Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm replacing the router here in the BlueTower today, as we've been getting very spotty wi-fi coverage in the living room downstairs. It may turn out we need a repeater somewhere in the middle, but the new unit should have better coverage, so maybe not. Since it seemed like time to get a dual-band router because there are so many devices on the network, and a couple of them can take full advantage of both bands, so this seemed like the logical first step.

Wireless Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Penguins Attack TD 4.
Links: 5 Famous Video Game Villains (Who Are Actually the Victim).
10 Films Surprisingly Created Without CGI.
The Best of Tim Burton. Thanks Batman.
Cosplay of the Day.
Badass Teacher of the Day.
Media: Dad Makes Ice Cream Truck Costume For Son Who Uses A Wheelchair.
Construction Fail. No way to see that coming.
Tank Loading Fail.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 13:20 sauron

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:43:
I still have an old WRT54G running in the basement. Thing has been rock solid for 6 years. The only problem with Linksys/Cisco is that they love to play model lottery, some slight model variations will have half the memory and etc. The newer Netgear stuff is very hackable and pretty reliable in my experience, I didn't care for their older stuff. D-Link is bottom barrel, lots of hardware issues and their firmware is a disaster.

Yep, that's right on the money, I agree with everything you said.

I too have a WRT54G that also still functions - those things never die. They made Linksys' reputation in the household market.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 13:05 xXBatmanXx

More Borderlands 2 codes coming today.

WinPC: KJK33-XFZ6H-F3BBT-3BBJJ-WTXR6
PS3: KTKJT-Z3K9B-FS35T-S35T3-BBKXC
X360: CT5BT-6BCKX-B6F3X-KXTTB-WXHH5

Start at 1 CST. This is mostly for EU people who would be at home playing, said there will be more codes later today for US peeps. You MUST BE IN GAME to enter codes, there is no other way to do it.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 13:15.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 12:43 Verno

sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:33:
I have a Linksys EA4200 dual-band router and am happy with it. My repeater is by Netgear and is a bit flaky. I'll probably replace it with a Linksys PLWK400 soon.

Yeah that Linksys is pretty good, nice specs. I still have an old WRT54G running in the basement. Thing has been rock solid for 6 years. The only problem with Linksys/Cisco is that they love to play model lottery, some slight model variations will have half the memory and etc. The newer Netgear stuff is very hackable and pretty reliable in my experience, I didn't care for their older stuff. D-Link is bottom barrel, lots of hardware issues and their firmware is a disaster.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 12:33 sauron

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:40:
I'd suggest the Netgear WNDR3700 which is dual band, supports OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware and is fairly powerful. Asus also makes some good routers as well as 2Wire.

Steer clear of D-Link.

I have a Linksys EA4200 dual-band router and am happy with it. My repeater is by Netgear and is a bit flaky. I'll probably replace it with a Linksys PLWK400 soon.

And yeah, don't buy D-Link.

Kittens!

6. Re: 10 Films Surprisingly Created Without CGI. Oct 3, 2012, 12:31 SimplyMonk

Bodolza wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 12:12:
...at least 6 of which used large amounts of CGI.

Yeah. Typical schlock journalism. Headline to grab attention. Completely distorts contents of article.

5. 10 Films Surprisingly Created Without CGI. Oct 3, 2012, 12:12 Bodolza

...at least 6 of which used large amounts of CGI.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 11:40 Verno

I'd suggest the Netgear WNDR3700 which is dual band, supports OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware and is fairly powerful. Asus also makes some good routers as well as 2Wire.

Steer clear of D-Link.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 11:09 nin

sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:02:
I tried a dual-band router to extend coverage in my apartment, but the problem turned out to be a load-bearing wall in the way of the signal. The place is L-shaped and the router is in one end of it.

A repeater seems to have fixed the problem, bouncing the signal around the corner of the L, but the repeater I have (Netgear) isn't that great. Anyone know if Cisco makes a better one?

Thou shall not buy cisco. Only backstracked after getting caught...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 11:06 BobBob

Give this a try http://tinyurl.com/worksbest  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 11:02 sauron

I tried a dual-band router to extend coverage in my apartment, but the problem turned out to be a load-bearing wall in the way of the signal. The place is L-shaped and the router is in one end of it.

A repeater seems to have fixed the problem, bouncing the signal around the corner of the L, but the repeater I have (Netgear) isn't that great. Anyone know if Cisco makes a better one?

Kittens!

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo