Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  5. Total War: Master Collection
  6. Arma II: Combined Operations
  7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  8. Saints Row The Third
  9. FTL: Fater Than Light
  10. Borderlands 2 Season Pass

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2012, 11:45 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 16:19:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:02:
It'd make sense if the system worked this way, but I've been getting the same loot for like the last 7 or 8 levels now, and I've done several major story missions in the meantime. The price to roll slots has been stuck at $369 for all that time.

Does it get higher if you move on in the story? (I'm about to head to Opportunity to find Jack's body-double.)

Creston

I think the price of the slot machine is a percentage of the money you started that game session with. It was in the $300 range once when I started the game session with $30k, then when I played a few slots at the end of that session it was still the same price even though I now had over $50k. The next day I didn't play the slots when I started. I hit the slots when I was back turning in quests before quitting for the night and the slot price was in the $500 range although I had $80k in cash.

Sounds about right.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 19:03 Dev

moved to more appropriate thread

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 21:10.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 18:46 Dev

Dev wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:42:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:06:
Moxxi's slots have basically stopped giving me anything worthwhile. That's a seriously good place to upgrade when you're in your teens or early 20s, but after that it seems to become kinda pointless. Every weapon it drops is way inferior to what I've got. I only use slots to get more Eridium now.
If you are ahead of the curve on loot, that could explain why its all crap.

For instance, slots drop according to what level you are in mission progress. So if highest mission was for level 19 and you've done some other things and now are at level 24, then the slots will only give you level 19 stuff, which might be crap if you got some good level 19 loot. I think other stuff in the game may be similar. For instance, the vending machines I think give level stuff according to the level range they are placed at (not counting sanctuary machines)

It'd make sense if the system worked this way, but I've been getting the same loot for like the last 7 or 8 levels now, and I've done several major story missions in the meantime. The price to roll slots has been stuck at $369 for all that time.

Does it get higher if you move on in the story? (I'm about to head to Opportunity to find Jack's body-double.)

Creston

One way you can tell about what level its thinking you need loot for is the level of loot inside chests. Some chests do mission level loot (like if you are doing optional level 16 mission, a chest in that mission might drop level 15 loot). Other chests drop what it thinks is your story level loot. So if your story level was at 19, and you are at level 23, it will drop level 19 loot.

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 17:25 Creston

jimnms wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 16:19:

Creston

I think the price of the slot machine is a percentage of the money you started that game session with. It was in the $300 range once when I started the game session with $30k, then when I played a few slots at the end of that session it was still the same price even though I now had over $50k. The next day I didn't play the slots when I started. I hit the slots when I was back turning in quests before quitting for the night and the slot price was in the $500 range although I had $80k in cash.

I'm not sure that's it, to be honest. I've gone from 30K to 160K in cash while on the same story mission and it's charged me the same amount. I guess maybe the slots change every certain amount of story missions. (like every three or four or so.)

I'm catching up to the story with my assassin, so we'll see. I always do all the side quests first before I do the main story, otherwise I wind up with another "Oh, hai, we tok teh Sanctuari away from U lolZ!!!" scenario and suddenly I have like six missions I can't turn in (for awhile anyway.)

Man that really pissed me off when that happened. I was like NOOO!!!! MY XP!!!

Creston

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 16:19 jimnms

Creston

MeanJim on Steam

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 12:20 PHJF

Vending machines in sanctuary and Moxxi's slots are tied to main storyline mission progress. If you are at final boss battle, Moxxi's slots are LVL30.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 12:03 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:00:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:15:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:25:
The loot falling through the geometry bug is ridiculous, I've had to restart the game a few times due to a quest item being UNDER the ground and unreachable. Otherwise I've enjoyed BL2 for the most part.

Unreachable? I've had plenty of stuff fall through the ground, but if you stand right on top of it and mouse around a little, there's always a point where you can still pick it up? At least, that's how it's been for me. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Creston

I had one quest drop fly into a pillar in a building, and I spent about 5 minutes walking around it and trying my mouse in various spots before I lucked into one that could pick it up...

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it fucking SUCKS that it does that (no testing done ahoy!) but I've always been able to retrieve stuff.

Creston

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 12:02 Creston

Dev wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:42:
Moxxi's slots have basically stopped giving me anything worthwhile. That's a seriously good place to upgrade when you're in your teens or early 20s, but after that it seems to become kinda pointless. Every weapon it drops is way inferior to what I've got. I only use slots to get more Eridium now.

For instance, slots drop according to what level you are in mission progress. So if highest mission was for level 19 and you've done some other things and now are at level 24, then the slots will only give you level 19 stuff, which might be crap if you got some good level 19 loot. I think other stuff in the game may be similar. For instance, the vending machines I think give level stuff according to the level range they are placed at (not counting sanctuary machines)

Creston

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 12:00 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:15:
The loot falling through the geometry bug is ridiculous, I've had to restart the game a few times due to a quest item being UNDER the ground and unreachable. Otherwise I've enjoyed BL2 for the most part.

Unreachable? I've had plenty of stuff fall through the ground, but if you stand right on top of it and mouse around a little, there's always a point where you can still pick it up? At least, that's how it's been for me. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Creston

I had one quest drop fly into a pillar in a building, and I spent about 5 minutes walking around it and trying my mouse in various spots before I lucked into one that could pick it up...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 11:42 Dev

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 11:15 Creston

Creston

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 11:10 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:41:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:27:
I thought it actually also put in 1 per character. So I have 5 per character, not 5 for my account. Was bummed about that. Was hoping if I started anew character, that I would get 5 for that character to use as well.

Well think about it for a second, lol: You are not limited in how many characters you can create, so if it worked that way you would have INFINITE purple/pink loot that you can share freely amongst all of them. Don't like what you got out of the chest when you spent your first couple of keys on a new character? No problem! Just create a new one and try again! :p

The limiting factor on that is that you have to get each character to Sanctuary first, and that's still several hours of playtime. It's hard to really abuse.

Bhruic wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:54:
What's the point anyway? Half of the fun in a game like this is finding new "epic l00t", so getting a key off twitter that enables you to open a chest in the main hub and get some is pretty silly, imo. I'd much rather fight some (balanced) boss for it, or find a chest in an out-of-the-way location. Something that involves actually playing the game. Getting free stuff from keys is almost as bad as having an auction house.

True, I was more wanting a few extra keys to get my Siren some better loot, but since I posted that my Assassin found several pretty awesome weapons that I just transferred to her, so eh.

Creston

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 11:08 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:22:
Not sure where you read 'per character' since all golden keys are bound to the copy of the game, and each of those codes are redeemable once per Shift account (which is linked to your Steam account, I'm sure, to prevent multiple Shift accounts per copy of the game).

They basically made it seem (to me) that every character you made got one key. Both in the pre-order promotions, in interviews, and in game. When I got the in-game message about the golden key, I got a message that said "Every new character you make will have this key."

I guess they could have meant that "every character you make will have ACCESS to this key," but that's not really how it sounded...

Creston

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 11:06 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:00:
You can just use Cheat Engine to give yourself 255 keys if you really want them that badly. I tested it out with an alt, the chest drops are good but nothing spectacular. The problem is that the drop rates in the game are dog shit so people keep turning to the chest trying to make up gear deficiencies. It is not uncommon for someone to be use a decent weapon for 10 levels because they never find anything comparable. Most of the decent guns come from slots or quest rewards.

It doesn't help that killing most of the bosses results in the loot flying forth as if you just burst the worlds biggest pinata. I've seen an orange go into unreachable lava LOL. They still have not patched loot being underneath the world texture either.

I don't know, I like BL2 but there is a lot of stuff that grates on me just like the first game. At least this time its not related to the port itself I guess.

Yeah, I find I'm not really enjoying myself as much as with the first game, and a large part of that is that the loot is just shitty. Not just the drops, but the weapons themselves.

I find a sniper rifle with ~ 350ish damage, and I find it with Acid, Fire and Electricity, and it's basically the same gun. Then you find one without any elemental damage, and you've basically run the gamut. But for the next ten levels, you'll still keep finding that exact same gun, only this time it does 3 damage more, has one less shot in the clip, and 2 tenths of a second more reload time. And in their book that counts as a unique gun...

In BL 1, you'd find that gun, but with 2x Acid, or 4x Electricity, and it was genuinely a different weapon because of that.

As for drops, it's strange. My Siren keeps finding fuck-all in drops. Like literally every single chest I open, or every single boss I kill, all I get is green trash.

My Assassin, on the other hand, is dropping blues and even purples left and right in the exact same missions. He's even found two oranges already. So why the big difference?

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some kind of bug in the drop code, where if a character that has played multi and is now playing solo is getting drops as if still in multi but just with one player. And a solo-only character just gets drops as if playing solo.

I mean, it's literally night and day between the two characters, and the only difference I can tell is that my assassin has only ever been played solo.

I wanted some more keys to see if I can get a decent gun for my Siren, but eh, I'm just twinking stuff from my assassin to her.

Creston

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 10:11 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:32:
Talked to a couple people about the cheat thing for gold keys. I like that I have 5 keys, I can space out the weapons and share amongst my characters now easily for level progression - but more? Infinite? Why play the game? It is a loot based game. Giving yourself unlimited keys is like using an AH in Diablo 3. You remove the reason to play the game.... my .02

As I said already, the keys aren't even very worthwhile. Personally I play for drops so I don't bother with stuff like this on a main character but some people aren't going to replay or don't care. I'm just pointing out its an option for people who don't want to sit around waiting for Lord Randy to divvy out keys on Twitter.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 09:44 BobBob

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:33:
How do you fit a healthy lifestyle and relationship in there? Or were they abandoned long ago?

http://tinyurl.com/thedrisin

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 09:32 xXBatmanXx

You can just use Cheat Engine to give yourself 255 keys if you really want them that badly. I tested it out with an alt, the chest drops are good but nothing spectacular. The problem is that the drop rates in the game are dog shit so people keep turning to the chest trying to make up gear deficiencies. It is not uncommon for someone to be use a decent weapon for 10 levels because they never find anything comparable. Most of the decent guns come from slots or quest rewards.

It doesn't help that killing most of the bosses results in the loot flying forth as if you just burst the worlds biggest pinata. I've seen an orange go into unreachable lava LOL. They still have not patched loot being underneath the world texture either.

I don't know, I like BL2 but there is a lot of stuff that grates on me just like the first game. At least this time its not related to the port itself I guess.

Talked to a couple people about the cheat thing for gold keys. I like that I have 5 keys, I can space out the weapons and share amongst my characters now easily for level progression - but more? Infinite? Why play the game? It is a loot based game. Giving yourself unlimited keys is like using an AH in Diablo 3. You remove the reason to play the game.... my .02

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 09:25 RollinThundr

Looking far more forward to X-Com though. So much so that I may take Tuesday off.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 09:00 Verno

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 08:39 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 00:47:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 18:04:
Got 1 outta 4 this weekend. Missed the last by like 6 minutes...

Not only is my Golden Key not the "one per character" as they said it would, but apparently in order to get more, you have to both watch Twitter all day long, AND be ready to put that code in within 2 hours of it being posted?

WTF is this bullshit? Some kind of social media experiment?

Creston

It certainly not ideal, but I can see his (Pitchfords) point where basically said he can't please everyone (re:keys). But I do with they eventually wish they'd move to a way to earn keys in game (even if it's a very small amount)...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo