Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic

The Epic Games Website has news of the departure of Cliff Bleszinski, the design director that's long been one of the most public faces of the Unreal and Gears of War developer. The post includes kind words from his colleagues and no real indication of why this is happening besides CliffyB's comment that "itís time for a much needed break." Here's the excerpt they share from Cliffís personal note to his colleagues:

Iíve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that Iím grown up, itís time for a much needed break.

I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR Ė itís been one big, rewarding learning experience. Iím confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 20:15 |RaptoR|

4D-Boxing wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:37:
@ RAPTOR

Blaming a company for focusing on a successful platform?!?!?!
LOL people can tell themselves that if it makes them feel better. People hate the guy because he said a lot of BS. The guy just had to think before opening his mouth.

Its not hard to look up the comments, Google is your friend..
From there you'll be able see who made this personal.

Good for Epic but bad for the Thailand's ladyboys..

Specific citations please, because all I can find is a bunch of boasting that EVERY designer does in the media when given the opportunity.

edit: and if all you have against this dude is his transition to the xbox under the guise of PC piracy (which is overstated but still valid), with other contributions to gaming be damned... then you're just being unreasonable.

Regarding platform profitability: Epic was big with Unreal and UT. Epic is HUGE post-xbox. I mean, that's pretty telling.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 20:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 12:37 4D-Boxing

@ RAPTOR

Blaming a company for focusing on a successful platform?!?!?!
LOL people can tell themselves that if it makes them feel better. People hate the guy because he said a lot of BS. The guy just had to think before opening his mouth.

Its not hard to look up the comments, Google is your friend..
From there you'll be able see who made this personal.

Good for Epic but bad for the Thailand's ladyboys..

41. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 10:24 Bet

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 22:40:
Maybe this will help clarify his vision, because he lost "it" long ago.
I thought his vision was a gun with a chainsaw on it. Really, truly did. Wasn't it?

40. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 10:11 bhcompy

But who will JeffK make fun of now?  

39. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 10:05 Darks

Tony!!! wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 09:59:
I'm 40 years here. Been gaming since the begining. This is 'Epic' and sorta sad news. Hate to see the guy go. Big fan of his work and have never jumped on the hater band wagon as others have due to his ego and presence.
Always loved the guy. Unreal, UT, Gears...all good stuff. You Rock dude!

360's Robo Pop ...out.

Lets not confuse the issue, my personal hate of this guy comes from his leading the charge against putting Gears of War two and three on the pc because of his distate for piracy. They gave us GOW 1 and at release it had issues working on some pcs. so hes got all butt hurt over the hatered comments and took the stance fuck you to all, GOW 2 and 3 will never see the light of day on the PC.

This is why I hate the fucker. I dont do consoles so dont even go there.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 10:22.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

38. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 09:59 Tony!!!

I'm 40 years here. Been gaming since the begining. This is 'Epic' and sorta sad news. Hate to see the guy go. Big fan of his work and have never jumped on the hater band wagon as others have due to his ego and presence.
Always loved the guy. Unreal, UT, Gears...all good stuff. You Rock dude!

360's Robo Pop ...out.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

37. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 09:56 Verno

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 01:22:
Other than about four people...

You are all an ass-load of pin-headed douche-bags.

Seriously.. all i can do is just shake my head and say Wow..

You never contribute anything of value so that's not really saying anything (as usual).

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

36. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 09:06 nin

Repent. You're going to hell for thinking that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 08:09 Wallshadows

Easy, fellas, they still have Mark Rein on board...  

34. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 04:47 InBlack

And that is why we will all party in hell while you waste away your eternity kissing up to Jesus the Lord.

Now onto more serious matters, Unreal (1) was a kickass game and Unreal Tournament was a solid multiplayer shooter, although I prefered Q3A to be honest. Other than that Epic was more Epic Fail than anything else to me....Might have been otherwise if they stuck to their PC origins but hey. Live and let Live I say.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 03:01 Cutter

ChandlerL wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 01:32:
Cutter wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 21:13:
I don't hate Cliff or Epic. I'd have to care about them to hate them and I don't care about them at all.

Don't let the post about not caring confuse anyone though.

I could care less. That is to say, not at all.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

32. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 02:08 Dr. D. Schreber

It boggles my mind that this guy actually has people defending his ego. Was it even two months ago he was bragging about how Unreal Engine 4 was going to drag the next gen of consoles into awesomeness and giving us all blowjobs just like Unreal Engine 3 did for this generation?

Success, especially financial success with nothing to say for it but "we sold dumb shit to dumb people" (seriously, the writing on Gears 2 was worse than Mass Effect 3's ending,) does not undo douchebaggery.

To be clear, I really don't give a rat's ass about how "PC Gamers made Epic and they've forsaken us." That's a load of bull. I do not hold it against a for-profit company when they go where a bigger profit is. Welcome to capitalism. How it can be somehow wrong to hold CliffyB's countless holier-than-thou statements, his attitude, and his disingenuous nonsense ("No Gears 2/3 on PC because of piracy! Piracy has ruined everything! Piracy piracy piracy! What's that Valve makes money in Russia? Piracy piracy PIRACY!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!11!!!!!!!one!!!!") against him is beyond my comprehension. It's not like he's even the only one in the fucking company with the attitude. lol Bulletstorm being a shoddy port may have hurt sales a LITTLE but it was also just pirated to high hell...

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

31. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 01:32 ChandlerL

Cutter wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 21:13:
I don't hate Cliff or Epic. I'd have to care about them to hate them and I don't care about them at all.

Don't let the post about not caring confuse anyone though.

30. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 01:22 Hellbinder

The Whales name is Bob.

29. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 23:32 Jackplug

Only hires the best of the best, whats fucking a bighead..  

28. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 23:11 Beamer

Rod left, Cliff left... who's leading games now? Tanya?  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 23:10 SectorEffector

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 18:45:
I wonder if he'll miss being a giant douchenozzle against pc gamers.

Creston

lol now now...

I really hope he does something good with the PC platform... if he goes console after this then fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

26. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 22:40 Fantaz

He may look young but he's been in the industry a looong time. Maybe he had a midlife crisis and decided to get out of making games for now. Jazz Jackrabbit will remain among one of my favorite PC platforming games.  

25. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 22:40 KilrathiAce

Maybe this will help clarify his vision, because he lost "it" long ago.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

24. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:53 sauron

Cliff, we love you. Great games. But please STOP IT with the hair dye.

Also, maybe get a shave and look at the wardrobe (but not so much you turn into a suit).

If you ignore that last part we may forgive on the basis of the original UT demo and Facing Worlds. Or maybe not.

Kittens!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo