Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?

Kotaku has some screenshots claimed to be from a marketing survey that suggest that the upcoming shooter based on the X-COM series may now be a third-person shooter after being announced as an FPS. According to their unverified source, these shots came along with questions about the appeal of such a game as a $30 download for Xbox 360 and PS3, with no mention of a PC edition, suggesting a downgrade from a AAA game to a downloadable console title. They received the following no comment from 2K: "We have not made any new announcements regarding the XCOM title currently in development at 2K Marin, and it is our policy not to comment on rumors or speculation."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 13:52 Riker

Everything I saw from the previous version made me angry. What a loathsome piece of shit that was shaping up to be. This new version looks slightly less offensive, but I doubt I'd care if it turns out to be console-only.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown, on the other hand, looks like it'll be one of the best games of the year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 13:04 Bet

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:13:
Hrm, I had mostly forgotten about this game. I actually was under the impression it had come out and bombed utterly. I was waiting to see it on a Steam sale for 5 bucks or something.

What a shame they are going the consolized crap route, the screenshots from way back when looked more interesting than whatever this new version is going to be.

You could get it with all the other X-Com games (including Interceptor) for $5 a few times already, IIRC. I installed it, and promptly uninstalled it once I remembered the gameplay. The horrible, horrible...horrible Enforcer gameplay. I actually beat the game when it was new. I must have been bored out of my mind.

Resurrect X-Com Alliance, please. That was a promising game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5iWvhY_MU

14. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 12:58 Prez

Wow - what a mess. I haven't seen a development cycle this chaotic in a while. One could hope for the whole "art from adversity" thing to miraculously result in a great game coming out of this but right now it looks likely that this will be a disaster. I suspect it will be cancelled outright before long.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 12:33 Fletch

It looked like a shit game anyway, but the 3rd-person just makes it worse. Design concessions for consoles have ruined PC gaming. Gotta have that fucking cover system, I guess.  

12. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 12:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I had mostly forgotten about this game. I actually was under the impression it had come out and bombed utterly. I was waiting to see it on a Steam sale for 5 bucks or something.

What a shame they are going the consolized crap route, the screenshots from way back when looked more interesting than whatever this new version is going to be.

11. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 12:11 NewMaxx

RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:30:
Yeah probably just as well. No one remembers Enforcer as it is.

http://www.ign.com/games/x-com-enforcer/pc-15224

10. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 12:07 dj LiTh

Downgrade it to the gameboy for all i care. Cant wait till October 9th  

9. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:43 m00t

The shooter is a XINO.
XCOM In Name Only. ho ho, I'm here all week.

8. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:16 NegaDeath

Kind of surprising that the Xcom game announced first is coming out last, doesn't bode well for the final product. Still interested though.  

7. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:07 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:55:
I thought the whole Retro-50s look was very stylish, and the idea that you only have a certain amount of time in a mission before enemy reinforcements become overwhelming was at least an interesting take on a rather stale genre. (and I say that even though I hate timed missions.)

But with the continuing delays and now this, I think things are looking pretty bleak for this game.

Creston

I loved the retro 50ish look. Not sure what it had to do with XCOM, but it looked fantastic. The idea of a 50s alien invasion was an awesome one.

Not sure what the deal is with the game, either, but the studio made Bioshock 2 fairly interesting, so I'm hoping they have some skills when not following a pre-defined blueprint. Guess we'll see.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:06 Verno

This game has certainly had an interesting development cycle, I think I've found it more entertaining than a few actual games I've played.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

5. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:04 Slashman

Uhhhhhhh.... Yousaidwhat  

4. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 10:55 Creston

I thought the whole Retro-50s look was very stylish, and the idea that you only have a certain amount of time in a mission before enemy reinforcements become overwhelming was at least an interesting take on a rather stale genre. (and I say that even though I hate timed missions.)

But with the continuing delays and now this, I think things are looking pretty bleak for this game.

Creston

3. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 10:41 Bopper

The game looks interesting but they shouldn't stick the X-Com name in front of it. If it was a turn-based third-person shooter or semi-turn based game it would be something different.  
- Boppa

2. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 10:30 RailWizard

Yeah probably just as well. No one remembers Enforcer as it is.  

1. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 10:29 theyarecomingforyou

It doesn't matter whether it's a FPS or TPS, it still looks terrible. It seems like a complete misuse of the franchise, unlike XCOM: Enemy Unknown which looks excellent.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo