Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo

The Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Website announces that a playable demo is now available for Bohemia Interactive's just-released action/strategy remake. Here's word on its two demo-exclusive assaults on the islands of Thermopylae and Granite: "Narrated by one of the developers, the demo kicks off with an action-packed sequence in which players control one of the amphibious Walruses. Once they complete their first objective, the demo fast forwards to another island. Here, the gameplay opens up and players will be able to switch between driving Walruses, flying Mantas and ordering units via the tactical map. Overall it takes about 45 minutes to complete." The demo is available for download from this page and it is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 16:40 WaltC

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 03:29:
I was a huge fan of the original on Amiga. I bought into the beta of this one because I really wanted to support it. Might be the last Bohemia Interactive game I buy. Who the FUCK do they have developing their games these days? Fucking piece of shit. Shit controls, shit gameplay, shit AI, shit everything. Fucking idiots..... Just idiots....

If you hadn't mentioned the Amiga version, I would have...;) Fond memories of the game--so so cool to get camera views from planes, the carrier, ground units, etc. I don't recall much more about it than that, really, except that it was fun and kind of unique. It's too bad this game doesn't measure up--ah, back in those days you had to low-level program to make anything happen--these days everything is so high-level it often seems like there's a mile between code command and the hardware...! Think they can patch it up by Christmas?

Edit: Tried to run it five times after install in Win7x64--installed in admin mode, btw. Tried to run in both normal and admin mode, in both Win7 & WinXP SP3 mode--locks up every time before opening the main campaign--have to alt-ctrl-dlt to get out of it as I can't even alt-TAB to get out of it when it locks. Tried changing the "W" in the key bindings twice, to the up-arrow key--locked up both times at that point. Yea, if the demo is this bad I shudder to think what the game must be like. How could they put something like this out for distribution? It's a real shame.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 18:16.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 12:08 eRe4s3r

Oh they were aware, 50% of the beta 2 and beta 3 feedback was about broken unit AI  

12. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 09:13 Slashman

The weird thing is that its not a very difficult concept for a game. It's not like they were attempting something that's never been done before.

Why is it so hard to make workable pathfinding? Further...how could they not be aware that it was so horrible and release the game like that in the first place?

11. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 03:29 Ludomancer

I was a huge fan of the original on Amiga. I bought into the beta of this one because I really wanted to support it. Might be the last Bohemia Interactive game I buy. Who the FUCK do they have developing their games these days? Fucking piece of shit. Shit controls, shit gameplay, shit AI, shit everything. Fucking idiots..... Just idiots....  

10. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 02:44 eRe4s3r

ahaha Well played.  

9. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 02:38 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 21:17:
This would be the 1 game where coop would be kinda needed indeed. But since the enemy AI is as braindead as your own units, that would be like putting lemmings into a lion cage. ;p

Since lemmings only suicide on cliffs, they would just jump out since they fit through lion cage bars.

So what exactly were you trying to say?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

8. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 01:39 Creston

PHJF wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 22:35:
Hey this reminds me of Hostile Waters.

Hostile Waters was a reimaging of the original Carrier Command game. It's also quite a bit better than this remake, unfortunately...

My buddy bought it (he was even more of a Carrier Command fan back in the day) and while the game is pretty and functional, the TERRIBLE AI pathfinding just ruins everything. You basically can't do any kind of strategy whatsoever, because your retarded AI companions will stand there for eternity trying to figure out how to get past a fucking TREE that's in their way.

He also says the FPS parts are really boring and just totally kill the pace of the game.

Bohemia Interactive always seems to release these terribly broken games. Sadly.

Creston

7. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 01:32 Keith

Sadly, the demo was buggy as hell for me. Locked up right from the get go when trying to reconfigure the default key bindings (and some of them seem really, really retarded in the first place). Then locked up with an "unhandled exception" when I tried to launch the campaign (the only option available in the demo). I haven't seen an unhandled exception since Win98, so it took me back to the day. Not what I want in a new game, however...

I still want this to not suck, so I will follow it for a while. Pick it up on Steam when it has been patched a few times and goes on sale for under $20. I think the price will be the easy part, judging from the reviews and user feedback I've seen on the boards.

6. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 23:58 Prez

Kudos to BI for the demo - it's all too rare that we get one nowadays - but I think they would be better served fixing some of the major issues with the game that most reviews seem to agree on, specifically the pathfinding and cumbersome interface.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 23:54 El Pit

I give a damn about multiplayer. This would be very interesting if it wasn't so terribly broken. Pathfinding and a lot of other AI problems make this game terribly frustrating.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 22:35 PHJF

Hey this reminds me of Hostile Waters.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 21:38 Talisorn

Multiplayer would be good, but I'm still REALLY enjoying this game. My only real criticism is the AI for ground units. Otherwise, its a lot of fun.  

2. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 21:17 eRe4s3r

This would be the 1 game where coop would be kinda needed indeed. But since the enemy AI is as braindead as your own units, that would be like putting lemmings into a lion cage. ;p  

1. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 4, 2012, 20:58 HoSpanky

I watched the trailer for this game and thought "OH MY GOD this is gonna be a blast to play with my buddies!".

Oh, it's single-player only? I'm sorry, but since the story can't possibly be tied to a single character's every move, the lack of multiplayer loses my sale. This game SCREAMS for campaign co-op.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo