Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 1, 2012, 12:41 Bodolza

It's not corporate lobbying. It's individuals expressing their right to free speech. Why do you hate the constitution?

"Corporations are people, my friend" -Mitt

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 Mordecai Walfish

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:27:
It would be if we'd stop making government bigger, end corporate lobbying and cut spending arm over foot.

Oh heavens NO! That would probably mean reducing our measly military budget wouldn't it? Well that's not going to happen anytime soon! The military industrial complex has the most effective & embedded "lobbyists" that money can buy.

10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 1, 2012, 09:27 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 09:03:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 18:24:
Yea, unfortunately my reaction to stuff like this, since we have gone down the path so far, is to just throw up my arms and say....well...what do you expect....

Indeed. I'd argue the deeper problem is within our society itself. The pursuit of monetary goals over all others has created an everyone for himself atmosphere and that now permeates every facet of society - politics, religion, social, etc. Hell even the arts are now one giant industry.

It's easy to blame the politicians but they are just playing the same game as everyone else on a grander stage. The American Dream is not sustainable.

It would be if we'd stop making government bigger, end corporate lobbying and cut spending arm over foot.

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 1, 2012, 09:03 Verno

Yea, unfortunately my reaction to stuff like this, since we have gone down the path so far, is to just throw up my arms and say....well...what do you expect....

Indeed. I'd argue the deeper problem is within our society itself. The pursuit of monetary goals over all others has created an everyone for himself atmosphere and that now permeates every facet of society - politics, religion, social, etc. Hell even the arts are now one giant industry.

It's easy to blame the politicians but they are just playing the same game as everyone else on a grander stage. The American Dream is not sustainable.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 1, 2012, 08:33 nin

Way too many people vote for a candidate simply because they are on the red team or the blue team. It doesn't matter who they are, what they stand for, or what bad (or even good) things they've done, as long as they are on the "right" team.

Or you live in a state like I do (OK) where, when you vote for the "team" you want, you vote means nothing due to the vast majority of the state voting for the other side.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 23:16 Narf2029

Voting is almost a waste in the US anyway. Way too many people vote for a candidate simply because they are on the red team or the blue team. It doesn't matter who they are, what they stand for, or what bad (or even good) things they've done, as long as they are on the "right" team. I doubt the overwhelming majority of voters even realize there are often more than two candidates for a given office.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 20:56 Cutter

That's precisely it. You can't blame greedy sociopaths for being greedy sociopaths. It's not like people don't have the means or power to change it. They're simply too apathetic to do so. I mean most people can't even get off their asses to even vote once every few years.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 18:24 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 18:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 17:03:
U.S. Broadband Expensive, Uncompetitive: ISPs Have Bribed Government to Make it That Way.

No different than insurance rates, house prices, bailouts, gas prices, etc etc etc....

That was my though too. We shouldn't be attacking it from just the ISP/Broadband angle. Those are just smaller problems endemic of a much larger problem that Congress and the President (current and past) are too inept, incompetent, or unconcerned to address (assuming that such price-fixing and arbitrary limitations on technological advancements aren't flat-out in the politicians' own self-serving interests, which they probably are).

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 18:08 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 17:03:
U.S. Broadband Expensive, Uncompetitive: ISPs Have Bribed Government to Make it That Way.

No different than insurance rates, house prices, bailouts, gas prices, etc etc etc....

That was my though too. We shouldn't be attacking it from just the ISP/Broadband angle. Those are just smaller problems endemic of a much larger problem that Congress and the President (current and past) are too inept, incompetent, or unconcerned to address (assuming that such price-fixing and arbitrary limitations on technological advancements aren't flat-out in the politicians' own self-serving interests, which they probably are).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 17:03 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 16:43 Smellfinger

Real choice doesn't exist. You either have government control or corporate control. If forced to choose, I'd opt for government subsidized internet because I like getting something for the taxes I pay. As corrupt and inefficient as government may be, it's still able to provide provide health care (Medicare) more cheaply and with less overhead than private industry. If that can be applied to broadband, I'm all for it.  

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 30, 2012, 14:57 LittleMe

Outstanding. Wow I can hardly believe I'm seeing this. People are starting to see that the duopoloy cartel is a scam that has fleeced the country? The duopoly is a 20th century disease that doesn't work for us now. Wow. I still think that if we had consumer choice in broadband, Net Neutrality would be unnecessary.

I like how in the video interview he specifically says he's not advocating 'community' (government controlled & operated) broadband.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo