Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 18:02 Prez

I wasn't aware there was a FIFA 12 for the Wii. I understand that sometimes they skip years on some platforms.

When you consider that any yearly sports release is going to have at best a 6 to 8 month development cycle, buying each new release is already a dubious prospect . How much does one expect they can really change from year to year? There are occasional engine updates to enhance the eye candy, but not every year. The most you could reasonably expect is a roster updates, some mechanics tweaks, a new feature to add a bullet point on the box, and maybe some new animations.

Why any sports fan would pay 50 or 60 bucks a year for what is essentially a minor expansion for the previous year's game is beyond me, but millions do, year in year out. Why wouldn't EA continue the practice?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 17:36 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 14:51:
Panickd wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 14:49:
Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 13:48:
Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 12:37:
I absolutely loathe EA, so I am by no means defending them, but I would really view this as unethical only if there was a FIFA 12 on Wii and it was the same.

That's what happened, right?

It would be ok if it was released as a $20 roster update and not sold as a full game. For $50 it's questionable. For $50 and no notice on the box that it's just new rosters (and shoes) it's unbelievable.

Lets get real here: This is what EA does to all it's sports games late in a console's life. Sure they may mildly tweak a few features and change out the intro screens and annoying music to hide that fact, but essentially you're paying for last years game with an updated roster. The only thing they've done here is dropped the facade. None of the real changes are going to happen until the next gen releases because most of the development teams and money has already moved there.

Disagree - the usually at least add some new mechanics of some form. Or so I've been told, I haven't purchased an EA Sports game since NHL 2002.
I'd place this solely on them not valuing the Wii at all. I think this has nearly happened with them in the past.

edit - I stand corrected, NHL98 was the last EA Sports game I purchased. NHL 2002 came free in a box of Cheerios (no lie.) And the console interface made me go back and play NHL95.

That's early on. When consoles are new the EA sports franchises typically get a graphical overhaul so that it "looks like a TV broadcast!" In the years following they change up the game mechanics and add in things like different training modes to teach you those new mechanics as well as the regular roster updates. But the year before the next gen console ships most of the dev team is working on next years version for the new console so what happens to the last "current gen" version is usually a quick nip and tuck to the features and mechanics, a new guy on the cover and some updated intro videos and music (along with the expected roster updates). It's last years game with some lipstick and a new g-string.

The shame is that EA doesn't do their sports games for PC anymore because when those were done right, they were usually done by a different dev team than the console versions and the PC version almost always played better and offered new gameplay features year on year. But I guess that's what happens when you have a "console" that never reaches it's end-of-life.

14. Re: GameMaker exec: Oct 5, 2012, 17:19 PHJF

FIFA actually *did* get pretty fundamental changes to things like AI, ball control, and tackling. It's why FIFA is currently destroying Pro Evo.

It's a lot harder for EA to pull their usual shit with a game like FIFA that has massive international popularity.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. GameMaker exec: "Consoles have become a barrier to creativity". Oct 5, 2012, 15:55 jdreyer

So, stop developing for consoles. The PC will never be a "barrier to creativity"  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 14:51 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 09:46:
FIFA Fake-Out: EA Sells Last Year's Soccer Game as New.

Yeah that was linked on Slashdot last week. I know the whole joke with sports games just being roster updates but they normally do actually change some nominal stuff at the minimum. What's depressing is how shameless they were with that new Wii version, it's basically saying we know our customers are stupid and will eat it up.

People actually bother to defend EA around here which is hilarious as these are the kinds of underhanded things they are infamous with the fans for.

I haven't played sports games for more than a decade, and this is def one of the reasons.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 14:51 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 14:49:
I absolutely loathe EA, so I am by no means defending them, but I would really view this as unethical only if there was a FIFA 12 on Wii and it was the same.

It would be ok if it was released as a $20 roster update and not sold as a full game. For $50 it's questionable. For $50 and no notice on the box that it's just new rosters (and shoes) it's unbelievable.

Lets get real here: This is what EA does to all it's sports games late in a console's life. Sure they may mildly tweak a few features and change out the intro screens and annoying music to hide that fact, but essentially you're paying for last years game with an updated roster. The only thing they've done here is dropped the facade. None of the real changes are going to happen until the next gen releases because most of the development teams and money has already moved there.

Disagree - the usually at least add some new mechanics of some form. Or so I've been told, I haven't purchased an EA Sports game since NHL 2002.
I'd place this solely on them not valuing the Wii at all. I think this has nearly happened with them in the past.

edit - I stand corrected, NHL98 was the last EA Sports game I purchased. NHL 2002 came free in a box of Cheerios (no lie.) And the console interface made me go back and play NHL95.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 14:58.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 14:49 Panickd

I'm not saying it's "right", just that these are the facts.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 13:48 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 13:34 Creston

Err, isn't that what they're saying? FIFA13 on the Wii is exactly the same as FIFA12 on the Wii.

In a comment emailed to Wired, an Electronic Arts spokesperson mostly dodged the question, saying that FIFA 13 has “the same great gameplay” and that EA “felt it was important to continue to offer fans the opportunity to play an authentic football experience on Wii.”

The spokesperson did confirm that there are no new modes or features in FIFA 13 for Wii. The game does, however, feature the new licensed soundtrack that is also found in all other releases of FIFA 13.

They're not even trying to hide it. It's simply the same game with updated rosters.

Creston

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 12:37 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 11:35:
It's EA being EA, and since when has calling them out ever stopped them, or even slowed them down? EAs entire business model is based on doing shit like this.

Yeah, it's just frustrating they keep getting away with shit like this.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 11:35 PHJF

It's basically preying on uninformed consumers whose kids "like soccer" or something, it might be par for the course in the market but it's still bullshit that deserves to be called out IMHO.

It's EA being EA, and since when has calling them out ever stopped them, or even slowed them down? EAs entire business model is based on doing shit like this.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 11:22 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 10:31:
Or they are saying who the fuck would buy this game for this piece of shit console anyways? The Dudebros, the entire consumer base for EA Sports, play 99% on a 360 and 1% on a PS3. Then again at least half of the Wii catalog is games that make me say to myself, "wow, I can't believe they did a Wii port of this. I bet it fucking blows.".

I believe it actually sells respectably, certainly well enough for them to release it for the platform. It's not like it's a charity or something. It's basically preying on uninformed consumers whose kids "like soccer" or something, it might be par for the course in the market but it's still bullshit that deserves to be called out IMHO.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 11:06 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 09:46:

Yeah that was linked on Slashdot last week. I know the whole joke with sports games just being roster updates but they normally do actually change some nominal stuff at the minimum. What's depressing is how shameless they were with that new Wii version, it's basically saying we know our customers are stupid and will eat it up.

People actually bother to defend EA around here which is hilarious as these are the kinds of underhanded things they are infamous with the fans for.

To be fair it's the Wii version they're talking about. And really the whole "EA Sports games are just a yearly roster update" is quite honestly a line of bullshit. Both Madden and NHL have seen major improvements this gen, NHL especially.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 10:31 PHJF

Or they are saying who the fuck would buy this game for this piece of shit console anyways? The Dudebros, the entire consumer base for EA Sports, play 99% on a 360 and 1% on a PS3. Then again at least half of the Wii catalog is games that make me say to myself, "wow, I can't believe they did a Wii port of this. I bet it fucking blows.".  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 5, 2012, 09:46 Verno

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo