Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod

PC Gamer notes that DICE's Gustav Halling tweets his disapproval of a modification for Battlefield 3 that adds a little more color to the arguably drab environments in DICE's military shooter sequel. In addition to expressing the opinion that it is "to [sic] colorful," the Battlefield 3 gameplay designer also warns that this could get players permanently banned, adding "The hack is not only a 'brightness modifier', its a proper cheat." Thanks Joao.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 05:06 jdreyer

This awesome youtube does a side by side comparison to show the differences. It's pretty amazing, and the vid scales up to 1080p.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 04:52 jdreyer

I assume the color mod changes will work in single player as well? I just picked this up, and haven't had a chance to play it at all.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 04:37 InBlack

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 22:18:
Remember when you could run your own server with whatever mods you wanted?

With Teamfortress2 you still can. And I have seen 0 cheaters so far.

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 01:29 Jivaro

wrlwnd wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 00:37:
I'm so glad I didn't buy this stupid game.

same.

24. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 00:37 wrlwnd

I'm so glad I didn't buy this stupid game.

23. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 00:10 Crustacean Soup

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:13:
hahahaha "you made the game better - so we will ban you!"
The anti-cheat tools pick up things that mess with DX calls, it's not like they're targeting this specifically.

22. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 00:06 RailWizard

entr0py wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:57:
DICE definitely made a mistake in desaturating the hell out of the game, to, I guess imitate Saving Private Ryan. But I can also appreciate it woudld give you a very big advantage to have normal vision in a game where everyone else is forced to suffer from color-blindness.

The ideal solution would be if DICE put the option in officially for everyone to have access to. But they're not going to do that.

This is what I was going to say. Build it in as a feature and let people choose.

I wanted to try that mod out, it reminded me of older BF's where you could actually see things.

DICE has really lost touch with reality, it's a shame.

21. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:57 entr0py

DICE definitely made a mistake in desaturating the hell out of the game, to, I guess imitate Saving Private Ryan. But I can also appreciate it woudld give you a very big advantage to have normal vision in a game where everyone else is forced to suffer from color-blindness.

The ideal solution would be if DICE put the option in officially for everyone to have access to. But they're not going to do that.

20. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:45 theyarecomingforyou

I never bought BF3 - what with it requiring Origin and not being available on Steam - but I played the demo and was annoyed by how grey it all was, especially when there were the colour comparisons between the alpha and beta. It looks shit. Looking at that video it's clear that DICE took things WAY too far and that mod clearly makes the game look much better.

The reality is that mods like this wouldn't be necessary if developers didn't fuck around with colour palettes for artist effect. It's one thing to mute the colours slightly; it's another for the entire colour palette to consist of fifty shades of grey.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

19. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:36 eRe4s3r

The luma sharpener in that is miles ahead of any other shader mod by the way...  

18. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:30 eRe4s3r

For real, the game looks incredible without this grey filter.

Just to goes to show that idiots without taste work at DICE. but that's been well known given how they tinted Metro in the beta (where it looked incredible at one point) into some blue tinted drug vision look alike

17. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:28 JeffD

What many of you are failing to realize is dice is NOT banning them for making the game look better. I am sure if allowed.. hackers could make many online games look better. The reason they can't or are not allowed is because part of the cheat protection schemes used is the scanning and verifying that the games source files are NOT MODIFIED. Some games also look for outside programs modifying the games memory in some way.

So DICE isn't actually saying they will ban you if you use this mod, they are saying their auto ban cheat protection will detect this mod as a hack and ban you for it.

16. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:24 Jackplug

wow they really must ban ppl for that, something that makes the game 10 times better than what Dice can make it. Not that I play the piece of shit now anyways.

Won't buy any more Dice games until they start releasing mod tools, sick of the shit maps they make..

15. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:05 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:01:

exactly!

Remember when BF 1942 had a full on map editor?! Oh the days when you used to want to buy games with the intent to mod.

You mean like games likes Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2? *hint hint, wink wink, buy these games, support them*

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

14. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 23:01 SectorEffector

exactly!

Remember when BF 1942 had a full on map editor?! Oh the days when you used to want to buy games with the intent to mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

13. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 22:42 Dev

vrok wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 21:54:
This is what he's talking about:
http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15732

I found this bit hilarious

Due to the heavy focus on the client in bf3 compared to bf2, modifying weapon damage among other things actually increases the damage dealt in multiplayer games (compared to bf2 where it does exactly nothing at all; make sure you understand this, modifying damage on your client is NOT meant to have any effect in online play in any game with decent netcode).

So dice set it up to trust all the client info on a MP game? HAAHAAHHAAHAAHAH

12. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 22:18 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

11. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 22:13 Wolfen

I dont play the game but instead of using this, others are trying to get this set up to work well with it. SweetFX http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

I use it on Skyrim. Works with pretty much all DX9 + games.

10. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 21:54 vrok

This is what he's talking about:
http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15732

Yes, it's stupid that you can do that shit but the fact remains, the method used is the same. It's not like anyone should be surprised that modifying game files like this is a no-no. Mod support or not, modifying game files to gain an advantage on normal servers should obviously not be allowed.

9. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 3, 2012, 21:25 deqer

Stuff like this is what makes people pirate games; pirate so that they don't have police devs interfering.

Piracy is not our fault, it's yours.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo