Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Development Video

This trailer from Runic Games offers a wild look at three years of development of Torchlight II in a compelling abstract form based on activity in their source control system. Word is: "Every piece of art, sound, or code that helped shape the game is represented somewhere in the frenzy. The music is a recently unearthed archaeological selection from the long-distant schoolboy days of a certain Runic Games employee who shall remain nameless to spare he and his cohorts the embarrassment. We welcome your speculation and evidence in the comments." Thanks IncGamers.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 15:11 Dades

The lobby is not fine, it's suited more towards public play. Friends list functionality is extremely limited, there isn't even a basic "join game" button. This is not dumbing down, its pretty basic and expected functionality. Same with linking items, having to go into a trade interface just to show someone an item is not convenient or efficient. I think we're all fine with skill deficiencies but there are dozens across all 4 classes that range from imbalanced to useless and need adjustment. It is not nitpicking to point out that the game has issues. None of this stuff is a deal breaker and I love the game despite it but to say it doesn't need polish is a reach to me.

There is a lot of stuff they got right and I like to think they got the most important parts. I just wish we could see that kind of competency paired with Blizzards resources, it's no surprise why Diablo and Diablo 2 were so excellent when you combine that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 30, 2012, 13:50 HorrorScope

Dades wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 10:41:
Can't link items in chat.

You can't join friends games easily by simply selecting them in the interface.

There are a number of useless skills that need to be readjusted and rebalanced

1. Pretty small deal imo. But a nice to have, low on my quality of life though.

2. The lobby is perfectly fine. Needing more is going down the line of dumbing down. I do like what you are asking for better, but this is a no deal at all. I never had problems at all with these types of lobbies.

3. That is true. However if any other ARPG ever had it right to start with then I could hold something against TL2 on this one. The thing is no ARPG that I'm aware of has ever had all the skills balanced masterfully on release. So if that is polish, then we are still waiting on the first ARPG polish release.

I find your example pretty trivial to be honest with you. But ok.

You will always be able to nit-pick a game like that. Games would never release. I would like to have a slider to warn me on low health. I believe the default is too low and when you see red, you are pretty much a goner. At most I'd take .1 off and I wouldn't call the game unfinished etc.

19. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 13:18 Dades

Optional Nickname! wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 12:18:
Saying TL2 is not 'polished' is incorrect.

No, it's perfectly correct, see my examples. There is more to polish than simply not crashing and there are a number of bugs anyways. It is a great game but it definitely could have benefited from more polish and testing. I'm a big supporter of TL2 and for $20 it's an amazing deal so don't confuse this as me trying to slag the title, just acknowledging where it falls short. It's still a big accomplishment when you consider what they achieved with such a small team and that's why I agreed that the best of Diablo 3 and TL2 would make for a perfect game.

18. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 13:16 Acleacius

This is probably heresy but I like Torchlight 2 better than D1 or D2, never played D3 and probably never will.

The one thing that really bugs me about this Style (not just this game, all) is the crap loot drop systems.

The idea we can't get a visually matching set of armor all within a reasonable amount of time (5 or 10 levels, that could last another 5 or 10), irritates me to no end. It doesn't even have to have set bonuses, it would be great but not necessary. Oh stats for my actually class, well that would be just funking groovy. What could my mage possibly need or use a Clovenhoof chest piece with strength?

Shit drops, with shit stats. Putting pieces in a vendor that won't be there in 1 level, which is about 10 minutes. Could a level 5 get 1500gold before 10 minutes to get it?

Anyway, great game flawed only by the design limitations of a broken and unevolved genre. I could easily score it as a 88%.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 12:19 RailWizard

Optional Nickname! wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 12:18:
Saying TL2 is not 'polished' is incorrect. TL2 out-of-the-box is a completely playable and enjoyable experience.

No crashes, feature complete, a strong and forward-looking community, replayability, no DRM, easy to use and affordable.

We can bemoan the art direction, and the silly GUI goofs, but TL2 is a AAA title in everything but the price and grief associated with what we have been led to believe are AAA titles.

I agree with that too.

16. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 12:18 Optional Nickname!

Saying TL2 is not 'polished' is incorrect. TL2 out-of-the-box is a completely playable and enjoyable experience.

No crashes, feature complete, a strong and forward-looking community, replayability, no DRM, easy to use and affordable.

We can bemoan the art direction, and the silly GUI goofs, but TL2 is a AAA title in everything but the price and grief associated with what we have been led to believe are AAA titles.

15. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 11:15 RailWizard

Dades wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 00:58:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 00:14:
If blizzard had any brains they'd rehire these guys, remake D3 and give it away as an apology. That's about what it would take at this point....

It's funny because Torchlight is weak where Diablo is strong: production value, polish and some quality of life adjustments. Diablo is weak where Torchlight is strong: map randomization, overdone story, loot tables and drops.

It is really one of those cases where they just need to get over themselves and merge so they can go back to making the best possible game for the players. Blizzard is cashing in on the name but the game has no soul, Torchlight is the game that could but needs a bigger budget and more professional polish.

At least I love TL2, quite fun and I'll get a lot of replay value out of it. Can't say the same for Diablo 3.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all that. A merging is what I was suggesting.

14. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 10:41 Dades

ASeven wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 08:57:
I think TL2 is polished. I mean, I don't find any of the common issues of unpolished games, from bugs to bad UI and bad balance. What do you find about the game that is unpolished? Genuinely curious to find out since I do think the game is decently polished.

Can't link items in chat. You can't join friends games easily by simply selecting them in the interface. There are a number of useless skills that need to be readjusted and rebalanced, the Outlander alone has several. None of it is game breaking but given a slightly bigger team and budget they would have been able to implement and balance a bit more. Graphically there is a lot more they could have done with the game too but that goes back to budget.

I love TL2 but it's not perfect by a long shot. The things it does do well are things other games have failed at, so I think thats where I derive my enjoyment.

13. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 09:10 Turglar

If blizzard had any brains they'd rehire these guys, remake D3 and give it away as an apology. That's about what it would take at this point....

Yeah I can't wait to see their Diablo 3. It would probably look like someone chewed up a bunch of skittles and spit them out.

12. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 08:57 ASeven

It's funny because Torchlight is weak where Diablo is strong: production value, polish and some quality of life adjustments. Diablo is weak where Torchlight is strong: map randomization, overdone story, loot tables and drops.

I think TL2 is polished. I mean, I don't find any of the common issues of unpolished games, from bugs to bad UI and bad balance. What do you find about the game that is unpolished? Genuinely curious to find out since I do think the game is decently polished.

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 30, 2012, 04:05 HorrorScope

It's funny because Torchlight is weak where Diablo is strong: production value, polish and some quality of life adjustments.

That's odd, because I don't see these as weaknesses in TL2. The Pet selling and buying alone is the single greatest QOL for the arpg genre ever it seems. Game is smooth no matter how many soldiers are on the field. No crashes.

10. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 00:58 Dades

It is really one of those cases where they just need to get over themselves and merge so they can go back to making the best possible game for the players. Blizzard is cashing in on the name but the game has no soul, Torchlight is the game that could but needs a bigger budget and more professional polish.

At least I love TL2, quite fun and I'll get a lot of replay value out of it. Can't say the same for Diablo 3.

9. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 30, 2012, 00:14 RailWizard

8. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 23:49 MisterBenn

Nice video, I like that tune too.

I am loving Torchlight 2 so much, it's been years since I played a single game so fiercely, day after day. I've been playing Veteran - Hardcore and as a result I haven't seen all of the story yet. I just lost a L26 engineer, he got taken out by one of those sniper engineers from act 2, he was at 80% health but his shield was down and that was enough. Just as I was starting to feel safe behind a wall of gadgets!

I cannot believe this was a cut price game! The action is rock solid and there seems to be lots of different builds available, I have tried all sorts of stuff with varying levels of success. Also while the cartoony style is not my first choice, some of the environments are really good, my favourite was the dungeon in act 2 with the mana fissures that kept spewing out mana bursts.

In my mind this genuinely lives up to Diablo 2. I've been following Path of Exile keenly, particularly the Builds of the Week on YouTube - and while it will no doubt have its particular strengths, I wonder how it can compete with this game as an overall package.

Playing: Path of Exile.

7. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 23:37 Jivaro

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 22:24:
!!!

I knew it!!

6. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 22:24 Axis

!!!  

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 21:33 Mr. Tact

Mildly interesting. It would probably be very cool with a couple paragraphs explaining it.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 21:28 Jivaro

Dades wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 20:42:
I heard from my marketing buddy Praxis that this is way better than that Path of Exile game, can't wait to check it out! Allthumbsup

lol....I can hear Axis coming....

3. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 20:42 Dades

I heard from my marketing buddy Praxis that this is way better than that Path of Exile game, can't wait to check it out! Allthumbsup  

2. Re: Torchlight II Development Video Sep 29, 2012, 14:34 ASeven

Having a blast with this game, it's everything I wanted from a sequel to D2 and more.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo