Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Non-Gaming Apps on Steam

The Software on Steam Store is now open, a bit later than expected (right on Valve Time), allowing customers the chance to buy non-gaming applications through Valve's digital distribution service. At launch they offer six titles (and the previously released free Source Filmmaker), noting that many take advantage of Steamworks features such as easy automatic updating and saving to the Steam Cloud, giving the example that GameMaker Studio features integration with Steam Workshop to allow users to share their work via Steam. For the first week all of these applications are on sale for 10% off: 3D-Coat, 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage, ArtRage Studio Pro, CameraBag 2, and GameMaker: Studio.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 3, 2012, 00:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 21:45:
That would be up to futuremark. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't setup a way to get a steam version with a previous key. They will want to sell a 2nd copy to people.
Yeah I guess we'll see, I posted a question on just that and I guess we'll see in a few days. If I hear anything I'll post an update here or in one of the other semi-busy threads later for anyone curious.

The reply:

It is not possible to register an existing key to Steam account.

However, you can use the Steam version with the existing key; As long as you have installed a standalone version and put your key there (so it is stored in your registry), you can then install the free Steam demo version and enjoy the auto updates etc. but it will start up as Advanced (without having to buy it again). The key is also saved to your 3dmark.com account as long as you have submitted one score and registered an account - so it can be looked up from there at any time.

3DMark 11 should also still have a box to input the key to in Help tab even for Steam version. For Vantage you have to use the standalone installer at least once to put the key in (if it isn't in your registry)

second edit:

Note that we have heard reports of 3DM11 steam version not properly saving the key if you input it in the help tab. We're investigating that. What definitely should work is if you already have standalone, put the key there so it is stored on your system and then start up the Steam demo version.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 02:59.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 22:37 Dev

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 22:35:
I can understand wanting to protect a 2 hour movie more than a mp3 soundtrack, but I agree - if I was buying media from them, I'd want to do whatever I wanted to do, short of uploading it for the rest of the internet to have.
Its tough to stop the one without stopping the others.

17. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 22:35 nin

Jensen wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 22:28:
Panickd wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:30:
I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam.
I'm fine with buying games with Steam DRM, but I don't like DRM for video/audio/text, as it limits which devices I can use.

What did they do for Indie Game? I never bought it...did it check for a license or something (on playback)?

I can understand wanting to protect a 2 hour movie more than a mp3 soundtrack, but I agree - if I was buying media from them, I'd want to do whatever I wanted to do, short of uploading it for the rest of the internet to have.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 22:28 Jensen

I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam.
I'm fine with buying games with Steam DRM, but I don't like DRM for video/audio/text, as it limits which devices I can use.

15. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 21:45 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 20:28:
Hmm doesn't look like those of us with 3dmark 11 codes can use them to add it to their library automatically. Putting in the key with the demo version will kick it to the legit version, which put it automatically into your cart, but won't download it either. Looks like there's a few bugs to work out in the app part still.

That would be up to futuremark. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't setup a way to get a steam version with a previous key. They will want to sell a 2nd copy to people.

14. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 20:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Hmm doesn't look like those of us with 3dmark 11 codes can use them to add it to their library automatically. Putting in the key with the demo version will kick it to the legit version, which put it automatically into your cart, but won't download it either. Looks like there's a few bugs to work out in the app part still.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 20:34.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 20:07 Bhruic

This is a bit of an underwhelming launch. I expected them to have - at minimum - a few dozen apps lined up.  

12. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 19:47 Dev

Gamemaker basic is free, interesting. And integrated with steam workshop.

Also, smart of valve to do this with the 3d coat:
Your 3D models can be auto-compiled directly to the Team Fortress 2 Workshop from within 3D Coat!
And the pro version:
By purchasing this license you receive the rights to use 3D-Coat commercially.

In combination with valve saying somethig like you can do wtf ever with source filmmaker (if you don't make money off of valve's assets), you could use SFM and something like 3d coat to do commercial animated videos for cheap.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 19:54.

11. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 19:43 Dev

If they had a 30%+ sale on FRAPS, I'd get it. FRAPS is so freaking expensive IMHO.

Futuremark: Protip for ya, put a video onto the steam page for 3dmark 11 so people can see wtf it looks like in action.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 19:59.

10. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 19:32 Panickd

SirKnight wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 18:54:
It's actually nip it in the BUD.

Nip it!

Don't care. I like butt better. I declare the change official!

9. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 18:54 SirKnight

coldcut wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:59:
Panickd wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 15:53:
lol. GameMaker: Studio has Steam Achievements! WTF?
That's not so uncommon for developer apps There are achievement plugins / extensions for Visual Studio and Eclipse (that I know of). We developers want to have some fun during coding too

I just had a vision in my head of a Steam pop-up saying: "coldcut is now playing Visual Studio".

I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam. They might as well throw it all wide open now. Nip it all in the butt before the Windows Store opens when Win8 ships.

It's actually nip it in the BUD.

Nip it!

8. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 18:04 nin

I wonder if Valve will ever sell more than that one Indie Game movie on Steam. They might as well throw it all wide open now. Nip it all in the butt before the Windows Store opens when Win8 ships.

I hope they continue to push for more soundtrack releases.

7. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 17:30 Panickd

That's not so uncommon for developer apps There are achievement plugins / extensions for Visual Studio and Eclipse (that I know of). We developers want to have some fun during coding too

I just had a vision in my head of a Steam pop-up saying: "coldcut is now playing Visual Studio".

6. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 17:25 bhcompy

Achievement Unlocked:
You've voided main() 5000 times!

5. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 16:59 coldcut

4. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 16:48 bhcompy

Apps are for mobile devices. Progs are for computers.  

3. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 15:57 Minuit

I wonder if there's a "Get your game on Greenlight" achievement yet.

2. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 15:55 nin

Holy shit, you're right...

1. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 2, 2012, 15:53 Panickd

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo