Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again

GamesIndustry International has further details on sales of the Mists of Pandaria expansion for World of Warcraft, Blizzard's MMORPG. They say the add-on has now sold over 2.7 million units, and the game's subscriber count currently tops the 10 million mark over the summer.

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 6, 2012, 00:29 MattyC

NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 15:07:
Luke wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 07:52:
wow has been cooked down to a four button console game , 10 mil they say ..sure and if they told ya the earth was flat you would belive them also Book

I need about 25 hotkeys for my character's abilities.

I don't know about 25 (they seriously did things I do not like to Warriors), but yeah. Saying they 'cooked down' WoW to 4 abilities is just trolling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 15:07 NKD

Luke wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 07:52:
wow has been cooked down to a four button console game , 10 mil they say ..sure and if they told ya the earth was flat you would belive them also Book

I need about 25 hotkeys for my character's abilities.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

72. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 11:23 Creston

Wetworks wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 01:20:
Wow is one of the few games where you need a spreadsheet to chart out your character's progression.

That sounds so fucking AWESOME!!!!

Oh wait...

/Goes back to just having fun in GW2 and not really giving a shit about doing 0.001% DPS more.

(Btw, you might want to remember that GW2 is all of a month old, and WoW has been around for like 487 years.)

Creston

71. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 08:59 sauron

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 08:02:
If by skill, you mean twitchfest gameplay not unlike console button mashers like Mortal Kombat, well, you can have it. Been there, done that.

If you're playing it that way, you're doing it wrong. It plays like a cross between MMO and FPS. As such, it requires a mix of the skill sets used for both genres.

Kittens!

70. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 08:37 Verno

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 08:02:
If by skill, you mean twitchfest gameplay not unlike console button mashers like Mortal Kombat, well, you can have it. Been there, done that.

Twitch gameplay requires a healthy mixture of dexterity, skill, intellect and strategy. It's not really fair to compare the sales figures of a game that has been out for almost a decade to one that has been out for 2 months. WoW has the advantage of time and long built branding, the literal poop in a box joke and all that. Even considering its time handicap, Guild Wars 2 sold what, 2.8m copies in the first few weeks? I'd say that's pretty successful and unlike say TOR or WoW, its business model doesn't require all of those people to stay subscribed.

Personally I find they are games for very different kinds of players, sure there is some overlap but Guild Wars 2 largely shoots for a player who wants a variety of activities whereas WoW is a more traditional theme park experience MMO.

spreadsheet stuff

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone actually defend the spreadsheet stuff, I consider it efficiency play masquerading in the form of difficulty. If nothing else I think Guild Wars 2 proved you can have punishing gameplay without a dense mathematical requirement.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 08:48.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

69. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 08:02 Jonjonz

68. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 07:59 Jonjonz

Meanwhile that Asian Grindfest formerly known as Guildwars, barely managed to sell a fraction of the total WOW subscribers.

So much for heavy front end PR baloney attempts to paint another Asian grind fest as something else.

All hail King WOW!

67. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 07:52 Luke

66. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 07:23 Dades

Wow is a far more complex game than GW2, especially where PVE is concerned. I mean GW2 doesn't even have mods or damage meters. Without statistical data after an encounter how can you tweak your build in a meaningful manner?

Maybe after the fact WOW is a more complex experience to analyze but Guild Wars 2 is more difficult and requires just as much, if not arguably more skill to play in the moment.

65. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 02:37 Muscular Beaver

Dades wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 21:25:
- The skill tree argument is ridiculous. GW2 does not have a deep skill tree or skill system at all. I agree that they oversimplified WoW's, but with a larger number of abilities I'd say WoW is still more complicated than GW2. I don't personally think I've seen a more restrictive and dumbed down action bar than GW2's, for that matter.

Guild Wars 2 has the trait system which is meant to be paired with the skill system, they are not weighed separately. Much like abilities you gain from leveling in WOW and the talent tree go hand in hand.

I don't think its the perfect MMORPG but it does tweak and evolve some important things for a genre that is really stuck in a rut. I'd like to see WOW follow suit instead of continually playing itself down. WOW innovated quite a bit in its time but that has really died down over the past three years.

Wow is a far more complex game than GW2, especially where PVE is concerned. I mean GW2 doesn't even have mods or damage meters. Without statistical data after an encounter how can you tweak your build in a meaningful manner?

With GW2 you have a small selection of skills and some traits to define your character. With Wow you have a very large selection of skills, glyphs, socketed items with gems, enchantments, and professions to tweak your build. Not to mention gear is extremely important where as in GW2 gear is meaningless at lv 80. The type of gear you have can be enough to dictate what spec and play style you will have in Wow. After all that you have to factor in self buffs and raid buffs, Wow is one of the few games where you need a spreadsheet to chart out your character's progression.

Too bad most people dont even care about that. Not to mention GW2 is only a few days old. WoW a few days, weeks, months after release didnt have anything like that either.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

64. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 01:20 Wetworks

Dades wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 21:25:
- The skill tree argument is ridiculous. GW2 does not have a deep skill tree or skill system at all. I agree that they oversimplified WoW's, but with a larger number of abilities I'd say WoW is still more complicated than GW2. I don't personally think I've seen a more restrictive and dumbed down action bar than GW2's, for that matter.

Guild Wars 2 has the trait system which is meant to be paired with the skill system, they are not weighed separately. Much like abilities you gain from leveling in WOW and the talent tree go hand in hand.

I don't think its the perfect MMORPG but it does tweak and evolve some important things for a genre that is really stuck in a rut. I'd like to see WOW follow suit instead of continually playing itself down. WOW innovated quite a bit in its time but that has really died down over the past three years.

With GW2 you have a small selection of skills and some traits to define your character. With Wow you have a very large selection of skills, glyphs, socketed items with gems, enchantments, and professions to tweak your build. Not to mention gear is extremely important where as in GW2 gear is meaningless at lv 80. The type of gear you have can be enough to dictate what spec and play style you will have in Wow. After all that you have to factor in self buffs and raid buffs, Wow is one of the few games where you need a spreadsheet to chart out your character's progression.

63. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 00:18 lvitriol

I signed up for annual pass just to get in the beta but I didn't play any WoW for some months then i tried MoP, 86 now, feels really stale after Swtor and gw2.

First couple ptr (zul aman@70 etc)was so fun but i only played MoP beta for 5 minutes.

more sp.

62. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 22:43 NKD

Cutter wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 20:45:
NKD wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 19:46:
Cutter wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 18:51:
I don't believe this many people play this game, if they ever did.

Hey Alex Jones, how you doin bud?

Who the fuck is Alex Jones? And why is it so hard to believe that a corporation would lie about its sales? I know a lot of people that used to play WoW. I currently don't know anyone who does and they haven't for a long while now. And I certainly would not put it above Actiblizz to lie about this sort of thing.

Alex Jones is some conspiracy nutbag. Blizzard is rolling in cash, so unless they are flat out risking serious SEC bullshit, they gotta be getting the money somewhere, and it isn't going to have that kind of money with a small player base. Plus consider that they include Asia's numbers, which don't have the same monetization scheme. Years back somneone said Asia was 60% of their player base but only 6% of their revenue because the Chinese company that runs it takes all the cash.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

61. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 22:34 Mr. Tact

It might be reasonable to question why that many played, but I really don't have much doubt about it. The reported revenues in their SEC filings certainly would seem to support it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

60. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 21:25 Dades

59. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 20:45 Cutter

NKD wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 19:46:

Who the fuck is Alex Jones? And why is it so hard to believe that a corporation would lie about its sales? I know a lot of people that used to play WoW. I currently don't know anyone who does and they haven't for a long while now. And I certainly would not put it above Actiblizz to lie about this sort of thing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

58. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 20:35 PropheT

WyldKat wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 17:04:
As is...

-Being forced to stand in place while casting/attacking
-Being unable to dodge enemy attacks
-Combat based on item level, not player skill
-Same old tier based dungeon/PVP gear grind
-No large-scale PVP warfare with castles, keeps to conquer with siege engines
-Kill/Quest stealing
-Simplified and downright restricting "noob friendly" skill tree
-Only a few classes can rez, don't expect them to in the open world because everyone is focused on their wall of text quest log
-Outdated graphics vs top quality modern graphics
-Forced to pay a subscription fee
-Forced to have "item level x" or tank/healer to go do dungeons
And really there's so, so much more.

"Have fun," to the people that want to continue to play this stuff, but I've had my fill a long time ago in Wrath when the story started in WC3 was wrapped up.

- Standing in place while attacking is nice for clickers. I don't personally prefer it, but it's not always a plus.

- Dodging in GW2 sucks to me, and the content that requires it with death as an immediate alternative sucks even more. Dodge or die fight? Watch swaths of people keel over dead, and then more killed as they try to revive them. No thanks.

- Tier based gear gives you something to work for. I hate it in PvP, though, so I definitely prefer GW2 there.

- Wintergrasp had large scale castle battles with siege engines. I doubt anyone plays it anymore and I have no idea if anything replaced since I haven't played WoW really since shortly after Cataclysm went up.

- Kill stealing is fine since the content is different. I like everyone being able to help anyone a lot in GW2, but there's no interaction and no reason for people to talk to work together as a result.

- Any class that can heal can rez. As far as people doing it, well...people suck in online gaming.

- Graphics are nice in GW2 but I think you'd be surprised by WoW's if you played it again. It sure as hell doesn't look like an old game when you fire it up.

- Subscription fee is fine. I don't have to put down real money to buy bank slots, bag slots, character slots, keys, costume gear, or anything else. I guess you can farm if you're max level and have nothing else to do, but... also, content updates aren't insignificant and the customer service is miles better.

That said, I wouldn't even play GW2 if there was a fee, so it does get credit for that.

- You're still forced to adhere to certain criteria to do dungeons. Since you can barely even PUG dungeons in GW2 I don't see how this makes much difference anyway.

I like both games, but... they aren't directly comparable for most of those points.

57. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 19:49 Muscular Beaver

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 19:06:
Oh and I dont agree with your graphics point. It does look better, but its nowhere near "top quality modern graphics". Look close, most of the environment is low poly too. Actually not much more polies than WoW. The chars and NPCs look nice, since they have a much higher poly count, but look at the buildings, trees, rocks, even the vegetation textures, etc. And that also explains why its running pretty good on my 4 year old mid range graphics card.

And that explains why you think it doesn't look as good as it does.

I have it running at maximum details. Polys are polys. Not to mention that screenshots of it look exactly the same as on my computer. But please, show me what I do wrong.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

56. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 19:46 NKD

55. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 4, 2012, 19:07 HorrorScope

I sort of have that feeling to. But it's probably just me.

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo