Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire

The Bethesda Blog reveals that the console exclusivity for Hearthfire is over, and this DLC for The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim is now available through Steam for the Windows edition of the RPG sequel. Here's word:

In case you missed it, with Heathfire you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 6, 2012, 14:00 Kastagir

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 10:10:
Why would you need to adopt kids if you have a spouse in the game?

I was wondering the same thing. Who needs to adopt kids when you can "make" them? Or maybe all Dragonborn are infertile?

I'm glad to see this smaller DLC because it means the contractual exclusivity to the XBox is over and future DLC can be released for PC and consoles simultaneously. That is, if Bethesda can figure out how to make their games work on PCs. Their recent efforts don't leave me feeling overly optimistic on that front.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 6, 2012, 10:10 ^Drag0n^

Why would you need to adopt kids if you have a spouse in the game?  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 6, 2012, 03:03 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 01:08:
Jivaro wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 21:48:
I actually didn't do the companions stuff until my second time through the game. I found it more interesting then I expected. I don't really like the werewolf mechanic though. I find it kind of awkward and not really useful or fun.

There's one thing the werewolf is really, REALLY good for: Murdering people in cities without getting massive bounties on your ass. It makes the Assassin's Guild missions a lot easier if you can just go werewolf and murder people in broad daylight, then run away. Nobody knows it was you.

Creston

I never even thought to do that...Have to give that a go if I roll a new character for a Dawnguard playthrough.

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 6, 2012, 01:08 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 21:48:
I actually didn't do the companions stuff until my second time through the game. I found it more interesting then I expected. I don't really like the werewolf mechanic though. I find it kind of awkward and not really useful or fun.

There's one thing the werewolf is really, REALLY good for: Murdering people in cities without getting massive bounties on your ass. It makes the Assassin's Guild missions a lot easier if you can just go werewolf and murder people in broad daylight, then run away. Nobody knows it was you.

Creston

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 6, 2012, 00:22 MisterBenn

I thought the Thieves Guild started well, the organised crime part: openly shaking down and intimidating the shopkeepers was fun! It then got generic quickly after that.  

Playing: Path of Exile.

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 21:48 Jivaro

I liked the Thieves Guild Quest but I would agree with Creston, it wasn't the most original thing ever. I felt the same as Creston about the Mage Guild quest as well...good idea, but it felt like it was cut short. The Brotherhood quests were my favorite part, which I kind of expected because I really liked them in Oblivion. If that part had sucked I would have been pretty disappointed.

I just bought Dawnguard this week, and thanks to my backlog I probably won't get to it anytime soon. I expect however that I will like killing vampires more then being one. Once again I don't really like the game mechanics involved in being a vampire. It is really awkward. If the Dawnguard story surprises me and gets me interested enough maybe I will give it a go.

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 11:10 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 08:59:
I think my problem with Skyrim is the weak writing and quest design. There are a few standouts but overall most of the quests feel so generic that the Radiant generator probably could whipped them up. I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the Guild quests, the Thieves Guild was the only real standout. It's certainly a huge game and there is a lot to explore but often times the gameplay systems and quests feel rudimentary.

So for me the big hope was that the DLC would be where we get some more interesting quest content or expansion of combat systems but so far that's been really lackluster. It's not that Skyrim is a bad game or anything but with some better writing and combat design it could really be something special.

I thought the Thieves Guild quest line was actually pretty boring. "Oh noes, a traitorz in teh guild!" Compared to the quest line in Oblivion, where you go into all these really awesome areas to steal really awesome artifacts (not so much in actuality, but based on their lore) and eventually track down the mysterious Grey Fox. Oblivion was much more awesome. The padded out "Go to <town A> and steal <Random Item F>" and having to do that five times in each stinking town (with the random mission generator not giving a shit that you'd already done that town 5 times) really bugged me.

I thought the story in the Mage Guild quest line reasonably interesting, it just didn't last anywhere near long enough. "Oh, hi there new person! Join us!" -- 6 missions later -- "ALL HAIL THE ARCHMAGE!" Compared to, again, Oblivion, it was pretty weak though.

I did like the Assassin's Guild quest better than the one in Oblivion. Killing the Emperor is a far more interesting task than "Find a traitor in the guild!" (I'm starting to sense a pattern here...)

And the companions were okay, I just never really felt like the werewolves were under that much of a threat from anyone.

Creston

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 10:38 PHJF

I think my problem with Skyrim is the weak writing and quest design. There are a few standouts but overall most of the quests feel so generic that the Radiant generator probably could whipped them up. I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the Guild quests, the Thieves Guild was the only real standout. It's certainly a huge game and there is a lot to explore but often times the gameplay systems and quests feel rudimentary.

None of this mattered to me, all they had to do right was the dungeons, and they came out perfect. I cleared dozens and dozens of them and with the exception of a few samey draugr locales they were all great. As far as I'm concerned they can do away entirely with all the RPG trappings (which they've never been good at anyways) and just release a dungeon crawler/loot fest (though maybe that's all the recent Borderlands talking).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 09:34 InBlack

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 08:59:
MisterBenn wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 00:44:
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Bethesda have been quite smart in their approach to Skyrim. You get a game out of the box that keeps console and PC players alike happy. Some of the DLC is a bit of a cash in but it is optional as it should be and seems still viable to those with no access to mods. PC users get mods to make the game as beautiful, challenging and replayable as they like. Shareholders benefit from the after sales DLC revenue, and apart from the DLC so far being unremarkable, noone really gets offended.

I think it's to Bethesda's credit that they've been savvy enough to balance the interests of all groups very fairly, offering PC and console gamers alike lots of what they are used to to be happy, while spinning a decent profit without resorting to some of the nastier business tactics that do the rounds these days.

So for me the big hope was that the DLC would be where we get some more interesting quest content or expansion of combat systems but so far that's been really lackluster. It's not that Skyrim is a bad game or anything but with some better writing and combat design it could really be something special.

I actually thought the writing was much better than in Oblivion and even Fallout. It was the little things, and the smaller side quests that really stood out. But yes some of the more main line quests were rather bland. After Oblivion, and then FO3 I really had very low expectations for Skyrim but it more than delivered for me. Maybe my low expectations had something to do with it...

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 08:59 Verno

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 00:44:
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Bethesda have been quite smart in their approach to Skyrim. You get a game out of the box that keeps console and PC players alike happy. Some of the DLC is a bit of a cash in but it is optional as it should be and seems still viable to those with no access to mods. PC users get mods to make the game as beautiful, challenging and replayable as they like. Shareholders benefit from the after sales DLC revenue, and apart from the DLC so far being unremarkable, noone really gets offended.

I think it's to Bethesda's credit that they've been savvy enough to balance the interests of all groups very fairly, offering PC and console gamers alike lots of what they are used to to be happy, while spinning a decent profit without resorting to some of the nastier business tactics that do the rounds these days.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 03:31 InBlack

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 20:52:
Housearmor!

Bravo!

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 01:40 Creston

Housearmor!

You, sir, win one Internets.

Creston

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 01:35 WyldKat

I very much agree with you MisterBenn.

Skyrim, and the two titles before it, benefited heavily from having mod tools accessible at, or soon after, release. I also think Bethesda learned from the horse armor debacle, though I DO think that Dawnguard is a bit much for what you get. Of course it will be on sale at Christmas so that's not a big deal.

I hope more games embrace mod support as it clearly boosts sales, the whole Day Z/ARMA 2 sales boost is another good example.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 00:44 MisterBenn

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 22:32 Ratty

I know what you mean. Dawnguard was worth the price but just barely. Passing on this one too.  

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:53 PropheT

Housearmor!

lol!

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:43 Dades

The game has been great but the DLC has been cash in city. Dawnguard was overpriced and underwhelming, this DLC is just cashing in on the most popular user mod. Let's see some real quests and content.  

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:30 MisterBenn

Yeah, I'm still loving Skyrim very much but the DLC so far has left me cold. As soon as they release something substantial, a decent new landmass or something with new game mechanics that are useful across the whole game, they will get more of my money incredibly quickly.  

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:15 WyldKat

Skyrim: The Sims... and I want it!

$5 is MUCH more reasonable than $20 for DLC too.

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 20:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Housearmor!  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo