Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again

GamesIndustry International has further details on sales of the Mists of Pandaria expansion for World of Warcraft, Blizzard's MMORPG. They say the add-on has now sold over 2.7 million units, and the game's subscriber count currently tops the 10 million mark over the summer.

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

34. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 15:01 Rhett

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:48:
If people are still having fun with it, then good for them.

Personally I raided for 3 years, and led a raiding guild for 1.5 of those years. I've had enough of MMOs, no matter what they are. For me I'm glad to be out of the scene. Too much time and effort, for very little real world payoff.

Yeah... it was definitely fun while it lasted. Plus, the $15/mo was a tad cheaper than buying a new game every month or so. Met a lot of fun, interesting, and creepy-as-fuck people... but it was overall a memorable gaming time.

This new expansion sounds just as bad as the last one, though...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 14:49 Mr. Tact

It would be interesting to see the effect on the economy if WoW introduced non-tagged individual resource nodes..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 14:48 Beelzebud

If people are still having fun with it, then good for them.

Personally I raided for 3 years, and led a raiding guild for 1.5 of those years. I've had enough of MMOs, no matter what they are. For me I'm glad to be out of the scene. Too much time and effort, for very little real world payoff.

31. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 14:17 BobBob

Breaking News! Obese children are eating more candy.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

30. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 14:11 Alamar

TheEmissary wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:02:
The question is what will be the drop off be like after two months when the people that only came back to see the expansion. You saw spikes like these around all of the other expansions.

I do agree that GW2 is probably one of the strongest competitors to WOW at the moment. After seeing an MMO implement like one of the previous posters said, the tag-less mobs is hard not to want that in other games. The dynamic events that cycle through basic PVE quests to outdoor world boss is a fun change in that game.

There are few things that World of Warcraft seems to do a bit better such as tying the lore together a bit better. It is probably possible for the games to coexist.

I'm also curious about the two month drop off, but for GW2... Seems every second day, I see a new thread of many posts of people (finally) realizing it's the same ol...

As for Mists... The initial sales are not all that different than previous expansion, and also surpasses one (that is conveniently left out of the bashing report nin linked).

In either case, numbers, and personal opinions matter not... A ton, as in, millions, of people, are thoroughly enjoying both (and even Rift/SWTOR) games ; )

-Alamar

29. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 14:10 TheEmissary

briktal wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:41:
The two biggest things I wish they'd take from GW2 is getting rid of mob tagging and instanced nodes. I really hope they make that change for Titan. I also enjoyed using Dodge in GW2, which you can kind of use on the Monk character.

WoW has the mob tagging tech, but currently it is only used for quest "boss" mobs (to prevent large crowds of people waiting for the same NPC to respawn so they can kill it). I think you'd need something like GW2s downleveling system for that to really work though, otherwise high level players could either grief lower level characters by denying them mob XP or too easily power level characters (depending on how XP worked). Though, they do pretty much have the tech to do some sort of downleveling. I have no idea if they could currently do instanced nodes. However, those two are things you really have to integrate into the game design, so you don't flood the market with ore/herbs or don't put any high level quests in an otherwise low level zone.

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:34:
Kythlyn wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:12:
The biggest problem with Panda is Guild Wars 2. Going back to a quest log from dynamic questing is jarring.

Yup, could not get back into the WoW combat. I tried. I really want to see the content. I just can't. I do like Pet battles though. Probably because I had over 100 before this expansion, and now they actually do something.

I think I interrupt and avoid attacks more in WoW than I did in GW2, though my GW2 character was a warrior with Healing Signet,

The tag-less mobs in GW2 gives anyone that contributes to the kill loot and XP. The tag-less resource nodes are huge improvement also as every who can see the node can mine/harvest/pick it. You really don't see the same types of griefing you would in other MMOs. No fighting over mobs and so on. This is definitely one thing that Blizzard needs to learn for World of Warcraft.

I don't think it would ruin the economy of the game at all. In GW2 you still have a chance for rare items on the resource nodes. The common resources just won't be worth that much but the rare ones will be. The real money might be on the professions themselves instead of the common materials.

28. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:57 LgFriess

I doubt it's really a disappointment. They know WoWs time is passing and Titan is waiting.

Although if ActiBlizz is now nothing but a bunch of non-gaming, bean counting suits, they may be disappointed in the sales numbers... ugh, I guess you're right after all Fion.

27. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:41 briktal

The two biggest things I wish they'd take from GW2 is getting rid of mob tagging and instanced nodes. I really hope they make that change for Titan. I also enjoyed using Dodge in GW2, which you can kind of use on the Monk character.

WoW has the mob tagging tech, but currently it is only used for quest "boss" mobs (to prevent large crowds of people waiting for the same NPC to respawn so they can kill it). I think you'd need something like GW2s downleveling system for that to really work though, otherwise high level players could either grief lower level characters by denying them mob XP or too easily power level characters (depending on how XP worked). Though, they do pretty much have the tech to do some sort of downleveling. I have no idea if they could currently do instanced nodes. However, those two are things you really have to integrate into the game design, so you don't flood the market with ore/herbs or don't put any high level quests in an otherwise low level zone.

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:34:
The biggest problem with Panda is Guild Wars 2. Going back to a quest log from dynamic questing is jarring.

Yup, could not get back into the WoW combat. I tried. I really want to see the content. I just can't. I do like Pet battles though. Probably because I had over 100 before this expansion, and now they actually do something.

I think I interrupt and avoid attacks more in WoW than I did in GW2, though my GW2 character was a warrior with Healing Signet,

26. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:27 Fion

The article notes;

for reference, Blizzard’s Wrath of the Lich King add-on sold 2.8 million and Cataclysm sold 3.3 million in a similar period of time.

This isn't true. LK sold 2.8 million in 24 hours, Cata sold 3.3 million is 24 hours. So you can pretty up the numbers all you like, this still is a disappointment in the boardroom.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 13:34.

25. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:17 Verno

deqer wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:14:
Yes, because putting players into a sandbox and having them spend the time to figure it out on their own like it's a real job or something is SO FUN... ...

There's a difference between players driving an experience and asking the player to do everything. Nothing wrong with gameplay systems that require more complexity than clicking on a yellow exclamation point. Not everyone wants their entertainment distilled into a mindless and linear package, sometimes using your brain outside of work is even fun *gasp*.

Normal people do not spend their life inside a video game, inside their moms place.

Obviously. Normal people never touch computers, those are for nerds and whatnot. Normal people just have sex and drink alcohol 24/7. Bucktooth

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

24. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:15 Frijoles

Smellfinger wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:08:
Why have do we need quests at all? Why bother crafting a massive world if you force players to follow the same path from beginning to end?

Tried that before WoW. DAoC had no quests. AC had no quests. Dunno about EQ (I played AC). Grinding bunnies until you level up to foxes until you level up to zombies SUCKED. Quests were new in WoW when it came out. Other games had them, but not nearly as many and not with the sole purpose of leveling up. Go back to grinding mobs? No thanks.

So without the grind, what? Skyrim has you doing quests, so Skyrim is a bad example in your opinion. What other game would you model your MMO after? Dark Souls? I'm pretty sure I was grinding a shit ton of mobs in that game. What if we just replace all quests in your MMO with "Kill X mobs" quests and just not give you a quest log. That'd be the same, wouldn't it?

23. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 13:14 deqer

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:10:
Why have do we need quests at all? Why bother crafting a massive world if you force players to follow the same path from beginning to end? Non-linear exploration and freedom of choice used to be what differentiated MMORPGs like UO and EverQuest from single player games.

Because probably 90% of current-day MMO players need to have their hand held to entertain themselves. You can't just give them a sandbox and tell them to have fun, they'd stand in the starting zone going "WAAAAH WHAT DO I DO?!" while breathing through their mouths.

Creston
Yes, because putting players into a sandbox and having them spend the time to figure it out on their own like it's a real job or something is SO FUN... ...

Would be fine if the world wasn't scaled so big that it's like a job for you to play the video game.

Normal people do not spend their life inside a video game, inside their moms place.

22. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:50 raVen

I don't think blizzard / activision has released digital sales numbers. Like Valve it's hard to gauge unless the developers come out and spell out how many were sold digitally.
2.7M retail + anything digital is pretty good, most everyone I play with bought it digitally too.

(that's only 20-30 people, but you see my point yes?)

21. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:34 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:18 TheEmissary

Why have do we need quests at all? Why bother crafting a massive world if you force players to follow the same path from beginning to end? Non-linear exploration and freedom of choice used to be what differentiated MMORPGs like UO and EverQuest from single player games. It's pretty sad when a single player RPG like Dark Souls offers a more non-linear and dynamic experience than WoW, Guild Wars 2 or any modern MMO.

I would love to have true persistence in a MMO game. It isn't going to happen anytime soon because of the fact all 10 million people have to be a hero and the theme park model.

You know when I first heard about World of Warcraft around 2001'ish I thought It was going to be 3rd person equivalent of the RTS. Of course that was proven to be false and bit naive at the time. Needless to say I hoping for something where you would wage massive battles for territory and create or destory towns. It kind of saddens me a bit at the lost potential.

19. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:15 Optional nickname

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:41:
It'll be interesting to see how fast the subscriber rates falls again once those 2.7 million people have played through all the content.

Creston

Won't be long, as Blizzard already has lined up every single expansion in accordance to "Insert Chinese Calendar Year animal" ready to keep the money train rolling. Mists of Rat, Mists of Dragon, Mists of Tiger, etc etc etc.

this 10 million is just a drop in the bucket, the real number exceeds 200 million if you factor in the Asian populace playing this game. Even newborn chinese are playing WOW today.

18. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:15 Verno

Why have do we need quests at all? Why bother crafting a massive world if you force players to follow the same path from beginning to end? Non-linear exploration and freedom of choice used to be what differentiated MMORPGs like UO and EverQuest from single player games. It's pretty sad when a single player RPG like Dark Souls offers a more non-linear and dynamic experience than WoW, Guild Wars 2 or any modern MMO.

This is what I loved about UO, the players crafted the experience. Unfortunately in an effort to appeal to the masses, everything is dumbed down for those without any imagination. Business concerns long ago superceded artistic goals.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

17. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:10 Creston

Why have do we need quests at all? Why bother crafting a massive world if you force players to follow the same path from beginning to end? Non-linear exploration and freedom of choice used to be what differentiated MMORPGs like UO and EverQuest from single player games.

Because probably 90% of current-day MMO players need to have their hand held to entertain themselves. You can't just give them a sandbox and tell them to have fun, they'd stand in the starting zone going "WAAAAH WHAT DO I DO?!" while breathing through their mouths.

Creston

16. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:08 Smellfinger

15. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 12:02 TheEmissary

The question is what will be the drop off be like after two months when the people that only came back to see the expansion. You saw spikes like these around all of the other expansions.

I do agree that GW2 is probably one of the strongest competitors to WOW at the moment. After seeing an MMO implement like one of the previous posters said, the tag-less mobs is hard not to want that in other games. The dynamic events that cycle through basic PVE quests to outdoor world boss is a fun change in that game.

There are few things that World of Warcraft seems to do a bit better such as tying the lore together a bit better. It is probably possible for the games to coexist.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 12:09.

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo