Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"

GamesIndustry International has an excerpt from their in-depth interview with Blizzard's Rob Pardo where the World of Warcraft lead designer expresses skepticism about the "endangered species" of AAA single-player games. "I don't see there being a great business model for it these days. It's really sad, there's just a lot of elements out there that conspire to make those games difficult to make now," he says. "Between pirating or the ability for people to rent games, it's hard for publishers to pour millions and millions of dollars into a game and not necessarily see the return they need to make those budgets realistic."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

5. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 20:31 The Half Elf

Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim. Over 100k mods. Yes Single Player games are an endangered species. Not to mention GTA 4, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Just Cause 2. I'm sure there are more but hell I have to go to bed in a few hours.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 20:25 Smellfinger

Traditional single player games don't fit the games-as-a-service model that the industry is moving toward.  

3. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 20:25 Acleacius

Good, no reason for me to even consider a blizzard game, more money to spend on real games.

Edit:Punctuation.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 20:36.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 20:22 nin

Let's see....9 games I back on KS, all with a SP option. Since June, I've picked up around 26 titles on steam (if I count my emails right), all with SP...

Just because they want to push that direction doesn't mean their customers plan on going with them.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 20:13 Beelzebud

Point of irony: Diablo 3 sold as well as it did, on the back of Diablo 2, which had a proper single player mode.

I predict any expansion for Diablo 3 will not come close to the original sales for the game. Blizz got fat and lazy, and I don't think they realize how much damage Diablo 3 did to them.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo