Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Patched

The Guild Wars 2 Website has details on a new patch that's now live in Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel. The notes outline a bunch of bug fixes and class-specific balance changes, as well as a couple of changes to address OS X issues.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 13:28 Morgan19

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 05:38:
How did you make 8 characters with only 5 character slots? Maybe you have 2 accounts...
As others have pointed out, you can buy extra slots on an account. I didn't think it was that much of a secret, but maybe it is?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 12:17 Jivaro

Dades wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 07:01:
Morgan19 wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:47:
I am. I made 8 characters at launch (one for each class): my ranger main is around 50ish, with the next several closest near 20. I've found that if I get tired of doing stuff with my main a quick switch to an alt (and therefore a fairly big switch in playstyle, location, and level) can often help that feeling. I stick mostly to PvE but have jumped into a couple PvP and WvW matches to mix things up.

How did you make 8 characters with only 5 character slots? Maybe you have 2 accounts...

You can buy more character slots mr internet detective.

Yeah, I bought extra slots too. I wasn't going to, I thought that I would find a couple of classes I didn't actually like playing. For example I am usually terrible with melee stealth classes and very rarely enjoy the play style, as such I was certain I wouldn't roll a thief in this game. Turns out they are pretty fun. I am still terrible at it, but I am having fun with it anyway. I didn't like mesmers in the original GW game, so I didn't think I would want one of those either. Turns out they are a blast as well.

I haven't seen anything else in the in-game store that I want, but they got the extra money out of me for the character slots.

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 12:05 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 02:27:
Ok that jumping puzzle in the spooky NW corner of Fields of Fuin was evil. A few people ahead of me took some swan dives of doom. I apparently channeled my childhood super mario skills and survived.

Still fun though

I like it when like ten people try a jumping puzzle at once, and it gets REALLY crowded on small little outcroppings, and you can't see where the hell you're standing.

It's especially fun when five of them are rangers, and their fucking BEARS are also standing on that ledge!!

Creston

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 07:01 Dades

I am. I made 8 characters at launch (one for each class): my ranger main is around 50ish, with the next several closest near 20. I've found that if I get tired of doing stuff with my main a quick switch to an alt (and therefore a fairly big switch in playstyle, location, and level) can often help that feeling. I stick mostly to PvE but have jumped into a couple PvP and WvW matches to mix things up.

You can buy more character slots mr internet detective.

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 05:38 Dirwulf

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 03:39 OpticNerve

I'm thinking that the faint pinging sound people might be hearing is when your stamina bar fills up a section to let you know that you can dodge. It's quite handy since you don't have to pay attention to the stamina bar.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 03:45.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 02:27 NegaDeath

Ok that jumping puzzle in the spooky NW corner of Fields of Fuin was evil. A few people ahead of me took some swan dives of doom. I apparently channeled my childhood super mario skills and survived.

Still fun though

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 00:27 Cutter

Yeah there are still several zones - particularly at the mid and higher levels I haven't seen yet and still haven't touched WvW so there's still plenty to do.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 3, 2012, 00:24 JohnBirshire

This is the first MMO that came out in the last 5 years that I played for longer than 3 weeks.  

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 23:54 jacobvandy

I think I burnt myself out on this game... I logged way, way, way too many hours in the first couple weeks, so when TL2 and BL2 came around I was more than ready to move on. I hop on now and then to check on my market dealings, though, still pulling in a few gold per day on average.  

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 21:40 wtf_man

Wolfox wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 12:07:
Axis wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:28:
How many of you Bluesies are still actively engaged with GW2?

I'm still playing regularly, and I have no plans to stop in the foreseeable future.

This.

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 20:59 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:31:
It might be the event ping, yeah.

Creston
Its a click sound. I found it out myself, after I opened my eyes. Its when the char puts the staff on the back.
Thank for the other help guys.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 19:23 Fion

Well there are a lot of great games out atm, so it makes sense that less folks are on GW2 right now. Between MoP (meh.. imho), Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, FTL and with XCom: EU next week, it's a busy time for all gamers. But I think that explains why some numbers have dropped on like Xfire.

That said, I still log in about every day for an hour or two, more on weekends. Servers are still packed, some are full on primetime, so the game isn't dying by any means. My guild has thinned a fair bit but I think that again is do more to the recent fantastic game releases (IMHO best September in years!) I think once things slow down I'll start seeing a lot of guildies online again.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 19:22 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:10:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:36:
I have a few questions. I sometimes get some weird ping sound or whatever when I am exploring. Its not the sound for finding a waypoint or something. Its different. I would really like to know what that means.
Also I have no clue how to discover the "undiscovered vistas". When I go there, I don't see anything of interest, nor will it "discover".
Also, are there no visible pants available? My female char looks like a prostitute.

Yeah, dunno what that sound is. A vista is a specific point - generally up above you somwhere - that you have to figure out how to get to. It has a little glowing flag type icon you use when you get to it and that's how a vista is discovered. And pants are visible, it's just whatever your current chest piece is that's covering it.

Could also been a boon ping. There's a sound that goes off when you get one. Took me a while to realize what the sound was on mine. Was running with a signet that gave a boon every 10 seconds, so I kept hearing very quiet sounds and wondering what the hell they were. Turned out it was the boons going up every 10 seconds.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 17:31 Creston

It might be the event ping, yeah.

Creston

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 17:16 NegaDeath

He could be referring to the sound the game makes when you come across a point of interest on the map, or when he wanders close to an active event.  

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 17:10 Cutter

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:36:
I have a few questions. I sometimes get some weird ping sound or whatever when I am exploring. Its not the sound for finding a waypoint or something. Its different. I would really like to know what that means.
Also I have no clue how to discover the "undiscovered vistas". When I go there, I don't see anything of interest, nor will it "discover".
Also, are there no visible pants available? My female char looks like a prostitute.

Yeah, dunno what that sound is. A vista is a specific point - generally up above you somwhere - that you have to figure out how to get to. It has a little glowing flag type icon you use when you get to it and that's how a vista is discovered. And pants are visible, it's just whatever your current chest piece is that's covering it.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 17:01 Creston

Elementalists are mega mega squishy. So yeah, they die very frequently. Like I said, the game is pretty hard. It's very easy to pull another 1 or 2 mobs into battle with you, and as an elementalist, you can really only handle like 2 or 3 blows. So you'll die in seconds.

You need to be very strategic about which mobs you take out at first. The aggro circle isn't very large when you walk through it, but it's larger when you damage another mob of the same type. Don't be afraid to kite for a bit if you need to, and if you have any kind of cripple effect or something, that'd help. I'd give you more specific advice, but I never played an elementalist. (well, I played one through the tutorial mission, then got overwhelmed by the fact she had four different attunements which meant 20 different abilities with a single weapon...)

As for the ping sound, do you mean almost like the sound of a cash register? It's probably the XP bar filling up because you discovered something. Check the bar at the bottom and see if it's climbing. I'm pretty sure that makes a ping'ish sound.

The undiscovered Vistas are typically particular points you need to jump to (it's almost always a small jumping "puzzle" of some kind.) If you look around, you should see an area with a little floating "map" on it. (It's in a ray of light and it's floating above the ground.) When you stand on it, you can hit F to view the vista, which gives you a really cool camera fly-by of the area (perfect for screenshots!!) and you get xp for discovering it.

I find discovering the vistas to be one of the coolest, and also one of the most frustrating things in GW2. (though frustrating mostly in a good sense, as they can be very tricky to figure out, but when you DO finally find it, it's a cool feeling.)

As for pants... er, my Charr has pants, but the elementalist girls apparently love hardly wearing any clothes. If you play a human one, she basically wears a (VERY) mini-skirt and a small garter belt. And that's it.

SLUTS!!!

Creston

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 16:36 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:26:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 15:25:
I just started it. Only played a few hours and am only level 6.
The game feels very nice (except for the movement/camera input lag) and is MUCH more challenging than WoW so far.
I dont get many things yet, for example I seem to be leveling very slow, or be unable to kill mobs higher than 2 levels than me, or generally have not clue what some random sounds mean or other stuff that I get, but its still a lot of fun. I havent explored a lot at all. The game feels very new still.

The game is pretty dang hard. Anything more than 2 levels above you is almost a death sentence, so if you're suddenly seeing stuff that's 2 or 3 levels above you, you probably wandered too far into a slightly higher part of the zone. Try going the other way, and it should scale up fairly gradually. Note that the beginner zones are for levels 1-13(or even 17), so it's definitely possible to walk too far and suddenly be in suicide country.

Even though it's a bit boring to play, it wouldn't hurt to start with a warrior until you get the hang of playing. Especially in the beginner zones, Warriors are just pure death machines, and they can tank 3 or 4 mobs without too many issues. A thief otoh will die if 2 deer happen to gang up on her...

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Creston

I'm playing an elementalist. Its not too hard. I noticed myself that I went the wrong way and suddenly saw mobs much higher than I was. Still I'm dying much more often than I ever did in WoW at low levels.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 16:26 Creston

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 15:25:
I just started it. Only played a few hours and am only level 6.
The game feels very nice (except for the movement/camera input lag) and is MUCH more challenging than WoW so far.
I dont get many things yet, for example I seem to be leveling very slow, or be unable to kill mobs higher than 2 levels than me, or generally have not clue what some random sounds mean or other stuff that I get, but its still a lot of fun. I havent explored a lot at all. The game feels very new still.

The game is pretty dang hard. Anything more than 2 levels above you is almost a death sentence, so if you're suddenly seeing stuff that's 2 or 3 levels above you, you probably wandered too far into a slightly higher part of the zone. Try going the other way, and it should scale up fairly gradually. Note that the beginner zones are for levels 1-13(or even 17), so it's definitely possible to walk too far and suddenly be in suicide country.

Even though it's a bit boring to play, it wouldn't hurt to start with a warrior until you get the hang of playing. Especially in the beginner zones, Warriors are just pure death machines, and they can tank 3 or 4 mobs without too many issues. A thief otoh will die if 2 deer happen to gang up on her...

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Creston

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo