Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic

The Epic Games Website has news of the departure of Cliff Bleszinski, the design director that's long been one of the most public faces of the Unreal and Gears of War developer. The post includes kind words from his colleagues and no real indication of why this is happening besides CliffyB's comment that "its time for a much needed break." Here's the excerpt they share from Cliffs personal note to his colleagues:

Ive been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that Im grown up, its time for a much needed break.

I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR its been one big, rewarding learning experience. Im confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:36 ASeven

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 21:33:
Rattlehead wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:58:
Lot's of haters here, all less successful.

Yes, because obviously success is the biggest factor in determining a person's worth. Jesus people write some dumb shit.

It's rattlehead. Dumb is in his genes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:33 Prez

Yes, because obviously success is the biggest factor in determining a person's worth. Jesus people write some dumb shit.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:18 |RaptoR|

killer_roach wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:19:

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

Basically this. Cliff worked on some of the most memorable games in my lifetime.

The dude has earned his ego, imo. Him and Tim Sweeney are old school, and you can't blame a company for focusing on a profitable platform. It's not like there was a vendetta against PC gaming, it's just that the Xbox provided the opportunity and Epic seized it. Gaming companies are businesses after all, and you are lying to yourself if you think any of these indie studios would say no to Sony or Microsoft if they were approached to make an exclusive, AAA title on their platform. Straight up.

Common sense aside, the original Unreal ranks among my top 10 all time. Fuck did that game set my imagination off wild. I enjoyed the hell out of Gears of War 1-3, and I barely played the online component outside of mostly friend-populated games or horde mode. They were the publisher of One Must Fall 2097, which I dumped endless hours into on my old 486 DX2 66Mhz. Beast game.

Love it or hate it, Gears of War is a triple-A title that pioneered a lot of things. Horde mode, the off-set third person perspective, an engaging (if shallow) storyline, and remarkable characters (whether or not you loved/hated them, they're memorable and invoke emotion).

And let's not forget Epics charity to the very hostile industry they are in. CliffyB >did< have a lot to do with this. Epic took under their wing a struggling studio (PCF) with a lot of talent but little direction. They then salvaged the big huge games clusterfuck by forming Epic Montreal and hiring most of the original team at BHG. That is some really stand-up shit in an industry full of volatility, hate, and a lack of creativity. Epic is a shining star in an industry populated by Zynga, EA, Activision... and we're out here roasting their lead designer because he's got a little bit of an ego? WTF? This fucker deserves props for his role in saving those jobs ALONE, not including his other contributions to the industry.

Honestly, what is there to hate aside from a dude who was pumped about his games and maybe a little over zealous about his skill and influence?

Aside from being someone who has old school roots, Cliffy was also a great marketing personality. Not unlike Steve Jobs, though I'm not comparing their achievements. They both knew how to get face time with the media and free attention to their titles. He used his outgoing and egotistical personality for that. Dude is vocal, gets material written on him for free, and gets interviews to spout marketing jive. Hate the game, not the player. What he did worked.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 21:25.

20. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:13 Cutter

I don't hate Cliff or Epic. I'd have to care about them to hate them and I don't care about them at all.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:54 ASeven

You being the bottom of the barrel. In everything, really.

18. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Success is relative. But he did piss off the pc gamers who helped build Epic from the shithole nothing that it was.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:19 killer_roach

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

16. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:07 The Half Elf

Wait until Gears of War 3 is a Windows 8 Exclusive

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:58 Rattlehead

14. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:54 Darks

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:43:
I suddenly like Epic a whole lot more. What an Epic douchebag.

Took the words right out of my mouth, now maybe we will see some love for the pc again. Good fucking reddens Bitchboy!! Yes I hate you with a passion.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Protip to anyone in the business:
If this is what you grow up into, stop growing up.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:47 ASeven

Don't let the door hit your humongous ego ass on the way out!  

11. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:43 Prez

I suddenly like Epic a whole lot more. What an Epic douchebag.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:36 Golwar

Congratulations Epic!

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:26:
If you were pumping out PS3 and Xbox Exclusives for over half of your life, you'd get burnt out too.

What PS3 exclusives? Did I miss something?

9. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:34 Stimpack

Well, that's Epic.  

8. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:33 Wildone

Aw but hes sooo cute I wanna pinch his cheek! Did I say pinch? I meant punch  

7. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:26 The Half Elf

If you were pumping out PS3 and Xbox Exclusives for over half of your life, you'd get burnt out too.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:23 Quboid

What did he actually say about PC gamers? I've heard comments supposedly from him which were baseless, did he actually say anything that's unfair?  

- Quboid

5. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 19:14 Paketep

Oh, god, perhaps there is hope for Epic yet.  

4. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 18:53 born2expire

Finally Epic does something right, ITS BEEN A LONG DAMN TIME!  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo