Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Denies Nexon Rumor

There's a Valve interview on VG247 talking with Valve's Chet Faliszek about life at Valve, and what they are up to, including a discussion of VR tech. On a related note, GamesIndustry International has a response from Chet to yesterday's rumor that Nexon was bidding to acquire Valve, to which he responds: "There's no thoughts about that - everyone likes working there, we like working together we like the culture we have and the way it works because of all the parts of it. We're not changing any of that, we're pretty happy. We're doing OK." When asked if he could explicitly deny the rumor, he responded: "Yeah!"

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 29, 2012, 17:47 BicycleRepairMan

Valve has built one of the most valuable game companies ever. If it was owned by public shareholders, a sale for easy money would make sense. But, as it stands now, I cant see why they would want to sell. Gabe and co is settled for life and beyond, there is no incentive to sell and make aditional billions now. As long as it is owned by people with a stake in its (looking very bright) future, why sell? I cant really see what company would even have the money to buy it at this point... Maybe Apple, but no,no,no dont do that!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 29, 2012, 11:37 deqer

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 11:28:
If they were to run steam, would you be done with Steam in terms of new purchases to the Steam library? Or would you continue on no matter who is owning it?
There's no way that Nexon carries the same passion as Valve does. So, yes, I would be done with Steam if Nexon took over. I supported Valve even before Steam came out.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 29, 2012, 11:28 HorrorScope

So we all know what the consensus thinks of Nexon.

If they were to run steam, would you be done with Steam in terms of new purchases to the Steam library? Or would you continue on no matter who is owning it?

I see Valve running Steam as a success based on rep. I see Nexon running steam as dying, based on rep.

13. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 11:14 Jivaro

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 10:23:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 22:42:
I don't think Valve is "above" selling...I just think it is going to have to wait until Gabe and the other core people are bored with what they are doing and decide to go do something else.

Ah, like the co-founders of Bioware, for example? I don't place Gabe and crew in the same boat, specifically because they didn't sell out to an entity like EA. In fact, I'd say his quote about not selling out more or less directly says that is what he would avoid at all cost, boredom or not. Chances are he would liquidate the company after making sure his employees had replacement jobs. I do agree about everything else, though.

I just can't agree with the liquidate theory. I think Gabe and the rest of Valve would feel obligated to ensure that people could still continue to use Steam. Without it, a great many games stop working. Perhaps they sell it to a caretaker rather then someone who would continue to develop it though.

12. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 NewMaxx

I don't think Valve is "above" selling...I just think it is going to have to wait until Gabe and the other core people are bored with what they are doing and decide to go do something else.

Ah, like the co-founders of Bioware, for example? I don't place Gabe and crew in the same boat, specifically because they didn't sell out to an entity like EA. In fact, I'd say his quote about not selling out more or less directly says that is what he would avoid at all cost, boredom or not. Chances are he would liquidate the company after making sure his employees had replacement jobs. I do agree about everything else, though.

11. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 09:28 jdwohlever

I'm so glad to hear this.

I'll freely admit before I read Valve/Chet/Gabe's thoughts on this
I was sweating it. I have thousands of dollars invested in Steam
that if Valve changed hands it would affect me just as much as it
would affect a shareholder, maybe more so as I might have more
invested in Valve than your average shareholder.

After reading the article I have a different understanding of how Valve's management feels.

For those who still have doubts, I think what they might not be
understanding is that Valve/Steam is Gabe's baby/child/creation.
And no matter how much money a person offered for your child,
it would never be enough.
The only way I think Gabe would ever consider selling Valve is the
same way a parent would consider putting their child up for adoption
and that would be when the parent Gabe) felt that someone else could
do better for Valve than they can.
Since Valve is not only doing "fine" under Gabe & Co., but it's
flourishing and is the pioneer in gaming going purely digital.

Being both a parent and a mod developer who has been approached
before into selling my freeware work, I think I know exactly what
Chet/Gabe is trying to say and I have a much higher degree of respect
and admiration for Valve than I did before.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

10. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 08:57 El Pit

Daemonic Suit from some private equity/hedge fund/EA/Activision or any other systemic cancer tumor: Gabe, how much?
Gabe: No. Never.
DSuit: Look. Let me write a small number on this sheet of paper...
Gabe: An insult. NO.
DSuit: Let me add a 0.
Gabe: Not even for that. The health of my people is of absolute importance to...
DSuit adds another 0.
Gabe: ...of high importance to...
DSuit adds another 0.
Gabe: Very. It's VERY important to me...
DSuit writes another 0.
Gabe: Really important, and I know that you as their new master will make sure that they stay healthy.
DSuit grins

That's what I am afraid of. Gabe, don't do it.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

9. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 08:56 Smellfinger

Why would Gabe sell the second most profitable PC developer when he's already a billionaire?  

8. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 04:38 Dev

I don't think Valve is "above" selling...I just think it is going to have to wait until Gabe and the other core people are bored with what they are doing and decide to go do something else. At this point in the careers, and after this much success, they strike me as people who wouldn't want to work for a bunch of executives and stockholders.

Yes they are. It has nothing to do with boredom, it has to do with gabe's obsession with employee health.

And why the heck would you be bored in a company where every employee can do wtf ever interests and/or amuses them? Where gabe says "oh thats all?" when someone talks about how it will cost a million to buy a new lab setup for someone.

7. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 00:13 aesir05

it would be a sad day if someone bought them and the news read that nothing will change internally
(blizz / bioware)

6. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 29, 2012, 00:07 Creston

Yeah, it seemed like a weird match. Yet more games "journalism" (ie, completely fucking fabricated.)

Creston

5. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 23:32 killer_roach

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:00:
Why ruin a good thing, when everyone seems to be happy where they are.

As I've said before, the fact that Valve has so few employees may make it easier for Gabe to sell. After all, it wouldn't take all that much in order for everyone that works for him to be set for life...

...that being said, I don't think Valve's quite valuable enough yet to command that sort of a price tag (if I were to take a guess, it's possible Gabe could sell if somebody offered something in the $10-12 billion range, which is likely a bit rich unless you're assuming aggressive growth).

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 28, 2012, 23:22 HorrorScope

Oh no... not a public denial. Doom!  

3. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 23:00 Beelzebud

Why ruin a good thing, when everyone seems to be happy where they are.  

2. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 22:42 Jivaro

I don't think Valve is "above" selling...I just think it is going to have to wait until Gabe and the other core people are bored with what they are doing and decide to go do something else. At this point in the careers, and after this much success, they strike me as people who wouldn't want to work for a bunch of executives and stockholders.  

1. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 22:36 Cutter

Well duh.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo