Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security

A post on the Call of Duty Community Website outlines details on PC online security, matchmaking and servers in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Treyarch's upcoming military shooter sequel. Here's a handy summary of key points courtesy of One Of Swords, where there's also a discussion of some of the negative backlash this has inspired:

• All servers are dedicated servers, used for public matchmaking and league play.
  • There will be servers located around the globe.
  • You can’t rent a dedicated server; they’re just free for your use.
  • Anti-cheat is handled via VAC + Treyarch’s own proprietary tech working in tandem.
  • Treyarch has a “full-time dedicated anti-cheat team” to police the servers.
  • Server files will not be made available to the public. Treyarch runs them.
  • Mods will not be supported.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Oct 2, 2012, 01:02 RailWizard

Elessar wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:50:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 12:23:
Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 11:58:
El Pit wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 02:38:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 21:11:
spindoctor wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 13:00:
You can’t rent a dedicated server; they’re just free for your use.

This seems odd. Treyarch would rather pay for every single dedicated server in the world instead of just letting users rent them from GSPs? What could be the reason behind this?

So they can kill the servers when it's time for you to buy BO3.

My thoughts exactly. You want multiplayer after the release of the next CoD? Well, buy our new game because we're taking the servers for the old game offline.

Have we ever had a person here actively playing a game that got taken offline?
It's always several-years-old sports games and games no one purchased. If you take down what people do play they won't buy the next one, like a dog that's been kicked. For all of EAs crap, at least they do wait until no one plays a game.

Why the fuck are you always apologizing for every thing the game industry does? Do you fucking work for EA or something? Activision? WTF is your malfunction here fucknuts? You look around and like what you see? Are you really that fucking shallow and easy to please? If so, please DO fuck off and allow people with actual feelings to discuss this shit. FUCK OFF!
Could you be any more of a drama queen? Same for the people you're defending. Just because he doesn't by into the circle jerk on hating publishers because "WAHH they're gonna take down your servers to make you buy new versions". This rarely happens and if it ever has, it's barely relevant. Seems like you all just take pleasure in making shit up to get mad about.

Yes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Oct 1, 2012, 11:50 Elessar

This seems odd. Treyarch would rather pay for every single dedicated server in the world instead of just letting users rent them from GSPs? What could be the reason behind this?

My thoughts exactly. You want multiplayer after the release of the next CoD? Well, buy our new game because we're taking the servers for the old game offline.

It's always several-years-old sports games and games no one purchased. If you take down what people do play they won't buy the next one, like a dog that's been kicked. For all of EAs crap, at least they do wait until no one plays a game.

Why the fuck are you always apologizing for every thing the game industry does? Do you fucking work for EA or something? Activision? WTF is your malfunction here fucknuts? You look around and like what you see? Are you really that fucking shallow and easy to please? If so, please DO fuck off and allow people with actual feelings to discuss this shit. FUCK OFF!
Could you be any more of a drama queen? Same for the people you're defending. Just because he doesn't by into the circle jerk on hating publishers because "WAHH they're gonna take down your servers to make you buy new versions". This rarely happens and if it ever has, it's barely relevant. Seems like you all just take pleasure in making shit up to get mad about.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

21. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 23:59 RailWizard

ABVH wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 23:53:

umad retard ?

Not as mad as you making an account just to say that... Rolleyes2

20. removed Sep 30, 2012, 23:53 ABVH

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 1, 2012, 08:11.

19. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 12:39 RollinThundr

I see you've met our resident publisher shill.

18. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 12:23 RailWizard

17. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 11:58 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 07:45 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 20:38:
If a kid can go to a website and download an aimbot via Google, you would think they could stop that code prety easily...
Aa lot of bots don't mod the game but inject into directx or run like drivers or whatever.

15. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 06:25 spindoctor

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:35:
Simple, because of the precedent made by this and the effect it will have with other control hungry publishers.

Oh okay then. Continue to stay pissed off. It's a good state of mind to be in, especially with regards to an entertainment hobby like gaming.

They don't need to run every single server in the world to be able to shut it down at any time. They can always just tell GSPs to pull the servers, even those that are rented out. Put it in the licensing contract on release, give a month's notice to them and users and that's it. Running every server seems like a very expensive way to go about achieving that goal. Also worth pointing out that the COD5 master authentication server is still up, as are Black Ops servers, so it doesn't seem like they're in a hurry to kill off their old games.

I wonder if they actually believe that running the servers themselves will be an effective way to combat hacking, because it sure as hell won't be.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

14. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 02:38 El Pit

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 21:11 RailWizard

12. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 20:38 xXBatmanXx

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 14:32:
They keep taking away more and more and keep giving nothing in return. Now people can't even rent the servers. Fuck me, publishers only want more and more control.

And this game will be riddled with cheaters, even more than BO1 since I don't believe Activision would hire people to monitor each server at all. This means that without admins, which at least could kick and ban, now nobody will be watching cheaters. Anyone believing otherwise is the most naive person on earth, much like DICE said they would take care of cheaters on BF3.

Also, the announcement sounds as if there will not even be a server browser but instead we'll be connected to a server through matchmaking. Since BO1 was a buggy game from the start I can't wait to see people getting connected to servers halfway across the world.

Ah well, I stopped buying CoD with CoD4. Damn, this pisses me off.

Eactly all of this. I am done with Cod. Havent played for a while anyway. Got tired of all of the aimbots that no one does anything about. Shit. If a kid can go to a website and download an aimbot via Google, you would think they could stop that code prety easily....but they don't care.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 20:30 BobBob

Call of Duty 4 is still the best and final. We can run our own dedicated servers, moddable, etc. This sounds more like an MMO. Trash.  

10. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 19:58 The_Pink_Tiger

Possibly an attempt at planned obsolescence, like EA does with its sports franchises.

If the publisher control the servers, they can shut them down when Black Ops 3 comes out. If the consumers control the servers, people can keep playing the same game year after year.

Especially since there seems to be an increasingly growing awareness that the Call of Duty series *is* the same game year after year. Already people are comparing the various Call of Duty games to each other, and debating which ones are the most fun. There has to be some worry within Activision that they are starting to compete with themselves. Their increasingly rigid control of the market may be an attempt to "solve" the problem.

9. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 17:42 maddog

Does this mean that they removed training mode in which I could play against bots with my buddies?  

8. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 16:35 ASeven

spindoctor wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:29:

You really should ask yourself why news about a game in a series you haven't bought in 6 years pisses you off.

Simple, because of the precedent made by this and the effect it will have with other control hungry publishers.

7. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 16:29 spindoctor

ChopperDan wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 13:27:
With the cheaters running so rampant in the other CoD's I think it's a good idea. If they have control over all of the servers, they can put a stop to all the assholes faster at least thats how i am viewing it.

Yea but can the Treyarch support team do a better job than admins who paid for the server? That's up for debate. Treyarch has to look out for hundreds or thousands of servers, a renting admin only has to look out for his own.

You really should ask yourself why news about a game in a series you haven't bought in 6 years pisses you off.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 15:13 Trevellian

DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 14:45:
No more 24/7 Nuke Town 32 player stat padding servers.

Medal of honor warfighter looks to be a better option as far as console shooty game ports to the PC goes.

Or there is the option of... you know... not buying any of them. So companies will stop making this garbage.

Personally I miss the Doom, Quake and Unreal Tournament style of deathmatch. Tired of military, pick the most OP weapon to start off with, and perks that negate shit style of gameplay.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

5. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 14:49 ASeven

DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 14:45:

Medal of honor warfighter looks to be a better option as far as console shooty game ports to the PC goes.

May be the only advantage but damn, if people start playing the same map a lot I could see some official servers do the same thing, go 24/7 on those maps.

4. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 29, 2012, 14:45 DangerDog

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo