Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter

This Kickstarter Campaign from Loot Drop seeks funding for an old-school RPG from this studio founded by John Romero and Tom Hall (thanks Rob). They are looking for a million dollars to develop "a classic RPG from the days when RPGs were king" designed by Hall (Anachronox) and Brenda Brathwaite (Wizardry), though if they hit the $1.9 million plateau, this will actually become two separate games, one designed by each. Like so many Kickstarter campaigns, there is no concise summary of the game, but here is their outline of the game world:

• Exploration: Explore a richly detailed world, home to unique, dangerous and sometimes crafty creatures who may be friend or foe.
  • Treasure: Loot castles, caverns and dungeons and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key.
  • NPCs: At least five known NPC races call this world home. Forge alliances with them and do their bidding - or be their undoing.
  • Quests: Solve hundreds of quests on your way to discovering and uncovering the secrets of the world.
    Multiple Endings: The smallest of intentions sometimes matters far more than you know. It is a world alive with memories.
  • Multiple Beginnings (Stretch Goal): The endings in one game affect the beginnings in another. Import your characters from one world to another.
  • Combat: Turn-based combat harkens back to the days when spells and swords hit hard and last-second healing spells saved the day.
  • NPC Enemies (Stretch Goal): What once was a relatively peaceful world becomes much more dangerous not only for you, but for those who live there. New NPCs come complete with an expanded game area and quests.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 15:59 NKD

Jivaro wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 14:22:
1AngryGamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 14:14:
I was in until I saw the fucking Packers helmet on the desk

Screw that

You were one of the replacement referees weren't you?

Given the level of reason usually present here, I'm guessing we have more than one NFL replacement ref who is from Blue's.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 15:39 Cutter

Screw that

In the words of The Dude..."Oh yeah? Well that's just like, your opinion, man."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 14:22 Jivaro

Screw that

You were one of the replacement referees weren't you?

23. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 14:14 Angrius Maximis

Screw that

22. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 14:12 LittleMe

Phasenoise wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 13:44:
Bill Borre wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:49:
I assume that we'll be seeing Kickstarters from dead developers soon.

I hope so. I'd love a M.U.L.E. rekindling. (A good one)

A M.U.L.E. remake was done, not too long ago by his children iirc.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

21. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 13:44 Phasenoise

I hope so. I'd love a M.U.L.E. rekindling. (A good one)

20. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 12:53 Jivaro

"From the great great grandsons of that gaming god guy your grandfather would never shut up about...an old school RPG!"

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 13:18.

19. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 12:49 Bill Borre

18. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 12:45 Riker

Anachronox was pretty cool, if lacking in certain ways. Tom Hall hasn't done anything that I care about since, but he clearly has some talent.  

17. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 12:32 LittleMe

Jivaro wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:54:
It could very well be poor timing too, I mean honestly...

I read that as 'poor triming' and thought... what? Oh, yeah.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

16. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:58 Verno

Squirmer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:11:
I can't believe how childish you people are. Romero makes one bad game over a decade ago and now everything he does is a scam/shit/worthless? Grow up.

There is a flipside to that comment. Many think that he only contributed in a positive way to one game, so why should people care?I agree though that everyone deserves a second chance. I think Romero is a bit of a buffoon but if he makes a good game I would buy it. I sure as hell won't kickstart it with his history of abusing funds though.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

15. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 Jivaro

I can't believe how childish you people are. Romero makes one bad game over a decade ago and now everything he does is a scam/shit/worthless? Grow up.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my dislike of Romero has very little to do with any of his games. I simply dislike his way of going about things. Of course, I don't have to like someone to buy their stuff, in fact that is probably one of the least important facets. The fact that he hasn't done anything that interests me in years is what does it. I don't see his name and say "this should be good". I respect him on many levels, but that hasn't translated into me wanting to buy his products. In addition to that, his business track record does not exactly inspire confidence.

All of that being said, and again I am not presuming to speak for everyone here, even if his name wasn't attached to this....it still isn't a project that generates interest for me.

It could very well be poor timing too, I mean honestly...I am starting to suffer a bit of Kickstarter overload and would like to see a few of my investments turn into something before I start investing in more. This is something a great many people here at this site have predicted being the case for some time....that at some point there will be a lull in KS support if for no other reason then some projects need to start actually finishing before people will keep donating to new ones.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 12:38.

14. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:51 netnerd85

Agreed.

13. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:28 D-Rock

Haha -- wow. It's still the cool thing to trash-talk the Romero?

I'd like to see this one be successful. There isn't enough 'old school' these days.

12. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:25 Creston

I immediately perked when I saw Tom Hall. Anachronox was so fucking awesome, it's hard to even put into words. And then you add Miss Wizardry... Damn. (and to those saying you didn't play Anachronox or that it sucked: A POX ON YOU FILTHY HEATHENS!!)

But seriously, developers, stop doing Kickstarters during this time of year. I have no more money. Dishonored and Xcom come out next week, AC3 and Farcry 3 a month after. Come to me in April and May, when there's nothing out and I have plenty of games money to spend.

As much as it pains me to say, I'm going to have to skip this and hope it still makes funding so I can buy it when it's out.

Creston

11. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:20 RailWizard

wtf_man wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 10:19:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 10:07:
They lost me at John Romero.

I'll only back teh g4me if it has my buddy Superfly in it.

Seriously though... I never played Anachronox, and By Wizarddry design, if they mean anything like what D.W. Bradley came up with (Dungeon Lords)... I'll pass.

You missed nothing, Anachronix sucked. I only played 1 wizardry game, 5 I think on Snes IIRC. It was good, but...pretty long in the tooth now. Legend of Grimrock is about as good of a modernized update of that style you could get IMO.

Basically none of these guys/gals has done anything of note in the last 20(?) years.

10. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:11 Squirmer

9. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 10:58 Jivaro

I can't quite put my finger on it but something just doesn't sound right with this.

I am not sure if it is Romero's name being associated with it, or that I didn't think Anachronox was that great, or just how the whole thing is worded. Can't get excited for it, don't see it actually ever being completed, and ultimately can't see myself putting any money into it.

Best of luck to them I guess. If somehow they do manage to turn out a quality turn-based RPG it isn't like I wouldn't buy it.

8. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 Mr. Tact

I have to agree, this reeks of ripoff...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 10:51 Stanly Manly

loomy wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 10:40:
posting for history. I was there when john romero scammed the industry and got paid for nothing, I was there during his exodus, and I'm here when he returns to do it again. full circle mother fuckers

Yep, I am with you. I can't help but feel this is a scam. After witnessing the success of the Project Eternity kickstarter, it seems they just threw together a bunch of vague bullet points about an RPG and hoped to ride some coattails to free money.

Just pass... I bet we see a lot more of this type of bullshit now, since KS is starting to open more eyes, and even spawned a copycat business already.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo