Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod

PC Gamer notes that DICE's Gustav Halling tweets his disapproval of a modification for Battlefield 3 that adds a little more color to the arguably drab environments in DICE's military shooter sequel. In addition to expressing the opinion that it is "to [sic] colorful," the Battlefield 3 gameplay designer also warns that this could get players permanently banned, adding "The hack is not only a 'brightness modifier', its a proper cheat." Thanks Joao.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 9, 2012, 18:36 Closed Betas

Since when does DICE ban cheaters? If they did, I'd still be playing BF2

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 6, 2012, 03:17 CeeJay

I had a feature like that planned for 1.2 but pushed it to the next release.  
I'm the developer of SweetFX

46. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 5, 2012, 08:36 Morgan19

PHJF wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 13:18:
Excuse me? Adding actual colors to the game makes it look more like every other shooter?

Have you played a single shooter released in the last ten years?

You're excused.

I don't get what you're getting at... Currently, though hated by many, at least the color filters make the game look different. Take that away, and it's a bright 'n cheery colored game like, as I said before, many others.

I don't get what's hard to understand about that?

45. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 19:09 Wolfen

CeeJay wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:48:
Thank you.

I actually started work on the LumaSharpen shader because I didn't like how the sharpener in InjectFXAA looked in Skyrim. That's how I got into shader programming.

It cannot measure up yet (but hopefully someday) to the popular avisynth sharpeners but they can't run on GPUs and none of them are anywhere near as fast as LumaSharpen in SweetFX. Even compared to other shader sharpeners LumaSharpen is extremely fast.

I'm quite happy with it.

No no.. thank you for SweetFX. It helped with Skyrim visuals tremendously for me, and sooner or later I am going to start messing with it in my other games. I had no idea you hang out in here hehe. I picked it up of course on the Nexus, and then went to guru3d to follow the progress more closely.

44. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 18:48 eRe4s3r

To use this "mod" you hack files that PB assumes to be protected because there are weapon damage values in them besides color values Anti Cheat would have no way to tell you are not cheating if you change these files at all.  

43. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 17:12 Creston

HOW DARE YOU FILTHY GAMERS MOD OUR GAME! EA WON'T HAVE IT! BANNED BANNED BANNNNNNNED!

Creston

42. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 15:47 eRe4s3r

I know I still remember the talk from that Skyrim topic.. good to see you got it in an injector package now and not in enbseries ...

I actually tried it with Anno 2070 in default settings, and SMAA is a bit too low.. in turn, I can actually tell texture details apart now, the sharpener does it's job very well. (Anno 2070 is generally very blurry)... Guess I will do some tuning now ;p

And good to see that this sharpener does not destroy fonts.. and yeah, that puts your injector version with luma sharpener above all else. Only thing that I feel still needs to be done is a easy way to switch between 2 shader profiles. Essentially like "reload shader config" just.. it switches between 2 different ones...

41. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 14:25 netnerd85

deqer wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 10:59:
netnerd85 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:29:
Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 22:18:
Remember when you could run your own server with whatever mods you wanted?
Still can, just have to play older games.

I don't understand why a company that is really only successful because of Mods that extended the life of their mediocre game would go down such a route.
Greed. Companies didn't like the idea of people playing a game longer than what the company wanted, so, now they don't make it moddable and they force mods as "DLCs" on you instead and make $ off them.

That's why recently I've stopped playing new games, I've stopped supporting new games, and I'm going back to older games and I'm advocating piracy again; because not even Steam impresses me anymore, what with all their hoops to jump through to connect game accounts, and hoops to play off line, and you being locked in to Steam and their EULA, invasion of privacy of tracking my gaming, etc. just doesn't feel like you really own the game.
lol, we agree on something!

I do my best to get DRM free versions. Spending less on Steam.

40. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 13:18 PHJF

When you take the tint away, the game looks more cartoony (because it's so colorful compared to the default), less unique, and more like every other Joe Shooting Game.

Excuse me? Adding actual colors to the game makes it look more like every other shooter?

Have you played a single shooter released in the last ten years?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 12:48 CeeJay

Thank you.

I actually started work on the LumaSharpen shader because I didn't like how the sharpener in InjectFXAA looked in Skyrim. That's how I got into shader programming.

It cannot measure up yet (but hopefully someday) to the popular avisynth sharpeners but they can't run on GPUs and none of them are anywhere near as fast as LumaSharpen in SweetFX. Even compared to other shader sharpeners LumaSharpen is extremely fast.

I'm quite happy with it.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

38. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 11:42 SectorEffector

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:05:
SectorEffector wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:01:

exactly!

Remember when BF 1942 had a full on map editor?! Oh the days when you used to want to buy games with the intent to mod.

You mean like games likes Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Torchlight 2? *hint hint, wink wink, buy these games, support them*

Oh man does torchlight include an editor!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

37. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 10:59 deqer

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:29:

I don't understand why a company that is really only successful because of Mods that extended the life of their mediocre game would go down such a route.
Greed. Companies didn't like the idea of people playing a game longer than what the company wanted, so, now they don't make it moddable and they force mods as "DLCs" on you instead and make $ off them.

That's why recently I've stopped playing new games, I've stopped supporting new games, and I'm going back to older games and I'm advocating piracy again; because not even Steam impresses me anymore, what with all their hoops to jump through to connect game accounts, and hoops to play off line, and you being locked in to Steam and their EULA, invasion of privacy of tracking my gaming, etc. just doesn't feel like you really own the game.

36. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:55 Verno

Morgan19 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:25:
Weird. Am I the only person who plays BF3 that doesn't mind the current "art direction", at least compared to the color mod?

I understand wanting the option to choose between "blue tint" and "color", that would be nice for people to be able to decide. But watching that comparison video, to me the mod actually makes the game look, I don't know, less interesting visually. When you take the tint away, the game looks more cartoony (because it's so colorful compared to the default), less unique, and more like every other Joe Shooting Game.

The base game has a really washed out, drab feeling to it. I think it's just the contrast between the two that is throwing you off, I find it pretty attractive.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

35. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:40 wtf_man

Morgan19 wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:25:
Weird. Am I the only person who plays BF3 that doesn't mind the current "art direction", at least compared to the color mod?

I understand wanting the option to choose between "blue tint" and "color", that would be nice for people to be able to decide. But watching that comparison video, to me the mod actually makes the game look, I don't know, less interesting visually. When you take the tint away, the game looks more cartoony (because it's so colorful compared to the default), less unique, and more like every other Joe Shooting Game.

As someone who has never bought or played BF3 at all... I see some of the cartoony-ness that you see in the color mod... but at the same time, I would prefer it to the bland original. It reminded more of Far Cry lushness than cartoony... but yes... I did see *some* cartoony-ness in it.

As for Dice calling it a cheat... well... that's why I don't buy shooters that companies can control after purchase. I'd rather run my own server with the mods I want.

34. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:29 netnerd85

33. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:25 Morgan19

32. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:23 Verno

Dice doing anything at all about cheaters, yeah that's going to happen. I'll use this whenever the hell I want, they will do nothing about it.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

31. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 09:12 HoSpanky

I didn't buy BF3, visually it didn't get my interest, and now I know why. Watching the mod comparison shots actually got me excited, then instantly sad, since I can't actually play the game that way.

Oh well. Back to Torchlight 2.

30. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 07:07 Dades

Crustacean Soup wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 00:10:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:13:
hahahaha "you made the game better - so we will ban you!"
The anti-cheat tools pick up things that mess with DX calls, it's not like they're targeting this specifically.

Anti-cheat tools, Battlefield 3, aren't you a joker.

29. Re: DICE Warns of Bans for BF3 Color Mod Oct 4, 2012, 05:27 Reactor

The grading is pretty good, except for the underground which looks a bit odd with a yellow tint.  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo