Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Roberts Interview

GameSpot has a chat with Chris Roberts in advance of the game announcement we're all presuming will follow the recently discovered countdown on the Roberts Space Industries Website that's set to run out on October 10th. While the Wing Commander creator is still holding his cards pretty close to the vest, he discusses his lack of desire to make a mobile or social game, and how he has secured private funding so he can forgo working with publishing partners like Activision or Electronic Arts. He also doesn't discourage the presumption (supported by this teaser trailer) that this new project will be the type of space combat game he helped pioneer. "A couple years ago, I came to the point where I was playing stuff and I was feeling like the technology was getting to the point where I could do some stuff that I was interested in again. The level of immersion and realism that you can do [today] is significantly higher," Roberts said. "I want to get back to the roots of what I did in the old days with Wing Commander, which was, if you've got a really badass PC, this is going to show it off."

View
10. Re: Chris Roberts Interview Oct 2, 2012, 16:39 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:30:
It'd be awesome to see a new space sim made by CR, but without the actual TEAM that did the Wing Commanders, who knows how much of the feel he can recapture?

It'll be an interesting thing to watch, that's for sure. And I'm glad he's (apparently) managing to avoid having to work with the fucking publishers who would be death to a game of this kind. Here's hoping his private funders will allow him to build exactly the game he wants.

Creston

Yeah youre right. IIRC CR actually left Freelancer at the end of development because of problems with the publisher. So maybe if he doesnt have to care about some publishers bullshit, and he is there from the start to the end, it might actually be better than Freelancer.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 2, 12:29 Re: Chris Roberts Interview CJ_Parker
  2. Oct 2, 12:56 Re: Chris Roberts Interview peteham
  3. Oct 2, 13:12  Re: Chris Roberts Interview J
  12. Oct 2, 19:47   Re: More Big Picture Details HorrorScope
  4. Oct 2, 14:35 Re: Chris Roberts Interview Panickd
  5. Oct 2, 14:45 Re: Chris Roberts Interview NegaDeath
  6. Oct 2, 15:37 Re: Chris Roberts Interview wtf_man
  7. Oct 2, 15:50 Re: Chris Roberts Interview dj LiTh
  8. Oct 2, 16:23 Re: Chris Roberts Interview Muscular Beaver