Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 4, 2012, 19:17 HorrorScope

TL2 9.4
BL2 9.7

I don't need another opinion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:53 nin

Is anybody going to defend the story? How much of the game is spent just looting? How much time is spent comparing weapons prior to figuring out they suck and selling them?

Like a lot of ARPGs, it covers a certain itch very well, but doesn't branch outside it much. Which, if you enjoy that, it isn't a bad thing. But yeah, it can get boring, sure...

edit:
has been, and always will be Diablo in FPS form.
Loot based game.

Exactly.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 19:01.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:46 xXBatmanXx

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 18:15:
BL2 does manage to just step into into the "stupid, but kind of fun" category for me, but a lot of his points do seem valid.

Is anybody going to defend the story? How much of the game is spent just looting? How much time is spent comparing weapons prior to figuring out they suck and selling them? Does anybody want to argue "just point the camera in a direct and hit accelerate" as a robust vehicle model? Are there some tedious enemies/quests/repeated levels?
It's fun in spurts. The $37 price and lack of new releases really help.
Noting it is still far, far better than Rage,
Ray

I has been, and always will be Diablo in FPS form.
Loot based game.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:34 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 16:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:04:
Well...I don't know if it is a bug or I got "lucky". Apparently, hitting Drop Weapon (hotkey not in menu) makes your weapon disappear? I just lost my 3 best weapons...

It throws the weapon away, yeah. About 10-20 feet in front of you. Did you not see them flying away?
Creston

Well, I was in the Farm House at Tundra - so that might be why they are gone. Maybe they went through the subterranean wall? Who knows. Oh well, moved on.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:15 Ray Marden

BL2 does manage to just step into into the "stupid, but kind of fun" category for me, but a lot of his points do seem valid.

Is anybody going to defend the story? How much of the game is spent just looting? How much time is spent comparing weapons prior to figuring out they suck and selling them? Does anybody want to argue "just point the camera in a direct and hit accelerate" as a robust vehicle model? Are there some tedious enemies/quests/repeated levels?
It's fun in spurts. The $37 price and lack of new releases really help.
Noting it is still far, far better than Rage,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 18:06 Prez

Between Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 (who says sequels are a bad thing?) I have to say that September was one of the best months in PC gaming in a long time for me. I give both an 11 out of 10.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 17:08 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:04:
Borderlands 2 on Zero Punctuation. NSFW.

Usually if I like the game or not his little deals are funny - this one wasn't at all, along with him being wrong about some mechanics, and he plays on a console.....soooooo.......

I would be a bitter, frustrated gamer if I had to play on consoles too.

14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 16:47 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:36:
I should be back in Pandora tomorrow with full Physix turned to HIGH!

I give it about an hour before you turn that back down.

(Not for performance reasons, but because it's a ridiculous feature that just becomes annoying. I played on Medium for awhile, and now it's just set to low. Quite frankly I find the flapping sheets of cloth to just be annoying, as they frequently block my LoS to those fucking buzzards.)

On a sidenote, hey Gearbox, who there thought that fighting 3 or 4 buzzards at once was fun? And then when you've finally, FINALLY taken them down, because they each have about 500.000 hps, you just spawn THREE FUCKING NEW ONES? Seriously, which of you fuckers thought that? Because I'm going to come over and cut your hands off so you'll never, ever be involved in game design ever again.

Creston

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 16:43 Creston

Well...I don't know if it is a bug or I got "lucky". Apparently, hitting Drop Weapon (hotkey not in menu) makes your weapon disappear? I just lost my 3 best weapons...

It throws the weapon away, yeah. About 10-20 feet in front of you. Did you not see them flying away?

As for ZP his reviews aren't really meant to be taken seriously. It's an entertainment skit, not an actual, serious, in-depth review. (Funny enough, though Angry Joe does reviews for entertainment much like ZP, his reviews are actually really in-depth and give you an excellent overview of the game in question. Then again, he reviews about a game a month, whereas ZP does one every single week.)

If ZP doesn't like a game, he'll have very little good to say about it. And this has really always been Borderlands' reception. People either really love it, or they hate its frakking guts. If you don't find it entertaining to shoot monsters with numbers floating over their heads and find infinite weapons, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of which are utter shit, then you'll have literally nothing in Borderlands (1 or 2) to amuse you.

And I have to agree that his mention of Wilhelm kicking the shit out of the original vault hunters was just a bullshit story gimmick.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 16:57.

12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 15:09 Flatline

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:13:
He's not really a reviewer, more like an entertainer. He rarely bothers to contextualize his complaints which is frustrating at times if you take it seriously. I agree with him on the characters being a bit samey, three of them are basically rehashes of the first games classes. Heck even Zero has a lot of overlap with Mordecai. That said, I think he missed the boat with his complaints. There is a lot of stuff to take to task in BL2 (loot variety, backtracking, etc) and he instead focused on minor personal complaints.

Yeah I don't have particularly similar tastes to Yhatzee and we agree/disagree about 50/50. He's usually pretty funny though.

However, I found his BL2 review to not even be entertaining. Which I suspect happens more and more at this point because he's cranking out the reviews weekly, and when he just feels blah about a game his creativity drops significantly.

11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 14:36 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:20:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:19:
eh, oh well. I will just find newer/better ones. Just hope I get some good loot in the gold chest. Up to 8 keys, might as well use a couple.

Couldn't just alt-F4 out?

Honestly didn't think I was going to have an issue copying the save, which I didn't, but for some reason it caught a save in there somewhere....who knows.

/on a lighter note: ALL COMPUTER PARTS HAVE ARRIVED!@ Picking up some paste later today and I should be back in Pandora tomorrow with full Physix turned to HIGH!

10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 14:20 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:19:
eh, oh well. I will just find newer/better ones. Just hope I get some good loot in the gold chest. Up to 8 keys, might as well use a couple.

Couldn't just alt-F4 out?

9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 14:19 xXBatmanXx

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 13:26 nin

Oh fuck! I always drop from within the menu...

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 13:23 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:19:
I alt tabbed, and i don't know if that creates a save, but I didn't move, and for some reason it saved right when I alt-tabbed. I went and copied save thinking I had enough time in there..... bummer. One of them was a way OP sniper from a gold box that I have had for 5 levels and it wasn't even close to being done. feck. Just used it to kill Wilhelm.

Sucks man, sorry. You might luck out and Windows 7 have a backup copy. Make a quick backup of the current file. Then try right clicking on your .sav file and selecting the Previous Versions tab, see if anything is there.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 13:19 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:09:

Man that sucks. Do you have a backup of your save file? That'd probably be the only way to get em back. I had a weird bug the other day, apparently one of the badass ranks challenges has a bug where if you have health regen from any source it will keep multiplying that rank. I completed that challenge without being aware of this and so in like a few minutes I had badass rank so high that I had +60% to everything, I could one shot everything. I had to load up a backup of an old save to fix it and lost like 5 hours of progress.

One thing I wish they would address too is the netcode. In multiplayer games there is a consistent bit of latency that is annoying, I have to lead some of my shots. That's on a FIOS connection at home even. The first game had a similar issue, I'm not sure if its a result of their prediction code or whatever but it would be nice if they took a look sometime. Some guy on the BL wiki did some tests awhile ago and estimated there they are making everyone play with equivalent of a 150ms ping. I suspect this is a concession to consoles where shared connections and lag are more common. It's really jarring playing Torchlight 2 or Counter-Strike where the netcode is really tight then going to BL2 multiplayer.

I alt tabbed, and i don't know if that creates a save, but I didn't move, and for some reason it saved right when I alt-tabbed. I went and copied save thinking I had enough time in there..... bummer. One of them was a way OP sniper from a gold box that I have had for 5 levels and it wasn't even close to being done. feck. Just used it to kill Wilhelm.

5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 13:09 Verno

Man that sucks. Do you have a backup of your save file? That'd probably be the only way to get em back. I had a weird bug the other day, apparently one of the badass ranks challenges has a bug where if you have health regen from any source it will keep multiplying that rank. I completed that challenge without being aware of this and so in like a few minutes I had badass rank so high that I had +60% to everything, I could one shot everything. I had to load up a backup of an old save to fix it and lost like 5 hours of progress.

One thing I wish they would address too is the netcode. In multiplayer games there is a consistent bit of latency that is annoying, I have to lead some of my shots. That's on a FIOS connection at home even. The first game had a similar issue, I'm not sure if its a result of their prediction code or whatever but it would be nice if they took a look sometime. Some guy on the BL wiki did some tests awhile ago and estimated there they are making everyone play with equivalent of a 150ms ping. I suspect this is a concession to consoles where shared connections and lag are more common. It's really jarring playing Torchlight 2 or Counter-Strike where the netcode is really tight then going to BL2 multiplayer.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 13:15.

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 13:04 xXBatmanXx

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 12:24 avianflu

not him at his best, though his sleeping dogs and guild wars2 videos offer some good points.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 11:13 Verno

He's not really a reviewer, more like an entertainer. He rarely bothers to contextualize his complaints which is frustrating at times if you take it seriously. I agree with him on the characters being a bit samey, three of them are basically rehashes of the first games classes. Heck even Zero has a lot of overlap with Mordecai. That said, I think he missed the boat with his complaints. There is a lot of stuff to take to task in BL2 (loot variety, backtracking, etc) and he instead focused on minor personal complaints.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo