Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Somebody in the forums joked about this yesterday, but it may indeed be true that the secret ingredient in my coffee has been coffee grinder, as when I glued the broken pieces of our broken grinder back together, there was a small portion of plastic missing, and the most logical conclusion is that it was ground up and mixed with the coffee along the way. Here's hoping the filter caught most of it. Undeterred by this revelation, I managed to get the grinder fixed, and it no longer requires something pressing down on it to get it to work, so the break must have been the cause of that. Oddly, the hardest part of the job was cleaning it all up, as the oil in the grounds created a sort of coffee cement in various areas that required an amazing amount of work to clean out.

R.I.P.: Babylon 5 Star Michael O'Hare Dies.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Orange Gravity 2.
Stories: Seth MacFarlane to host 85th Academy Awards.
Oregon farmer eaten by his pigs. Hannibal Lecter still at large.
Texas Driver Accused of Crashing $1M Bugatti for Insurance.
Science: Former Apple, NASA engineers wed to brew up insanely-great coffee.
The $1 billion mission to reach the Earth's mantle. Thanks Slashdot.
Scientists ask for legal safeguards to keep their work out of court.
Media: The Taiwanese Animation of Justin Bieber Vomiting Is Amazing. Thanks nin.
Hexaflexagons. Thanks Max-Ray.
Level 99 Skater.
Drifting With Female Senior Citizen.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 21:52 Mr. Tact

The most common way people deal with it is religion. It's actually one of the few positive things about religion.

My view: Life is what you make it, enjoy it however you can, while you can.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 20:01 Prez

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:24:
Fuck. Just got the news a good friend of mine just died. Waiting on the details. Gee, getting older sure is super, huh?

So sorry.

It's amazing to me that 100% of mentally stable adults aren't suffering from manic depression. The older you get the more you get to experience all of life's little pleasures like watching aged parents wither and die, losing lifelong friends to illness, and getting further buried under all of life's pressures while systematically being robbed of the pleasures you once enjoyed due to father time's ravaging effects on your own mind, body, and health. Clearly there is a way of dealing with it as all of the world's adult population are NOT depressed ; I sure wish someone would fill me in on it though.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: B5 Stars are going out Oct 3, 2012, 04:49 edaciousx

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:23:
Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:37:
edaciousx wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:14:
Zathras also passed away from the show... Very depressing. I wish they would bring this show back in some form as well as re-release it in Bluray :/.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Choate

Some fans sent JMS an email asking about that a year or two ago. He basically said that there was a lot of difficulty transferring it to a high definition format and that they would need to remaster a lot of stuff that is no longer possible due to the CG models and effects props being lost. His contract is also so shitty that any money made would go to them before he would ever see a penny (he was a big time victim of Hollywood Accounting).

I had no idea how successful Babylon 5 was BTW, apparently the franchise has grossed over 1 billion dollars for WB.

What's even worse is that WB pretended to have more interest in B5 stories, so JMS created the Forgotten Tales, and it sold very, very well. And WB was like "hahaha, yeah, no, we're actually not interested."

Fuckers.

As for Blu-Ray, that'll likely never happen. At most you'd get a transfer straight from the DVD, since like you said, most of the old CGI footage is gone. It'd be AMAZING if they ever did something with this like they're doing with Star Trek.

Unlike TNG season 1, I would happily fork over 80 bucks a season of a remastered and redone Bab 5, with modern day CGI. (though with the amount of CGI that show had, it'd likely cost far far more than 80 bucks a season...)

Creston

You know what's the worst part? B5 was actually recorded in a format very very close to 16:9.... so all they would need to do is remake all the CGI. I mean, it shouldn't be that hard if they go a route like say use steam's movie maker or something you know? Make some B5 models and just have them fly around in a game engine... should be real cheap.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 01:14 Rigs

Sorry for your loss, Cutter.

In the last 10 years or so I've lost 8 family members including my sister (2006) and my father (2009). I just lost one of my best friends a month and a half ago, though I have to say I'm glad she passed relatively quickly because she was suffering so much. I sit here and often think how no one ever prepares you for losing basically every one you care about as you get older. Time doesn't heal all wounds, I don't care what they say...

Can't believe Sinclair's gone... Entil'zha veni...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 00:25 Cutter

Thanks fellas. I'll admit it didn't really hit me at first, but it's sure sinking in now. Funny how easily all those memories of the good times can come flooding back. Definitely bittersweet to be sure.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 22:19 Ant

Fuck. Just got the news a good friend of mine just died. Waiting on the details. Gee, getting older sure is super, huh?
Being old sucks. Yeah, life sucks.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 22:08  Blue 

That sucks, Cutter. Sorry to hear that.  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 19:56 Jivaro

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 19:45:

Sorry to hear, Cutter.

Sorry to hear that Cutter. :/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 19:45 nin

Sorry to hear, Cutter.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 19:31 BobBob

Hey the grinder comment was from me. I made the news. Please no autographs and keep the flashes off.  

25. Re: 1 billion mission to earth's mantle Oct 2, 2012, 19:22 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:16:
Make sure to bring a bunch of highly strung scientists along, preferably one who smokes and talks to a voice recorder all the time, as well as a token chick who is in no way, shape or form hot and who will refuse to open the door when said cigarette smoking dude is dying.

Oh, and bring multiple detonators for your nukes. Your mission will be golden.

(Fuck you, guys. The Core was awesome!)

It was the French guy who got trapped and who the "hot chick" refused to open the door and rescue. The smoking dude got pinned under a nuke, and couldn't be freed in time.

And as awesome(ly bad) as the movie was, it's so unbelievably hard to overlook some of the silliness. Like - how were they going to detonate the nukes in the first place? They couldn't detach any of the pods because the release was "outside" the ship. There's no way to eject the nukes. So effectively, the only way to set them off was inside the ship. Brilliant planning!

Still a fun movie to watch, if only to make fun of. I enjoy Hackers for the same reason.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 18:43 The Half Elf

My condolences Cutter.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 17:24 Creston

The Pyro wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:57:
We live for the One. We die for the One. En'Tilza.

Entil'zha. But your point was well made, sir.

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 17:24 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: B5 Stars are going out Oct 2, 2012, 17:23 Creston

edaciousx wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:14:
Zathras also passed away from the show... Very depressing. I wish they would bring this show back in some form as well as re-release it in Bluray :/.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Choate

Some fans sent JMS an email asking about that a year or two ago. He basically said that there was a lot of difficulty transferring it to a high definition format and that they would need to remaster a lot of stuff that is no longer possible due to the CG models and effects props being lost. His contract is also so shitty that any money made would go to them before he would ever see a penny (he was a big time victim of Hollywood Accounting).

I had no idea how successful Babylon 5 was BTW, apparently the franchise has grossed over 1 billion dollars for WB.

What's even worse is that WB pretended to have more interest in B5 stories, so JMS created the Forgotten Tales, and it sold very, very well. And WB was like "hahaha, yeah, no, we're actually not interested."

Fuckers.

As for Blu-Ray, that'll likely never happen. At most you'd get a transfer straight from the DVD, since like you said, most of the old CGI footage is gone. It'd be AMAZING if they ever did something with this like they're doing with Star Trek.

Unlike TNG season 1, I would happily fork over 80 bucks a season of a remastered and redone Bab 5, with modern day CGI. (though with the amount of CGI that show had, it'd likely cost far far more than 80 bucks a season...)

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 17:17 Creston

Rest in peace, Jeffrey Sinclair.

Christ, how many of the B5 crew is that now? Richard Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, now O'Hare...

Edit : Shit, I forgot Kenickie!

Edit 2 :
Zathras also passed away from the show.

I never even heard about that... Being on B5 was apparently not conducive to a long life...

Creston

19. 1 billion mission to earth's mantle Oct 2, 2012, 17:16 Creston

Make sure to bring a bunch of highly strung scientists along, preferably one who smokes and talks to a voice recorder all the time, as well as a token chick who is in no way, shape or form hot and who will refuse to open the door when said cigarette smoking dude is dying.

Oh, and bring multiple detonators for your nukes. Your mission will be golden.

(Fuck you, guys. The Core was awesome!)

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 16:57 The Pyro

We live for the One. We die for the One. En'Tilza.

17. Re: B5 Stars are going out Oct 2, 2012, 16:22 edaciousx

Yup, I read all about that. They made a crap load of profit off the DVD Sales... WB is stupid, nothing more to say about it than that. Albeit... the way the story was written, it's a bit hard to continue the franchise imo. But still, there's so much content that could be made!  

16. Re: B5 Stars are going out Oct 2, 2012, 15:05 Mr. Tact

And yet they tried to cancel it after the third season (IIRC).

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo