Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare

A new Twitter account from Daniel Erickson announces his departure from BioWare Austin, where he was Creative Director and lead designer on Star Wars: The Old Republic, the MMORPG that has not proven to be the force in the marketplace that some expected. The reasons for this are not revealed, but along the way he comments on the current focus of commercial game development: "When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race." Thanks MCV.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 11:49 Dades

I will run it up the ladder then I guess. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 11:19 Creston

Dades wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 07:19:
Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 01:44:
Mostly I do it because it annoys certain individuals, which gives me no small measure of enjoyment.

Will you respect that it annoys some of us who are not certain individuals and please stop? I don't want to have to put legit posters on ignore but I consistently run into 3 or 4 who keep doing this and having to clean up the replies and quotes gets really tiresome.

I'm sorry it annoys you, but I'm not gonna stop doing it, no. Me saying that I do it because it annoys people was actually a joke. I just do it because it's habit, and because I've always done it, and it's kinda my... signature, I guess.

If Blue told me to stop, sure, but otherwise, eh. Either snip a quote, or just leave it in like everyone else does. Or put me on ignore. I ain't gonna lose sleep over it.

Creston

46. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 11:17 Creston

Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 02:30:
I think it is because Blue pays Creston by the letter. Signing every post just gives him that much more chedda'! CHA-CHING!

If he did that, I can't imagine how much skrilla nin's been pulling in.

Creston

45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 07:19 Dades

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 01:44:
Mostly I do it because it annoys certain individuals, which gives me no small measure of enjoyment.

Will you respect that it annoys some of us who are not certain individuals and please stop? I don't want to have to put legit posters on ignore but I consistently run into 3 or 4 who keep doing this and having to clean up the replies and quotes gets really tiresome.

44. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 02:30 Prez

I think it is because Blue pays Creston by the letter. Signing every post just gives him that much more chedda'! CHA-CHING!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 01:44 Creston

Dades wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 22:00:
I haven't been around as long as others so I have to ask, why do people sign their posts? There is a proper signature function built into the website and the name is prominently displayed in yellow beside every post in addition to having a picture avatar to work with. All it seems to do is clutter up replies and quotes while wasting space. I run into this annoyance all the time when trying to reply to people who do it, they should have their display name changed to ascii symbols or blanked out

Added smiley so this seems less confrontational

Actually, I just do it because this is the way I did it before most forums had signatures, and I'm just used to doing it. (Lemme tell ye young whippersnappers, that in our olden days WE SIGNED OUR POSTS! THROUGH THE SNOW WITHOUT A PEN! AND WE LIKED IT!)

I think Blues is really the only site I even still do it anymore, to be honest. Just kind of a habit.

Creston

42. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 5, 2012, 00:41 Agent.X7

Morga wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 18:58:
Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:36:
To the lifeboats everyone! Women and Children first!
Creston

Hell no, that's sexist. We don't live in the middle ages anymore. Should be Parents and children first. Then everyone for themselves.

TOR is a huge failure, that lacks innovation, and uses the outdated hero engine.

It's sad that Bioware butchered this MMO and the Star Wars franchise.

To be fair, Lucas beat them to butchering the Star Wars franchise.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

41. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 22:25 Pyloff

Don't start with me right now. I already crafted a partial list of my RPG's.  

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 22:24 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 21:33:
Pyloff wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 18:14:
Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:07:
I know, but come on... DA:O was fucking AMAZING. I mean, that's likely in my top 5 RPGs of all time
Creston

I can not wrap my head around this statement. I realize it is an opinion but still. I had to comment Disappointed

Well wrap your head around this: I agree with him.

I do as well.

39. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 4, 2012, 22:21 HorrorScope

This Erickson guy has to have mega experience now. They say what you get from failure is experience, no?  

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 22:00 Dades

I haven't been around as long as others so I have to ask, why do people sign their posts? There is a proper signature function built into the website and the name is prominently displayed in yellow beside every post in addition to having a picture avatar to work with. All it seems to do is clutter up replies and quotes while wasting space. I run into this annoyance all the time when trying to reply to people who do it, they should have their display name changed to ascii symbols or blanked out

Added smiley so this seems less confrontational

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 22:07.

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 21:33 Prez

Pyloff wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 18:14:
I know, but come on... DA:O was fucking AMAZING. I mean, that's likely in my top 5 RPGs of all time
Creston

I can not wrap my head around this statement. I realize it is an opinion but still. I had to comment Disappointed

Well wrap your head around this: I agree with him.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 20:23 Trevellian

Slashman wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:37:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:45:
Bioware is really nothing more than a logo for EA to slap on game boxes at this point. We all knew this is how it would end, when Bioware sold out to them.

Yep...I think some people are still in denial. I was hoping they'd go back to being the old Bioware again...but they pretty much cannot do that at this point.

Sure they can, it's called leave and start a new company from scratch. Is it tough? Sure. But then you at least get to do what you want.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 19:00 Cutter

"When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race."

Yeah, it's the industry's fault, that's the ticket.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 18:58 Morga

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:36:
To the lifeboats everyone! Women and Children first!
Creston

Hell no, that's sexist. We don't live in the middle ages anymore. Should be Parents and children first. Then everyone for themselves.

TOR is a huge failure, that lacks innovation, and uses the outdated hero engine.

It's sad that Bioware butchered this MMO and the Star Wars franchise.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 18:46 Creston

Prez wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 17:57:
I get hell whenever I say this, but it does my heart good to see this game and this studio implode spectacularly. No, I don't revel in seeing people's livelihoods destroyed or gamers watching games they like wither and die, but given the disastrous choices Bioware made in signing with EA in the first place and then switching to a "monetary gains above all" modus operandi, their continued failure serves to make gaming better as a whole in my view. The same exact thing can be said about Blizzard. The bottom line is that even once-great studios deserve to die once serving their own monetary interests is elevated in importance above serving their customer base as best as they can.

Yep, 'tis true. It's just sad that it happens to a once really really great studio like Bioware.

EA keeps on murdering.

Creston

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 18:14 Pyloff

Creston

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 18:02 SimplyMonk

WyldKat wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 16:53:
There are still bugs with GW2 and the "personal story" wasn't presented as well as SWTOR, but it's SO fun to just PLAY, SWTOR was only enjoyable to WATCH.

1000 times this.

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 17:57 Prez

I get hell whenever I say this, but it does my heart good to see this game and this studio implode spectacularly. No, I don't revel in seeing people's livelihoods destroyed or gamers watching games they like wither and die, but given the disastrous choices Bioware made in signing with EA in the first place and then switching to a "monetary gains above all" modus operandi, their continued failure serves to make gaming better as a whole in my view. The same exact thing can be said about Blizzard. The bottom line is that even once-great studios deserve to die once serving their own monetary interests is elevated in importance above serving their customer base as best as they can.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 17:01 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 16:09:
Slashman wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:37:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:45:
Bioware is really nothing more than a logo for EA to slap on game boxes at this point. We all knew this is how it would end, when Bioware sold out to them.

Yep...I think some people are still in denial.

I think the only two people who were still in that particular denial actually quit their jobs with EA last week, so I doubt anyone still believes different anymore.

Creston

Pretty much, though I doubt the doctors really care at this point, they got their dumptrucks full of money, and the executive producers they have in place like Casey Hudson and Mike Laidlaw seem to fully embrace the EA way of doing things already if you're looking at how the ending of ME3 was handled, or how all of the development for DA2 was handled.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo