Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 3 Mentioned

Gearbox Software lead writer Anthony Burch mentioned they are already toying with ideas for Borderlands 3 on The Totally Rad Show. This is noted on MP1st, where this relieves their concern that Gearbox "will ever let the fans of Borderlands get to see a third installment of this franchise," since Borderlands 2 shipped almost a full two weeks ago. Thanks VG247.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

18. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 12:18 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:02:
That whole "uses X ammo per shot" modifier is on fucking everything! Shotguns, SMGs, sniper rifles, etc. So many good gun combos ruined by that thing.

I really hate that too. I feel like I am sitting there wathcing the reload animation for 90% of the fight and run around trying not to die until the stupid shotgun reloads, then take a shot at the enemy or maybe 2 and then run around time again waiting for the reload. Just frustrating.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 12:14 PHJF

Very very very much agreed. Shit, I'll take them just going back to BL1's loot system. The loot system in BL2 just fucking sucks. What really aggravates me is the retarded "uses 3 ammo per shot." It makes shotguns basically fucking worthless, because you'll be out of ammo in a minute if you go shotgunning.

They also kill most enemies in one shot. I had a white shotgun that I used for ~5 lvls that obliterated everything. The problem is, in Borderlands 1 most ammo crates were stocked with whatever ammo you were short on, while in BL2 it is completely random. Why the fuck would I need a crate filled with assault rifle ammo when I haven't fired an assault rifle in 20 levels?

The loot really is an absolute fucking joke, though. I just finished the main boss and got... an orange grenade. The only other weapon I improved was my purple fire SMG, which went up two lvls.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 12:02 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:46:
Very very very much agreed. Shit, I'll take them just going back to BL1's loot system. The loot system in BL2 just fucking sucks. What really aggravates me is the retarded "uses 3 ammo per shot." It makes shotguns basically fucking worthless, because you'll be out of ammo in a minute if you go shotgunning.

Yeah you nailed that one man, it drives me insane. That whole "uses X ammo per shot" modifier is on fucking everything! Shotguns, SMGs, sniper rifles, etc. So many good gun combos ruined by that thing.

Eh, turret guy is basically the same guy, but the zerker and siren are pretty different, I feel? Maya's ability is far more offensively minded than Lilith's was, and the zerger is a lot more fun to play than Brick was. I just don't understand why the zerg ability is on such an excruciatingly long cooldown. You can get it down eventually and extend it, but you're talking like 40 levels of skillpoints to make it so.

I don't know, I see a lot of overlap from the first game comparing the Siren/Zerker skill trees, it's not just about their main ability. For next game let's have some brand new classes to make things fresh again.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:55 ochentay4

I would prefer first to polish this game till it blinds me as there are still bugs and performance sucks. I get FPS 30-60fps fluctuations all the time at max quality. It drives me nuts so I set 30fps max which sucks. I still cant get why this game FPS fluctuates so much since its UE3 and its visuals are crap, really low res textures, really low poly count and my pc kicks ass every damn game in town.

Also, instead of talking about Borderlands 3, compensate existing customers giving really good DLC, for Preorder and Season Pass suckers.

I find this game more and more boring as I lvl up... sigh. I almost regret buying this game.

14. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:49 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:37:
Typically the guy I play with is a sniper and I'm almost anything else, so games are easy. The problem is we both started solo with snipers, and he was level 11 before I started so we just created new characters. He went Commando, I went Gunzerker, so we should be using the same weapons. Making things worse, at this point we both enjoy sniper rifles and I spend most of my time with pistols that have high damage, high zoom and decent sized magazines, so we're overlapping a bit and not maximizing our characters. I'll give him preference for snipers and shotguns, he doesn't use pistols so I grab them, and no one uses assault rifles or machine guns (whatever that one class is.)

I think they kind of forced everyone to start using sniper rifles more by making everything so fucking retardedly deadly. Other than the gunzerker, nobody can afford to be in close range with enemies, because you'll just get brutally murdered by even 3 mooks at the same level you are.

The only real damage protection you have is to fight at range which means: Sniper rifles.

I'm actively forcing myself not to snipe as the zerger, because otherwise I'd really just be playing the same character like three times in a row...

I wonder if the game and its new systems got extensively playtested. If so, how did they not see that everyone just started sniping?

Creston

13. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:19:
My ideas for improvement:

- 87,000 unique and interesting guns instead of 87 bazillion combinations of the same 30 guns.

They could fix most of the issues if they just had bosses drop guaranteed "good" loot. You beat this boss here, he'll drop a blue of guaranteed "excellent" level (or whatever they have in their internal database to rank stuff.)

You move on in the story, and beat this boss there, he drops a guaranteed purple of excellent level. Etc etc.

While on the one hand it's cool that they've made bosses a lot more difficult, otoh it can really make you just be fucking STUCK if you don't happen to have a gun that can take that guy on.

- Loot drops on the ground instead of flying out everywhere, including under the ground textures.

This doesn't really bother me. I've always kinda liked the whole fountain thing, and you CAN pick up stuff below the ground textures, you just have to mouse around for awhile. If they'd just make it so it couldn't go below the texture, that'd be better, but that's been part of the stupid unreal engine for so long that I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

- Instanced loot OR tweaked drop rates. There is not enough good loot in MP games to go around if you have some bad luck. After Diablo 3 this should not be a thing anymore.

What really surprises me is that they say that if you play multi you get better loot, but I find the opposite is actually true. My solo character is finding far far FAR better stuff than my MP characters ever do. I'm beginning to think that they just mean that because you get more enemies in coop, you have a CHANCE for better loot because you're hitting the same loot table more often. From what I've seen so far, the coop loot tables aren't any better than solo. (if in fact they aren't actively worse.)

- 4 brand new classes instead of 3 remixes and 1 new one (maybe 2 when Mecromancer comes out)

Eh, turret guy is basically the same guy, but the zerker and siren are pretty different, I feel? Maya's ability is far more offensively minded than Lilith's was, and the zerger is a lot more fun to play than Brick was. I just don't understand why the zerg ability is on such an excruciatingly long cooldown. You can get it down eventually and extend it, but you're talking like 40 levels of skillpoints to make it so.

I'd have just made the gunzerger be able to wield two guns at all times, at the cost of double the reload speed for both of them, and then have the zerg ability provide health regen and infinite ammo or something.

But Zer0 is fantastic. He feels very similar to the Shadow in ME3 MP, and it's just an awesome class. My melee is good enough now to murder most things with an execution, so it's a lot of fun to dart around the battlefield and strategically execute the hardest guys to leave all the mooks by themselves.

5 levels away from taking the "recloak and keep killing" power!

- Divorce from the old storyline/characters completely, fresh start. I like BL2 but it really feels like BL 1.5 in many ways.

It surprises me that this bugs so many people. I really enjoy seeing the old characters back as major NPCs. I just wish they'd get rid of the stupid "Vault is not a Vault but a major Boss" gimmick.

- Multiple class abilities, one per tree at least with sub abilities therein. Some argue this is already in the game but I don't buy it.

That'd be nice, but I doubt we'll see it. Apparently Gearbox feels that multiple active skills is too difficult for the fans, or something...

Creston

12. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:26:
DeadlyAccurate wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:14:
Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:51:
I'm playing with a buddy and we've given up on loot sharing. It's too time consuming to stop and see if the new shotgun he found is better than the one I'm using. It may be, but even if so it's marginal enough that it doesn't warrant stopping and calculating.

One thing that helps us is for each person to choose a primary weapon they always get first dibs on.

I play often with one buddy, and I always just let him pick first. Then I'll just grab whatever he doesn't want. The funny thing is that he's the same I am, so we'll both just stand there looking at a nice blue drop going "You get it, no you get it."

Creston

We kind of do the same thing.

Typically the guy I play with is a sniper and I'm almost anything else, so games are easy. The problem is we both started solo with snipers, and he was level 11 before I started so we just created new characters. He went Commando, I went Gunzerker, so we should be using the same weapons. Making things worse, at this point we both enjoy sniper rifles and I spend most of my time with pistols that have high damage, high zoom and decent sized magazines, so we're overlapping a bit and not maximizing our characters. I'll give him preference for snipers and shotguns, he doesn't use pistols so I grab them, and no one uses assault rifles or machine guns (whatever that one class is.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:27 Panickd

I'm playing with a buddy and we've given up on loot sharing. It's too time consuming to stop and see if the new shotgun he found is better than the one I'm using. It may be, but even if so it's marginal enough that it doesn't warrant stopping and calculating.

One thing that helps us is for each person to choose a primary weapon they always get first dibs on.

That only works until someone wanders across a weapon that is so crazy over-powered they refuse to give it up, dibs or not. High powered sniper rifles always lead to arguments in any group I've ever been in and arguments of, "you're a berserker why do you need a sniper rifle?" will fall on deaf ears. I have also noticed that you never know what's going on when you play co-op because everyone is just plowing forward looking for loot and not paying even the remotest of attention to the story which inevitably leads to, "wait, what the fuck are we supposed to be doing?" which leads to me yelling into my headset, "if you dumbasses would stop and listen once in awhile you'd know what the fuck is going on!" Good times!

10. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:26 Creston

I play often with one buddy, and I always just let him pick first. Then I'll just grab whatever he doesn't want. The funny thing is that he's the same I am, so we'll both just stand there looking at a nice blue drop going "You get it, no you get it."

Creston

9. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:14 DeadlyAccurate

8. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 11:00 Verno

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:44:
I'd like to see some sidekicking.. unless it already has it. Bring the gun damage down/up to the damage range of your buddy. All my friends are about 10 - 15 levels higher than me at this point.

Yeah that's a good idea. It's fine if you're a high level, you can basically just join a low level game to help out. You barely get any exp but whatever. If you're the lowbie though you are screwed, the level balance is basically +/- 2 levels. When it goes to 3 or higher you just start to get whooped.

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:51 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:44 Frijoles

I'd like to see some sidekicking.. unless it already has it. Bring the gun damage down/up to the damage range of your buddy. All my friends are about 10 - 15 levels higher than me at this point.  

5. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:38 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:23:
Often times its better to just sit there playing slots which is silly.
Yeah, I play co-op with a couple of other players and after several missions we go and blow most of our money on the slots. You sometimes get a decent weapon but more importantly you get a bucketload of Eridium (maxed everything out by level 29) and some extra customisation options. It also means that if you die you don't waste as much money.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:36 theyarecomingforyou

They need to make loot per-player (ala Diablo 3) rather than competitive - I'm actually surprised they didn't do this for BL2. And they need to secure it from hacking, preferably by implementing it via Steamworks to allow weapon trading outside of the game.

Oh, and I'd like to see some more variety in classes. I'm not impressed with the skill trees in BL2. Still, a sequel sounds like an obvious move.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:23 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:19:
Just like D3, helps to play with someone who you know. We would talk out loud anything that was better than trash to see if someone wanted it.

I always play with people I know and most of us share loot but often times you are sitting around using suboptimal gear for the level. They could fix this by tweaking the drop rates, letting vendors have decent gear or instancing loot to give more opportunities. Often times its better to just sit there playing slots which is silly.

I like BL2 but it's not without its faults and has areas that could use improvement.

2. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:19 xXBatmanXx

Yes please.

- Instanced loot OR tweaked drop rates. There is not enough good loot in MP games to go around if you have some bad luck. After Diablo 3 this should not be a thing anymore.

Just like D3, helps to play with someone who you know. We would talk out loud anything that was better than trash to see if someone wanted it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 10:19 Verno

My ideas for improvement:

- 87,000 unique and interesting guns instead of 87 bazillion combinations of the same 30 guns.

- Loot drops on the ground instead of flying out everywhere, including under the ground textures.

- 4 brand new classes instead of 3 remixes and 1 new one (maybe 2 when Mecromancer comes out)

- Divorce from the old storyline/characters completely, fresh start. I like BL2 but it really feels like BL 1.5 in many ways.

- Multiple class abilities, one per tree at least with sub abilities therein. Some argue this is already in the game but I don't buy it.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo