Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More Project Eternity Goals

The Kickstarter for Project Eternity announces further goals for Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming role-playing game. With the fundraiser passing the 50,000 backer plateau, they reveal a new backer reward: "a new dungeon experience" for the game called The Endless Paths of Od Nua. They also reveal a new $2.4 million stretch goal as well as new add-on aspects of the campaign, including the ability for backers to separately add an early access beta code or a digital strategy guide to their reward package.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:39 Mr. Tact

Yes, it does.

I did point out I would do it electronically if the financial institutions would stop trying to make money off it and gave me a reasonable application to do it with. Most of my IRL friends use electronic banking to pay their bills (it's been a topic of conversation before).

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:36 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:34:
Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:47:
But on the flipside, it's now the year 2012, and everyone in the US still writes fucking checks. CHECKS! Holland stopped using checks literally twenty years ago. You can't even GET them anymore.
Everyone? I'd call that a significant exaggeration -- checks are fading pretty quickly. Many retail locations won't take them. I use them for getting cash, as I said, and for paying my bills through the mail but nothing else.

Alright, let me rephrase. Everyone here in Oklahoma still uses them. Very few stores refuse them, and I'm sorry, but paying bills with checks does still count as *using* checks. :p

Creston

32. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:34 Mr. Tact

But on the flipside, it's now the year 2012, and everyone in the US still writes fucking checks. CHECKS! Holland stopped using checks literally twenty years ago. You can't even GET them anymore.
Everyone? I'd call that a significant exaggeration -- checks are fading pretty quickly. Many retail locations won't take them. I use them for getting cash, as I said, and for paying my bills through the mail but nothing else.

I could switch to paying bills electronically from my credit union, but I have yet to see an on-line billing system I thought was reasonable which you didn't have to pay extra to get access to. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money to make paying bills easier for them. Plus being someone who has worked in the computer industry since 1988, I don't really trust computers much.

31. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:33 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:29:
Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:07:

I had a chip card in Holland in the late 90s, and I never really saw much purpose to the damn thing. It was on the same card as my debit card, so instead of having to swipe my card and type a four digit pin and pay out of my account, I had to preload the chip, then I'd hold it near the chip "reader", and after a few seconds it would deduct the chip amount.

But why won't your CC's work? Are they still a Master or Visa card? The chip wouldn't do anything in a normal CC reader.
Chip cards(I use interac as an example this is our banking card system) are different than what you're talking about. That's RFID. Chipped cards here are a physical chip on the card that uses 2-factor authentication instead of one factor(just the PIN). The reason why it can can fail is because of the way chipped cards are encoded as "chip in first or refused authentication" doesn't always happen but it's more of a hassle. At pumps in the US they're invalid because you can't give them a zipcode, they require a postal code that's tied to the chip and strip. Again doesn't always happen, but it's more common than not now.

Ahhh, I see. My mistake. I agree, I wish the US would go to a more secure CC system. Even having a PIN code with a CC would be a huge improvement, but nope. Let's just have the type of card where if you get hold of someone else's card, you can just buy whatever the fuck you want until they block it.

Retarded system.

Creston

30. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:07:

I had a chip card in Holland in the late 90s, and I never really saw much purpose to the damn thing. It was on the same card as my debit card, so instead of having to swipe my card and type a four digit pin and pay out of my account, I had to preload the chip, then I'd hold it near the chip "reader", and after a few seconds it would deduct the chip amount.

But why won't your CC's work? Are they still a Master or Visa card? The chip wouldn't do anything in a normal CC reader.
Chip cards(I use interac as an example this is our banking card system) are different than what you're talking about. That's RFID. Chipped cards here are a physical chip on the card that uses 2-factor authentication instead of one factor(just the PIN). The reason why it can can fail is because of the way chipped cards are encoded as "chip in first or refused authentication" doesn't always happen but it's more of a hassle. At pumps in the US they're invalid because you can't give them a zipcode, they require a postal code that's tied to the chip and strip. Again doesn't always happen, but it's more common than not now.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:13 eRe4s3r

Well if it makes you happy, the Giro Card (previously EC Card, never will get used to that ,p) can be used Europe wide. In theory... since 2006.

That means all bank cards given out in Europe are EC/Giro/Meastro payment compatible... so at-least that should no longer be an issue. (it does make the other visa/etc. credit cards even less useful though)

28. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:09 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:06:
Yeah, what you describe is basically why I don't even bother getting a credit card... If you think THAT is bad, and Munich is a pretty big tourist center, wait till you visit the outskirts of Berlin. You will find EC/Giro everywhere even the postal service ringing at your door has a EC terminal, but NOBODY will take your credit card. Not even the ATM's. Because most ATM's are only for EC/Giro.

I think in Germany you really gotta realize.. it is dominated by EC Card or cash, when I say "i don't need anything else" you can believe this. Since around 2006 the spread for EC acceptance is NEARLY total. But if you try paying with any non-german card... you are stranded. Always ask what they accept before ordering. Is the only thing I can tell you. It's something even Germans learn the hard-way ;p

It is certainly not a good system for tourists though

No, it certainly wasn't!

I imagine after the Euro in 2002 it became a lot easier, since most European countries (if not all of them) use Giro/EC or whatever local equivalent, and since you're paying in Euros, it's likely you can use those everywhere, even in other European countries.

Don't worry, though, I still love Germany.
(God, I miss German food.)

Creston

27. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:07 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:53:
Yet now the US is wallowing in CC misery. The majority canadian of my credit cards now fail to work in the US because they're chipped, and require extra verification to work properly at things like gas pumps. I've even had them fail at regular terminals in stores. This has led me to get a US bank account and credit card so I can avoid the entire mess until you guys catch up. The US is about 5 years behind the times on things like chip technology. Though the rest of the world is 10 years behind the times on paying with your phone, you could do that in parts of asia back in early 2000ish.

What kind of benefit does that offer me, the customer? First of all, I have money on that card, so if I lose it or it gets stolen, I'm out of that money. I also have to go by special ATMs to "preload" the chip. How is this in any way, shape or form more convenient OR more secure than just swiping a card, typing a pin, and having it come out of my bank account?

Fuck chip payments. The only one it benefits is the store owner because he gets his money quicker. (and the chip company...)

Creston

26. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 17:06 eRe4s3r

Yeah, what you describe is basically why I don't even bother getting a credit card... If you think THAT is bad, and Munich is a pretty big tourist center, wait till you visit the outskirts of Berlin. You will find EC/Giro everywhere even the postal service ringing at your door has a EC terminal, but NOBODY will take your credit card. Not even the ATM's. Because most ATM's are only for EC/Giro.

I think in Germany you really gotta realize.. it is dominated by EC Card or cash, when I say "i don't need anything else" you can believe this. Since around 2006 the spread for EC acceptance is NEARLY total. But if you try paying with any non-german card... you are stranded. Always ask what they accept before ordering. Is the only thing I can tell you. It's something even Germans learn the hard-way ;p

It is certainly not a good system for tourists though. Mainstream attractions or routes usually have mastercard/Visa terminals though... just not guaranteed. And yeah, there is a minimum value. Even for ec cards. Usually about 10€

25. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:57 Ceribaen

Dades wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 15:52:
I don't think they don't even have chip cards in the US, last time I was there they were still accepting swipe credit cards. You might as well be talking Greek to them.

It's quite strange how much difference there is between Europe and the US where payments are concerned. When I first went to the US (Breckenridge) on vacation (1993, IIRC), I was absolutely amazed at the fact you could just pay anywhere with a credit card. We got lunch in a bar on top of the mountain, and you could just pay with your credit card. Europe at the time was absolutely wallowing in CC misery—you could barely pay anywhere with them.

Like I said, weird.

And for our German friend, I gotta say that your country was by far the most CC unfriendly one I've experienced. I worked in Berlin and Munchen for awhile, and went out to dinner with a colleague. At the end I put down a Mastercard, and the waitress shakes her head. Okay. So I put down a Visa. Again, she shakes her head. Okay... Check? No. So what DO you accept then?

Cash only.

This was in 1999. I'm not talking like 1972 or something. 19 fucking 99, and this restaurant was CASH ONLY. I wound up walking around for an hour trying to find an ATM that would take my Dutch bank card and would give me money so I could go pay the fucking CASH ONLY restaurant...

Creston

I've been in areas of Germany including Munich/Munchen in the last year or so -- they are more CC friendly nowadays compared to your account, though the supermarkets still don't take it. Most restaurants would accept with some hassle (and minimum purchase of 10 euro). Just make sure it's a chip card or you're out of luck. I usually made sure to have some cash with me for things like the ferry across the Bodensee and a nightcap at the hotel bar plus assorted touristy things if I had a chance on a weekend (since needed to stay the Saturday anyway).

24. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:53 Mashiki Amiketo

Yet now the US is wallowing in CC misery. The majority canadian of my credit cards now fail to work in the US because they're chipped, and require extra verification to work properly at things like gas pumps. I've even had them fail at regular terminals in stores. This has led me to get a US bank account and credit card so I can avoid the entire mess until you guys catch up. The US is about 5 years behind the times on things like chip technology. Though the rest of the world is 10 years behind the times on paying with your phone, you could do that in parts of asia back in early 2000ish.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:47 Creston

Dades wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 15:52:
I don't think they don't even have chip cards in the US, last time I was there they were still accepting swipe credit cards. You might as well be talking Greek to them.

It's quite strange how much difference there is between Europe and the US where payments are concerned. When I first went to the US (Breckenridge) on vacation (1993, IIRC), I was absolutely amazed at the fact you could just pay anywhere with a credit card. We got lunch in a bar on top of the mountain, and you could just pay with your credit card. Europe at the time was absolutely wallowing in CC misery—you could barely pay anywhere with them.

Like I said, weird.

And for our German friend, I gotta say that your country was by far the most CC unfriendly one I've experienced. I worked in Berlin and Munchen for awhile, and went out to dinner with a colleague. At the end I put down a Mastercard, and the waitress shakes her head. Okay. So I put down a Visa. Again, she shakes her head. Okay... Check? No. So what DO you accept then?

Cash only.

This was in 1999. I'm not talking like 1972 or something. 19 fucking 99, and this restaurant was CASH ONLY. I wound up walking around for an hour trying to find an ATM that would take my Dutch bank card and would give me money so I could go pay the fucking CASH ONLY restaurant...

Creston

22. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Music that they have in the latest update is ... really nice.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:39 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:15:
You'd think with every major project starting their own paypal sub-payment system outside of Amazon Payments Kickstarter would figure out that maybe.. just maybe.. just offering Amazon Payments is not the best choice.

I am really happy this gets so much funding though. Let's see whether it really was only Publishers to blame with Obsidian story clichés, or if they really can do things uniquely and fresh

Yeah, this is a pretty big litmus test for them. If they deliver another mega-buggy and clunky experience, they'll have noone to hide behind anymore...

Although to be fair, I don't think that will happen. They're building a fairly simple engine (compared to say what they used in FO:NV) and the whole project is completely under their control, so I am hopeful that it will turn out fine and nicely polished.

Creston

20. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:36 Creston

I so want to fund this, but I'm already on my limit for games, and they come out with their kickstarter right as Dishonored and Xcom are coming out!

Obsidian, WHY MUST YOU TEASE ME SO?! I AM NOT MADE OF MONEY!

Edit : Oh well, fuck it. I'll work some overtime. I'm in for 42.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 16:51.

19. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:22 eRe4s3r

Something like Speedpass doesn't exist here at all....  

18. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 16:01 Mr. Tact

Oh! I use Mobil's Speedpass for buying gasoline. Not quite sure where that would fit into the puzzle. I view it as automated credit card swiping, but you can link it to debit cards -- don't know if you can link bank accounts...  

17. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 15:52 Dades

16. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 15:36 Mr. Tact

So, it's not truly required. If I lived in Germany was willing to carry sufficient cash for all my transactions (which essentially what I do here in the US) I could have my pay deposited to a bank account of my choice without tax penalty and not have a Giro card.

I understand most people wouldn't want to do that. Most people in the US wouldn't want to be without their ATM cards, but I've never had one.

15. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 15:23 eRe4s3r

Heh that is actually a good question. It is neither required to be electronic nor that it goes specifically into a giro bank account. I guess it's just how the system evolved here. Most employees specifically ask for a giro account to pay you because it has some legal/tax related issues if money is not transferred directly to electronic banking (Especially if your employee evades taxes or cheats social security systems). I can assure you that if you live here, you would definitely want your (usual) income to be credited on the giro account, taxes and most legally required thingsare deducted "up-front" anyway. Then there is stuff like health insurance (which is mandatory) or rent. Ie, the giro account is for the monthly in/out. It is not a savings account. Savings should be transferred to proper, specifically made for it, accounts. It get's even better in that most legally relevant payments TO YOU also only go to a giro account. I think it is some legal requirement banks have here, but it also is dangerous because you *CAN* lose a giro account too, and that is usually a very bad thing.

Off hand I have no idea why exactly that is how it is. Nor what a credit union is or does. I can only tell you how I handle it, and expenses and incomes go into 1 account, whatever is left over (ie, after running costs + a safety balance) goes into my savings. Savings are fixed and have higher interest, but giro has low interest (in exchange for no fees). Also paying with EC/Giro is "fee less" that means, a store has to ALWAYS accept you paying with EC/Giro without a fee.

In a sense, this must be a pretty damn weird system from an US perspective.

You have to think of EC/Giro system like a electronic cash system where your cash is in a safe and with permitted deductions money gets taken out of, you can pay with the money that's in, and money you get goes in. It is a central banking system for your expenses (What you do besides giro accounts.. is up to you).

I am surely missing something fundamental about the system here. But it seems like a good system... I probably explained it pretty stupidly though...

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo