Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer

The launch trailer for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, subtitled "Our Last Hope," offers a look at gameplay to celebrate next week's release of Firaxis' continuation of the X-COM series of sci-fi strategy/action games. They say: "Take command of XCOM headquarters, recruit and train your soldiers, and research alien technology to advance the capabilities of your squad. The battle against the enemy will be tough, and success will depend on your ability to keep your recruits alive and evolve them from rookies to more skilled and powerful soldiers. You are our last hope to save humanity from the global alien invasion. Good luck, Commander."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 15:13 Slashman

Anxiously awaiting this as well. The crazy thing is that I'm enjoying the hell out of TL2 and now I have Civ5 which is proving to be very addictive.

So the question remains: Will I even be ready to play XCom when it launches in a week? And if so...where will I find time to eat and sleep?

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 17:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 15:03 Rhett

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:43:
Whiskers wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:18:
They said something in an interview somewhere that there are a decent amount of maps and that in one playthrough, which usually last 30 missions or so, that you would not see the same map twice and that each map has random starting points so it'll be a little different as you move through a game. I think all the starting positions for everything are random every time.

My memory could be off but I believe they have somewhere around 90 maps. I'm not all that worried about seeing the same one twice.

I have not looked this forward to a game since maybe Dragon Age:Origins. Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday.

80+ maps, different layouts for each map. Different alien spawns. Different starting spawn for you. Different alien patrols/reactions/squads. Probably more to it, but that's what I remember about it.

Looking forward to the game. A lot.

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:54 Beelzebud

Also: I really hope there are missions that take place on farms with cornfields, like the original. Haven't seen anything that looked like a farm setting.  

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:53 Beelzebud

Really looking forward to this, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I also pre-ordered. Then I managed to trade off my extra copy of Civ 5 for Natural Selection II pre-order, so this will be a great gaming month.  

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:43 RollinThundr

Whiskers wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:18:
They said something in an interview somewhere that there are a decent amount of maps and that in one playthrough, which usually last 30 missions or so, that you would not see the same map twice and that each map has random starting points so it'll be a little different as you move through a game. I think all the starting positions for everything are random every time.

My memory could be off but I believe they have somewhere around 90 maps. I'm not all that worried about seeing the same one twice.

I have not looked this forward to a game since maybe Dragon Age:Origins. Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday.

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:25 Deathhead

Yup the start points for the aliens will differ, as well as which aliens will appear on which missions. I'm not to upset at the limited number of maps, some of those procedural levels in the first X-COM were terrible  

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:18 Whiskers

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 14:08 LgFriess

My only concern after playing the demo is if the game will have that open, sandbox like feel the first one had. For example, I hope it's not 12-20 linear missions (pre made maps, repeated alien locations, one best way to conquer the map, etc) you have to complete to "beat" the game.

As long as it's got that open feel, I can't wait! If it's not sandbox'ish... I'll still play it, but I'll pick it up on sale down the road somewhere.

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 13:07 peteham

Riker wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:57:
It's been torture waiting for this.
Hell, it still is! One more week. Graaargh..

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 12:57 Riker

It's been torture waiting for this.  

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 12:55 Dev

avianflu wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:50:
I want this game but the trailer above did nothing for me. The gameplay videos are awesome however.

If you are on the fence, or thought there was too much handholding in the demo, check some of the gameplay videos. There's a number of them out there. I was going to wait too until I saw the gameplay vids.

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 12:13 dj LiTh

I've had the shakes for about a month now, only Oct 9th will cure them.  

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:50 avianflu

I want this game but the trailer above did nothing for me. The gameplay videos are awesome however.  

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:44 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:37:
I'll keep an eye out for some GMG specials. They had a 25% off coupon that I tried to use but it said Xcom wasn't eligible. :(
Only in North America, the rest of the World can use that coupon and get the 25% off XCOM. Apparently that was the publisher's decision not to allow the NA people to save some money.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:37 Tumbler

I gave the demo a try and I'm happy with what I see. Not happy enough to pay $45 but it's better than I expected. I think they went a bit too far on the cut scenes. Maybe it's just the demo but at several points they just seemed annoying. When you choose to research your first tech in the demo based on this the lady scientist talks to you for 15 seconds or so about the expected results. This might be a tutorial thing and it doesn't show up in the full game as much but I noticed this kind of thing in many places. Every mission you launch you get this briefing that goes on for too long in my opinion.

Maybe all this stuff is a non issue in the full game but the demo ended before you could do even one mission without training wheels on so the end result is a wait and see feeling.

I'll keep an eye out for some GMG specials. They had a 25% off coupon that I tried to use but it said Xcom wasn't eligible.

Oh well, gotta buy something during steam winter sale right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:32 SpectralMeat

I am fighting the urge really hard not to cave in and preorder it.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:27 RailWizard

Sure hope this lives up to it's name. I'd preorder but I've bought so many games since summer I just can't afford it for awhile. Plus I have barely touched many of those games since I can only play so much at one time. heh. Sucks, I wouldn't have minded Civ 5 either.  

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 11:07 Shok

I finally caved in a pre-ordered it last night. I rationalized I would buy it anyway so I might as well get a free Civ5 to gift to someone. Oh, and I will need that pre-order dlc to change my X-com guys' shirt colors too *eyeroll*  

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 10:53 Ray Ban

Oh yeah!

Can't wait for my special edition to arrive next week!

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo