too old to be making posts like this.

11. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 12:11 Zanderat1

You don't get out much, do you? Such nerd rage! LOL!

10. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 11:53 saluk

I'd be all in for Anachronox 2.  

9. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 11:27 Cutter

WTF? Have you actually checked these guys resumes (Brenda and Tom)? I guess your idea of a good RPG is DAO2? Or Skyrim?

Rolleyes

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 11:17 Smellfinger

This broad would be making another low budget Playboy game if she wasn't banging Romero.  

7. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 11:09 Beamer

deqer wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 11:01:
And why isn't John anywhere to be seen in this.

Because he's not involved.
And because he'd certainly hinder fundraising.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 11:01 deqer

They are probably like:
<Manager> "wth? only 10% funded? why?!"
<Guy 1> "maybe the presentation is confusing, about the two games part."
<Manager> "ok, let's do an interview!"

lulz

Anyways,
Both these people look hurtin'
Their office looks hurtin'
Their video looks hurtin'
And why isn't John anywhere to be seen in this.

5. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 10:55 Zanderat1

Sure. But, I do think resumes count. Brenda was the lead on Wizardry 8 (not DW Bradley). And if she needs to go this route to make a game she wants to without publisher interference (if they can even get one), then I am in.  

4. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 10:49 SpectralMeat

Rolleyes

Resumees doesn't matter much these days. As time and time again very talented game developers who were making really awesome games back in the day, release less then stellar games these days. I am sure you can think of a few examples without thinking too hard.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 10:36 Zanderat1

Rolleyes

2. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 10:28 Darks

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 10:08:
Such a bad idea. Why don't they just prove they can actually get one good game out first? I'll be really surprised if they actually make their funding. Sure doesn't look like anyone around here is in. I know i'm not.

LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth, I think their stretch goals are really stretching it by trying to get two game out when they donít even have money for one. Stupid!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

1. Re: Loot Drop Kickstarter Interview Oct 5, 2012, 10:08 Cutter

Such a bad idea. Why don't they just prove they can actually get one good game out first? I'll be really surprised if they actually make their funding. Sure doesn't look like anyone around here is in. I know i'm not.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo