Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 7, 2012, 12:16 HorrorScope

"Within 8 years many expect all mainstream computing to move to smartphones, or whatever other ultra portable form factor computing device we're carrying around at that point."

There are a lot of Office doc/spreads/pp's out there and to think they are going to have to use a phone in the office to do them, reeks of severely going backwards!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2012, 20:57 NegaDeath

No apologies are needed when it comes to GFWL, it's a piece of utter shit. I have 5 games that use it and I've had to browse forums for GFWL "fixes" every time.  

5. Re: That problem is not Microsoft's fault. Oct 5, 2012, 20:29 eRe4s3r

As I said, I am guessing it is because I have to run it via Capsule (GMG's Download Manager) and there is some encryption on the exe that messes things up.

Heh, My phrasing was lazy, I actually mean restarting the services (after installing the GFWL updates that came out when Arkham released) was the first thing I tried, running it both manually and automatically made no difference. But running the app thingy for some absurd reason fixes these issue. And yeah, at first it actually RAN without ever connecting to the GFWL service. That means I could start it as if it was cracked, and I never noticed that (how would I, I didn't know how the real GFWL deal in the game looked until they pushed an update out).

I guess you are right, I should probably be blaming GMG / Capsule for this issue. Maybe their install script messed up the GFWL installation.

4. Re: That problem is not Microsoft's fault. Oct 5, 2012, 20:23 hb3d

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 18:20:
broke my savegames unless I crack it and run it without GFWL)
That sounds like your problem because GFWL cracks (xlive.dll) don't use the same saved game files as the real GFWL because GFWL saves are encrypted which the cracks cannot read or write. GFWL cracks usually don't use the same location for save files either.

Starting the services was the first thing I tried.
If it was set to automatic as you said, you would not have had to start it since it would have already been running.

In any case, it's an issue I should not be having with GFWL.
It's an issue you shouldn't be having with the game.

MS is to blame, because MS made it.
That's like saying that Microsoft is to blame for every bad device driver because it wrote the Windows Driver Development Kit. The GFWL SDK is just a tool. Like any other API it can be implemented in applications poorly by the developers of those applications and that sounds like the case with Arkham Asylum.

I think I will install Arkham Asylum to see if I have any issues with it.

3. Re: That problem is not Microsoft's fault. Oct 5, 2012, 18:20 eRe4s3r

I have it set to automated, and always had.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
Set to AUTOMATED and RUNNING

That is the first thing I tried. It does not work for Arkham Asylum -> Game start, Game crash right after splash-screen. Obviously most up-to-date GFWL. Starting the marketplace app (which does nothing aside from being running, the service already runs) makes Arkham Asylum work (but not actually find my savegames because way back it ran without crashing, no idea why, and let me play for 30+ hours before it updated and broke my savegames unless I crack it and run it without GFWL)...

Starting the services was the first thing I tried. How you think I found out it works with marketplace running? I started Arkham for test with the service to manual and it failed to start (the service, and the game), so i figured an app that starts this service properly likely will make it work (And marketplace app works perfectly) but only when marketplace app actually runs does arkham log me in GFWL.

So yeah, incompetence for the lulz. It may be something odd the GMG version of Arkham does though.. who knows. In any case, it's an issue I should not be having with GFWL . Who really is to blame.. I don't give a damn MS is to blame, because MS made it.

2. That problem is not Microsoft's fault. Oct 5, 2012, 16:26 hb3d

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 14:48:
I don't think there ever was a GFWL game I did NOT have an issue of some kind with. Heck, even today when I try to start the uncracked Arkham Asylum the game CRASHES flat out, unless... get this, I manually start the actual GFW Marketplace application in windows, and LEAVE IT OPEN.
That is due to poor programming on the part of the game's developers and the fact that you are not running the "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" service which is installed as part of Games for Windows Live (GFWL) if you don't already have it, is set to run automatically, and is required to be running to use GFWL. It would be like bitching that Steam doesn't work because you disabled the Steam service. If Rocksteady had programmed the game properly as other GFWL games are (Tron Evolution and Bulletstorm for example), the game would still launch without the service running, but would prompt you that GFWL was needed to save your settings and progress. The reason why the game launches with the Marketplace app running is because it will start the Live Sign-in service if it is set to "manual." The game could do this too if it were properly programmed.

By the way I don't support Microsoft's region migration restrictions as described in the article, but bashing GFWL for game developers' and your own incompetence is stupid.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 16:40.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2012, 14:48 eRe4s3r

Good to know that I use exactly 0 Microsoft services, only GFWL but If you'd ask me what games are registered to that I'd draw blank.. probably GTA IV (which I now play with xliveless ,p) and Arkham Asylum (Which I played with crack, because for some absurd reason when the game released, it saved my saves offline, so when I logged in my saves were gone. Only way to get them now is to force GFWL in offline mode, at which point I might as well remove it entirely.

Wow.. Thinking back, I don't think there ever was a GFWL game I did NOT have an issue of some kind with. Heck, even today when I try to start the uncracked Arkham Asylum the game CRASHES flat out, unless... get this, I manually start the actual GFW Marketplace application in windows, and LEAVE IT OPEN.

Or I crack it.

Not owning anything from MS is the only way to go through life. Sadly, my conviction stops at "Windows" because I have Windows 7 ultimate... and I love it.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo