Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm replacing the router here in the BlueTower today, as we've been getting very spotty wi-fi coverage in the living room downstairs. It may turn out we need a repeater somewhere in the middle, but the new unit should have better coverage, so maybe not. Since it seemed like time to get a dual-band router because there are so many devices on the network, and a couple of them can take full advantage of both bands, so this seemed like the logical first step.

Wireless Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Penguins Attack TD 4.
Links: 5 Famous Video Game Villains (Who Are Actually the Victim).
10 Films Surprisingly Created Without CGI.
The Best of Tim Burton. Thanks Batman.
Cosplay of the Day.
Badass Teacher of the Day.
Media: Dad Makes Ice Cream Truck Costume For Son Who Uses A Wheelchair.
Construction Fail. No way to see that coming.
Tank Loading Fail.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 10:18 Ant

I don't use wireless myself.
Me either for my desktop computers at home and work. I was speed and stability. My old Netgear RT311 router still works AFAIK.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 08:39 sauron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 01:24:
damn, just got the game today for 36.

Via Slickdeals:
GreenManGaming has The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC Digital Download) for $36 - 25% off code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN = $27. Steam account required.

Also available, GMG has The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard (PC Downloadable Content) for $15 - 25% off code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN = $11.25. Steam account required.

Hey, don't forget these babies:

Fun and excitement!

Wow!

On sale!

Seriously though, those deals on Skyrim are pretty great.

Kittens!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 01:37 PHJF

I haven't in years. But even wired functionality goes to shit or dies on whatever router I've ended up getting. The last router I got was a buffalo whr-hp-g300n and it started dropping my wired connections after ~6-12 months.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 01:24 xXBatmanXx

damn, just got the game today for 36.

Via Slickdeals:
GreenManGaming has The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC Digital Download) for $36 - 25% off code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN = $27. Steam account required.

Also available, GMG has The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard (PC Downloadable Content) for $15 - 25% off code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN = $11.25. Steam account required.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 01:08 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 17:44:
I've yet to meet a wifi router that didn't die like clockwork after 1-2 years. I had the famous WRT whatever from Linksys and the wifi conked out in under a year.

Had that happen to my parents for about 4 routers or so but then I bought them the right model of the "WRT whatever" with the changeable firmware and got them whatever the best one was and they've been using it since. I'm not sure how long ago that was but it's more than the usual 1-2 years they die in... so success!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2012, 00:28 Ant

sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 13:20:
Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:43:
I still have an old WRT54G running in the basement. Thing has been rock solid for 6 years. The only problem with Linksys/Cisco is that they love to play model lottery, some slight model variations will have half the memory and etc. The newer Netgear stuff is very hackable and pretty reliable in my experience, I didn't care for their older stuff. D-Link is bottom barrel, lots of hardware issues and their firmware is a disaster.

Yep, that's right on the money, I agree with everything you said.

I too have a WRT54G that also still functions - those things never die. They made Linksys' reputation in the household market.
Espcially when with third party firmwares.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Which router, Blue? Oct 4, 2012, 00:25 Ant

I had to get a Netgear R6300 WiFi Router 802.11AC Dual Band Gigabit Router for my parents' new big house. I tried an old Linksys WRT54GL, but it didn't work well wirelessly.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 21:47 jimnms

I've yet to meet a wifi router that didn't die like clockwork after 1-2 years. I had the famous WRT whatever from Linksys and the wifi conked out in under a year.
My two Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers are still going after 7 years and 3 months. I'm running Tomato on them. If I were to get a new one, I would go with another Buffalo router. The new ones come with a custom version of DD-WRT Professional. The two I mentioned in my previous post that I bought and sent back where Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH routers. I considered keeping one as a router/AP. That thing had a lot of built in features it could be sold as an enterprise router. It has all kind of stuff that you can enable like a built in RADIUS server.

MeanJim on Steam

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 21:44 Prez

I just recently had to upgrade my modem to a DOCSIS 3 - capable model in order to take advantage of the business class tier speed offered by Comcast or Xfinity or whatever name the shit-tastic company wants to go by this week. It is an all-in-one jobber with a VOIP modem and a wireless router built in. The cable modem and VOIP work fine but damn the wifi sucks ass. Any devices outside the room that it is in can hardly detect the damn thing. I had to plug my old Netgear dual band router into it to be able to use devices elsewhere in the house. "Hooray!" for new technology; "BOOO!" for when it fails to even work as good as the stuff it is supposed to replace.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 19:33 Acleacius

Two mail delivery failures, someone close by bring a sixpack and a router to Blue!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Router Oct 3, 2012, 19:17 jdreyer

I'm actually in the market for a new router myself. Maximum PC gave the Asus RT-N66U Wi-Fi Router a kickass rating. Anyone have any expereince with it?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 19:15 xXBatmanXx

? I have a NetGear Gamer Lounge router that is awesome. Had for 4-6 years, don't recall. Also had numerous Linksys that someone else mentioned that I know are still working.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 19:14 xXBatmanXx

Another code for Borderlands 2, good from 6pm to 8pm CST:

WinPC: 5TW33-SRZFH-63J33-BJ3TJ-FXF9F
PS3: KJCBT-3WCZT-FH3CT-S3CBJ-W3FT6
X360: KTKJT-Z3K5F-BR63X-K63T3-BBK66

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 18:23 The Half Elf

About 6+ years with my Netgear router, AND survived 2 indoor smokers.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 17:44 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 17:15 Cutter

I don't understand stuff.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 16:37 Cabezone

I recently changed my folks router to the Netgear WNDR3800 and they have no complaints. It extended their coverage quite a bit from their old router. My mother was pleased to have wifi to the far end of the backyard. I'm currently using the 4500 and have no complaints about it. Dunno about range as I live in an apartment and never had coverage problems anyway.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 15:34 jimnms

sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:02:
I tried a dual-band router to extend coverage in my apartment, but the problem turned out to be a load-bearing wall in the way of the signal. The place is L-shaped and the router is in one end of it.

A repeater seems to have fixed the problem, bouncing the signal around the corner of the L, but the repeater I have (Netgear) isn't that great. Anyone know if Cisco makes a better one?

Have you tried powerline networking HomePlug AV as it's generally called? For a long time I was using two wireless G routers with Tomato firmware to create a bridge between my bedroom and the living room. It worked fine when the PC in there was only recording SDTV, but after getting a few HD channels and upgrading my HTPC with a digital HD card, I could not stream the HD shows to the PC in my room. I tried a Wireless N setup, but was disappointed in its performance. There are also a lot more Wireless networks in the neighborhood which probably had a lot to do with it.

I ended up getting a cheap 200Mbps HomePlug/router combo deal on sale. It was only $35, so I figured it was worth the shot. It blew away the Wireless N gear despite being an 80 year old house with original wiring. I sent the Wireless N stuff back, but kept my old wireless G stuff. I use one for a router and the other as a dedicated AP. I disabled the router part of the HomePlug kit, and it acted as a 4-port switch in the living room. The HomePlug part of the router kept dying every 5-6 months, but they kept replacing it for the two years it was under warranty.

I now have a 500Mbps Netgear HomePlug deal which has been going strong for over a year. I don't know what the actual performance of it is because both of my router's switches are 100Mbit and it's maxing that link out. It's a hell of a lot easier to setup too, it really is just plug and play. Out of the box they're unencrypted, sort of like an open wirless network. They'll connect to any other HomePlug device without encryption automatically. Generally you won't have to worry about anyone getting access to it, but in some cases the signal can travel to adjacent apartments (and sometimes homes even neighboring houses). Setting encryption on them is easy. Plug them both in, press a button on one, then within 30 seconds press the button on any other HomePlug adapters and they will set up a private network with a random encryption key. You can use the included software to set your own if you don't trust the automatic deal.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 13:39 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 13:26:
Start at 1 CST. This is mostly for EU people who would be at home playing, said there will be more codes later today for US peeps. You MUST BE IN GAME to enter codes, there is no other way to do it.

How long does that one last? Stuck at work until 4:30...

Standard 2 hours. His feed says more codes later today for US people, and they are getting close to being done with testing to give more codes later with no time restrictions.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 13:26 nin

Start at 1 CST. This is mostly for EU people who would be at home playing, said there will be more codes later today for US peeps. You MUST BE IN GAME to enter codes, there is no other way to do it.

How long does that one last? Stuck at work until 4:30...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo