Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer

The launch trailer for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, subtitled "Our Last Hope," offers a look at gameplay to celebrate next week's release of Firaxis' continuation of the X-COM series of sci-fi strategy/action games. They say: "Take command of XCOM headquarters, recruit and train your soldiers, and research alien technology to advance the capabilities of your squad. The battle against the enemy will be tough, and success will depend on your ability to keep your recruits alive and evolve them from rookies to more skilled and powerful soldiers. You are our last hope to save humanity from the global alien invasion. Good luck, Commander."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 22:51 J

Whilst you're waiting, why not crank up the difficulty on the demo? Edit BaseGame.ini and replace line GameDifficulty=+0.0 with GameDifficulty=+3.0  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 11:50 SpectralMeat

There is a pretty good preview/interview on eurogamer  

Steam: SpectralMeat

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 11:41 Riker

How did this "30 missions per playthrough" myth start? I haven't read anything of the sort.  

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 05:39 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 04:44:
If you want the game to be really hard, play on Impossible Ironman difficulty and turn off the health bars. You can also turn off the action cams too if you want.

This is good to know. Nothing breaks immersion quite like an action cam closeup of a grey doing some stupid dance emote before he fires off his las-gun at your squadies.

Some of the most memorable experiences from the original was figuring out what exactly fired at you from a concealed garden/window/balcony and not knowing whether its a sole alien or some other unknown horror just waiting for one of your squadies to get over there and get slaughtered...

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 04:44 Jerykk

If you want the game to be really hard, play on Impossible Ironman difficulty and turn off the health bars. You can also turn off the action cams too if you want.  

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 04:25 InBlack

Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 00:37:
This is one of those times when I get torn about a project - in truth there is little doubt that this game is going to be at least good. It seems likely to be great. But (and there is the "but" everyone was waiting for) after I read each preview and interview and watch each trailer, I have to ask myself, is it X-COM?

I mean, when I think about my favorite things about X-COM (the original), things that come to mind are not even in the new game. I loved the randomly generated maps. I loved how they were fully destructible. I loved the open-endedness where you could go on missions almost indefinitely, and I loved that you could bring a squad of 22 soldiers with you on missions once you researched the best ship. So in the new version I only get 4 to 6 soldiers? There's a finite number of maps? You may only see 30 of them in a game? In the original, I could go on 100 missions easily before I ever attacked Cydonia. What else is missing that we haven't yet heard about? This is all kind of hard to swallow for me. Because they named it X-COM, I am kind of expecting what I think makes up X-COM to be in there, and so much of it apparently is not.

Hopefully enough 'X-COM-ness' will survive the transistion to a new modern day iteration and I can avoid missing out on a great game because of a name.

Those are precisely my issues with the game, and the main reason why I did not pre-order. Some of those issues have been adressed by fellow Bluesnewsers in the 'know-how':

Apparently the number of missions is not fixed in stone, it depends on what you research (just like in the original game) and how efficient you are in pursuing these goals. Apparently unlike the first game these goals will be known to you before hand, or rather as soon as you reach a milestone in the game, such as capturing your first alien, you will know exactly what you need to do next to progress in the game. So some major asshole handholding here but hey...its the 21st century we all gotta fucking deal with it or give up our hobby right??

The levels are still (fully?) destructible. THey are not proceduraly generated but as far as I know there are a number of levels for each template.

Say the mission is an urban setting. I guess there would be probably about 5 different levels for that setting. This is just an (un)educated guess though.

I dunno, Im on the fence and will wait and see...Im afraid that the game will feature too much handholding and too many TeamUSA high five close up headshots to be even remotely as atmospheric, scary or interesting as the original one was. But then again it might be crazy fun nontheless....It also might be a turd served as chocolate chipped Ice Cream....

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 04:20 Prez

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 02:45:
@ Prez...the terrain is destructable. It shows in the demo and on the gameplay vids.

I thought I read/heard somewhere (in a preview interview or video) that only portions of maps were destructible. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 02:45 dj LiTh

@ Prez...the terrain is destructable. It shows in the demo and on the gameplay vids.  

31. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 01:27 Bucky

Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 00:37:
Hopefully enough 'X-COM-ness' will survive the transistion to a new modern day iteration and I can avoid missing out on a great game because of a name.

I'm one of the lucky(?) ones in that I never played the original XCOM games. I fully understand the passion attached to them, but for me I'm able to look forward to this game without any of the legacy baggage attached.

The wait might kill me, though.

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 5, 2012, 00:37 Prez

This is one of those times when I get torn about a project - in truth there is little doubt that this game is going to be at least good. It seems likely to be great. But (and there is the "but" everyone was waiting for) after I read each preview and interview and watch each trailer, I have to ask myself, is it X-COM?

I mean, when I think about my favorite things about X-COM (the original), things that come to mind are not even in the new game. I loved the randomly generated maps. I loved how they were fully destructible. I loved the open-endedness where you could go on missions almost indefinitely, and I loved that you could bring a squad of 22 soldiers with you on missions once you researched the best ship. So in the new version I only get 4 to 6 soldiers? There's a finite number of maps? You may only see 30 of them in a game? In the original, I could go on 100 missions easily before I ever attacked Cydonia. What else is missing that we haven't yet heard about? This is all kind of hard to swallow for me. Because they named it X-COM, I am kind of expecting what I think makes up X-COM to be in there, and so much of it apparently is not.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 23:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, what? Only ~30 missions in a playthrough?

That sounds... too low, possibly.

That said, I already preordered, and thought the Demo was pretty good. Still I remember my X-Com and X-Com Terror From the Deep veterans having like 100+ missions under their belts. Oh well, multiple playthroughs it is, instead of giant marathon single playthrough followed by uninstall/reinstall a month later.

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 21:10 RollinThundr

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 17:26:
Rhett wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:03:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:43:
Whiskers wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:18:
They said something in an interview somewhere that there are a decent amount of maps and that in one playthrough, which usually last 30 missions or so, that you would not see the same map twice and that each map has random starting points so it'll be a little different as you move through a game. I think all the starting positions for everything are random every time.

My memory could be off but I believe they have somewhere around 90 maps. I'm not all that worried about seeing the same one twice.

I have not looked this forward to a game since maybe Dragon Age:Origins. Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday.

80+ maps, different layouts for each map. Different alien spawns. Different starting spawn for you. Different alien patrols/reactions/squads. Probably more to it, but that's what I remember about it.

Looking forward to the game. A lot.

They've also said that you won't be able to research everything or build everything in your base in one playthrough. You'll have to tailor it to a certain play style each time.

Soon precious

27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 20:04 Nate

Can't wait, can't wait! Release already!  

26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 19:42 MisterBenn

I really hope this is awesome, it looks fun but I'm a bit concerned. The streamlining in Civ 5 was too much for me, and things like abilities instead of inventory worries me in the same way. Part of the fun previously was organising the base output to have good supplies of decent weapons and it tied back into the science too. From what I've seen, the aliens always announce themselves with a cutscene so there is no getting shot at out of the dark, that's a bit of a shame. I think there's it will definitely have some fun in it but it might take a bit of a leap to embrace some of the changes.

I got the impression from one gameplay vid from an expo that some effort has gone into the head to head multiplayer. It looked like good fun, you could select from your faction's roster and fight it out over single maps and it gave the impression that the factions in that setting had effort put into them to balance them out. That could be an interesting new facet although it might be necessary to actually avoid the multiplayer unless you immediately see the entire set of aliens in your first sitting!

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 19:21 eRe4s3r

as long as it doesn't "just" support steam workshop, that thing has the worst interface ever invented.  

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 19:03 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:32:
I am fighting the urge really hard not to cave in and preorder it.

Ditto. However, I'm just not certain enough yet without seeing player feedback. Tired of getting burned with the pre-orders.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 18:56 Burrito of Peace

Look, Firaxis, you already have my pre-order money. Twice over, now.

JUST GIVE ME THE GODDAMNED GAME AND STOP TEASING ME!

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 17:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:03:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:43:
Whiskers wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:18:
They said something in an interview somewhere that there are a decent amount of maps and that in one playthrough, which usually last 30 missions or so, that you would not see the same map twice and that each map has random starting points so it'll be a little different as you move through a game. I think all the starting positions for everything are random every time.

My memory could be off but I believe they have somewhere around 90 maps. I'm not all that worried about seeing the same one twice.

I have not looked this forward to a game since maybe Dragon Age:Origins. Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday.

80+ maps, different layouts for each map. Different alien spawns. Different starting spawn for you. Different alien patrols/reactions/squads. Probably more to it, but that's what I remember about it.

Looking forward to the game. A lot.

They've also said that you won't be able to research everything or build everything in your base in one playthrough. You'll have to tailor it to a certain play style each time.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 17:20 WyldKat

It needs to be said too for those worried about level randomization that XCOM for the PC will have mod tools

I hope it will support Steam Workshop too.

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 17:17 WyldKat

THAT is how you do a launch trailer. Are you listening, ArenaNet?  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo