Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  5. Total War: Master Collection
  6. Arma II: Combined Operations
  7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  8. Saints Row The Third
  9. FTL: Fater Than Light
  10. Borderlands 2 Season Pass

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 07:57 SpectralMeat

Nighthawk wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 05:45:
can't wait for X-Com to roll down ... saturday?
It says Oct 9 on the Steam page, which is a Tuesday a week from tomorrow.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 05:45 Nighthawk

I pre-ordered X-COM when I saw that it was at 97% to the tier 3 and have been playing Civ5 all weekened, more than I care to admit.
Money well spent, and can't wait for X-Com to roll down ... saturday?

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:54 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 00:47:
Not only is my Golden Key not the "one per character" as they said it would, but apparently in order to get more, you have to both watch Twitter all day long, AND be ready to put that code in within 2 hours of it being posted?

WTF is this bullshit? Some kind of social media experiment?

Creston

What's the point anyway? Half of the fun in a game like this is finding new "epic l00t", so getting a key off twitter that enables you to open a chest in the main hub and get some is pretty silly, imo. I'd much rather fight some (balanced) boss for it, or find a chest in an out-of-the-way location. Something that involves actually playing the game. Getting free stuff from keys is almost as bad as having an auction house.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:41 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:27:
I thought it actually also put in 1 per character. So I have 5 per character, not 5 for my account. Was bummed about that. Was hoping if I started anew character, that I would get 5 for that character to use as well.

Well think about it for a second, lol: You are not limited in how many characters you can create, so if it worked that way you would have INFINITE purple/pink loot that you can share freely amongst all of them. Don't like what you got out of the chest when you spent your first couple of keys on a new character? No problem! Just create a new one and try again! :p

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:39 netnerd85

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:25:
netnerd85 wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:55:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:44:
How do you fit a healthy lifestyle and relationship in there? Or were they abandoned long ago?

Let's not point fingers...

If you play games with your partner you get gaming and sex. If you work out you get more years of life, which is more gaming in the long run!

I dont agree (on the last point). I have gone round and round with people on this before. No one knows when their time is up, maybe you FEEL better, but saying if you work out everyday you have more gaming int he long run - I don't think math would support that.

THe time it takes to go workout, workout, then get back, shower, etc etc etc. Time and money? You would play less games.
I work out at home 3 times a week. There is little point working out every day. Sure go for a walk but don't strain yourself. It takes 45-60 mins depending on what I do.

Shower... err, sure. You can combine the sex and the shower. BAM! two birds, one stone.

Of course no one knows when their timer will hit zero, but it will, but you shouldn't fuck your future self over by being greedy today. Why take a few years off the future for very little extra today?

I ate two cupcakes today. Should have just had the one, I ruined the whole thing by eating too much goodness

lol *tears*, WHY! I could have just waited a couple of hours...

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:27 xXBatmanXx

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:22:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 18:04:
Got 1 outta 4 this weekend. Missed the last by like 6 minutes...

Not only is my Golden Key not the "one per character" as they said it would, but apparently in order to get more, you have to both watch Twitter all day long, AND be ready to put that code in within 2 hours of it being posted?

Creston

Not sure where you read 'per character' since it's supposed to be one per Shift account, aka one per copy of the game because you link it to your Steam account. And as I stated earlier, they've been stress testing their validation servers this past week. First it was a limited number of redemptions per code so they get that big spike of people using it at the same time, then throughout this weekend they did the duration-limited codes at various times of day. In other words, it's like a beta test for those few people who are following closely. It's not like these are the only times you're going to be able to get golden keys... In actuality, they've not yet begun to do proper giveaways.

I thought it actually also put in 1 per character. So I have 5 per character, not 5 for my account. Was bummed about that. Was hoping if I started anew character, that I would get 5 for that character to use as well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:25 xXBatmanXx

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:55:
How do you fit a healthy lifestyle and relationship in there? Or were they abandoned long ago?

If you play games with your partner you get gaming and sex. If you work out you get more years of life, which is more gaming in the long run!

I dont agree (on the last point). I have gone round and round with people on this before. No one knows when their time is up, maybe you FEEL better, but saying if you work out everyday you have more gaming int he long run - I don't think math would support that.

THe time it takes to go workout, workout, then get back, shower, etc etc etc. Time and money? You would play less games.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 01:22 jacobvandy

Creston

Not sure where you read 'per character' since all golden keys are bound to the copy of the game, and each of those codes are redeemable once per Shift account (which is linked to your Steam account, I'm sure, to prevent multiple Shift accounts per copy of the game).

And as I stated earlier, they've been stress testing their validation servers this past week. First it was a limited number of redemptions per code so they get that big spike of people using it at the same time, then throughout this weekend they did the duration-limited codes at various times of day. In other words, it's like a beta test for those relatively few people who are following closely.

These are not the only times you're going to be able to get golden keys; in actuality, they've not yet begun to do proper giveaways. Any that have been handed out so far are basically bonus rewards for helping this testing process, so that the system actually works when they go full scale...

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 01:27.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 00:49 Shok

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:33:
Played the Torchlight 1 demo and that was a yawn fest. What's different about II?

Torchlight 2 is like TL1 on steroids. The loot system is better, levels are bigger and varied, and the game overall is more polished. It did take me a while to get into it though since it didn't really get its hooks in me until I played a character to level 20 or so, stashed some gear in the shared stash, and then started a different class. I have only played on veteran difficulty. I went from an embermage that was dying left and right to a kickass engineer that got to level 20 in half the time it took me to get the mage there.

But little did I know the augmented loot would hook me. There are some weapons that augment with a certain number of mob kills. I got a hammer for my engy that augmented after 10 champion kills. So I had to run around with it for a few hours just to see what the augmented stats turned out to be. Unfortunately, by the time I finally got the 10 kills there was a better weapon. But now I can put this augmented weapon into my shared stash for a new character to wipe the floor with and not have to get the 10 kills.

I'm surprised how much I have gotten into TL2. I played TL1 maybe 4-5 hours max. I'm up to about 12+ hours on TL2 and I've barely got through level 20...

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 00:47 Creston

Creston

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 23:34 theAntiELVIS

Just how fat is light?  

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 23:09 Prez

Slashman wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 22:55:
So now for the important question Prez: Did you preorder Xcom as well?? Sneaky

Ummm... well... hey look! You got your Civ 5 bonus!

Seriously though, I love the original so much it has remained on my top 3 most favorite games of all time list pretty much since the early '90's. I am worried that this "re-imagining" will leave me cold - there are a lot of design choices that I'm just not sure about. With Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 occupying 100% of my time (jeez so much gaming awesomeness!) I haven't even gotten around to the demo. So no, no preorder yet. I may end up waiting for some reviews before I buy it, just to make sure I won't be hugely disappointed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 23:01 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 22:25:
Seriously though, what do I have to gain by lying about it?
Nothing, just that when I see bullshit, I usually try to call people on it. With 40 hours at work, I find it believable. There were weeks in my WoW raiding hay days which were in that range -- give or take a few hours. (ie.. 40 hours of work, 80 hours of WoW in a single week)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 22:55 Slashman

So now for the important question Prez: Did you preorder Xcom as well?? Sneaky  

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 22:25 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 21:52:
Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 18:33:
Between Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 I have racked up 120 hours of play time in less than a week. That's with working 10 hours a night for 4 of those days. Who needs sleep? I've got some serious gaming to do!
Ok, either you are gaming at work or I call bullshit -- since 120 + 40 = 160 hours of 168 in a week. I don't believe you went 7 days with only 8 hours of sleep. And that's ignoring time to travel to work, eat, dress, shower and bathroom trips.

Guilty... Torchlight 2 scales down nicely on my laptop at work. I'm sort of a firefighter in that I'm really only there to respond to trouble calls in the middle of the night. While I'm usually very busy the gaming gods must have smiled down on me because it was unusually quiet - I played about 2 to 3 hours a night last week. But I really have only been getting about 3 hours of sleep a day, so yeah, I'm tired. The numbers are on my Steam profile for anyone who really cares to check to make sure I'm not full of it. Seriously though, what do I have to gain by lying about it?

I work a crazy schedule where I work 8 days straight (10 or 12 hours a night) then I'm off for 6 days. My wife and I don't really see much of each other when I'm on shift work but we spend most of that 6 days off together. My daughter is a heavy gamer too so we are always spending time together. When a week like this past one comes around (2 huge releases close together that I want to dive into) I kind of give her forewarning. She is pretty understanding since it only happens once in a blue moon any more.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2012, 22:39.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 21:52 Mr. Tact

Between Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 I have racked up 120 hours of play time in less than a week. That's with working 10 hours a night for 4 of those days. Who needs sleep? I've got some serious gaming to do!
Ok, either you are gaming at work or I call bullshit -- since 120 + 40 = 160 hours of 168 in a week. I don't believe you went 7 days with only 8 hours of sleep. And that's ignoring time to travel to work, eat, dress, shower and bathroom trips.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 19:55 netnerd85

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 19:47 The Half Elf

FTL is a good game, but it it just too rushed and difficult an experience for my tastes. Glad to see it doing well nonetheless.

Prez it's not like you don't have enough OTHER games to play until it's either patched for FTL 22 comes out

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 19:44 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 19:33 netnerd85

Played the Torchlight 1 demo and that was a yawn fest. What's different about II?

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo