Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Nexus 2 Kickstarter

This Kickstarter looks to raise capital for development of Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken, a sequel to the space-based real-time tactics game Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. The developer for the project is Most Wanted Entertainment, which was formed by members of Mithis Entertainment, the now-defunct developer of the original game, and their goal is $650K to create the sequel. Here's word:

The creators of the original game now have a unique proposal for you… to participate in the development, by pledging funds that will allow us to begin production of the next instalment in the Nexus story.

Our vision is clear: we have a full design for a truly worthy successor to the original game, one which will take forward the story of mankind’s expeditions to the hostile reaches of interstellar space, and bring it up to date with state-of-the-art visuals and even richer gameplay.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: removed Sep 30, 2012, 13:01  Blue 

Once is informative -- twice is spam.  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. removed Sep 29, 2012, 21:02 IdeaLcenter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 30, 2012, 13:01.

37. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 18:39 Krodge

I remember Nexus was originally supposed to be the 3rd game in the Imperium Galactica series before becoming a combat only game.

I kinda hated it at first, I couldnt figure out how the hell to play it. So I left it alone for a few years.

But when I eventually went back to it and got the hang of it I had a lot of fun.
Micromanaging a massive space battle between several captial ships, diverting power to different systems, customizing them for unique combat roles, scrambling fighters and sending out space marines to board disabled ships. Trying to take out incoming nukes.
It was pretty awesome.
It just needs a better interface, a tutorial, and a better plot.
I hope they get funding.

36. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 13:16 yuastnav

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 20:14:
[...]
Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were?
[...]

No I am not. Read again.

[...]
I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.
[...]

Why are you insulting him?
And no, it would be strange for me to assume that you are using sarcasm since I never said anything about what you are accusing me of.
I never directly addressed his complaints.

35. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 12:05 Stormsinger

Sugarman wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 05:51:
...were victorious on one fine evening of troll posting, because you good sir, being the pinnacle of all we have come to achieve as a species, expressed your disdain towards something many others enjoy.
And again, someone doesn't seem to realize that different people like different games, and THAT IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU.

I found Nexus to be pretty meh...even after spending several hours playing it. I wanted to like it, because strategic and tactical space games are one of my favorite genres. But it never once felt well-made. It felt like a newbie's game, with a clunky and hard to interpret interface.

That does not make me a troll...nor do you see me attacking those with a different view of the game. I -do- speak out against those who seem to take personal offense at the idea that someone else might not like a game that they enjoyed.

Get over it. Different people have different opinions, that's why we have horse races.

34. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 11:33 Stanly Manly

Someone smokes a lot of pot...  

33. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 06:11 Sugarman

Nexus is simply an amazing game to those who can grasp what it's all about. Sure there is always room for improvement, but that applies to almost anything. Our overactive albeit attention degraded amphetamine loaded current generation will obviously point that out. Why do you think more people currently are overreactive, aggressive, couldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks, jersey-shore-ish retards? Grab a dose of any teenagers adderall or dexedrine and you'll find out very quickly why an over-abundance of certain brain chemicals turns you into a non-caring asshole.  

32. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 05:51 Sugarman

I barely browsed through the rants here, and anyone who regularly reads bluesnews already knows the responders to any post here on a normal basis are the pickiest, most critical, crying individuals the tubes can muster. Hands down, Nexus was one of the most memorable, fun, interesting to control "once you took the 5 minutes to learn", of any game of it's type. Yes, it will appeal more to anyone leaning more towards spaceship games with an interest in actual tactical battles and user control over raw pew-pew. The storyline was good, nothing phenomenal but still very good because it was unique, unlike every other game out there now that is basically a cookie-cutter clone of something else. If you're impatient and on adderall like most of the new gamers of the current era, you may not like it or have the patience to appreciate it since you're norepinepherine and dopamine levels are so high it would take a truckload of angry badgers chewing at what was left of the stalks of you legs to get you to react to any outside stimuli other than your grandma telling you to take out the trash while you remain in your basement dwelling, smug and slightly warm on the inside knowing that you, everlasting virgin pepperoni hot pocket eating bringer of shame, were victorious on one fine evening of troll posting, because you good sir, being the pinnacle of all we have come to achieve as a species, expressed your disdain towards something many others enjoy.  

31. Unreal Engine Sep 29, 2012, 05:48 jdreyer

I was a bit disappointed to read they'd be using the Unreal Engine. The Blacksun engine back in the day was one of the most impressive engine debuts in the history of gaming.

Well, here's to hoping it's UE4.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 05:36 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 19:56:
Didn't I just say 2 days ago that this needed a kickstarter?
Obviously HD Interactive are big Blues News readers.

29. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 05:33 jdreyer

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 18:52:
Eraser, you should try to eat your own feces. If you don't like it, you should just keep trying. If you complain about it, you simply don't know how to eat feces the right way. If you don't like the taste, its because you obviously don't have a sophisticated pallete. If it makes you gag, then you need to take at least 30 minutes to put your finger down your throat first, so you get used to controlling your gag reflex. If you don't like the peanuts, you should know that they aren't actually peanuts, they are discolored bacteria groups. I mean, when was the last time you swallowed a whole peanut?

Gee, Stan, I didn't know you were such a connoisseur of Eraser's feces.

28. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 05:29 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 12:51:
Zyrxil wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 11:41:
Yeah, I don't know why it has a cult following either. It was very pretty and seemed to have an interesting universe behind it, but as an actual game it was fairly mediocre.

Same here, I tried several times to like this game, but it was so boring. You never felt like you had control over the fights; it felt like it was all staged. The game feels a lot like Gratuitous Space Battles in a way. I want a full on in control ship building like sins Universe with objectives and areas to go out and conquer. Not some flash in the pants sit back and watch all the pretty effect and ships blowing up without any control over it.

Also if I recall correctly the Camera was terrible too.

I don't remember that. I remember having too much control: I had to set paths for my ships, I had to tell them which ships and which systems to target. I think one cool thing they did that actually confused me at first was after you defeated an enemy ship, they'd leave the burnt out hulk floating on the battlefield, but I didn't realize it was destroyed, so I kept attacking it.

But I remember it being unique for its time, and definitely scratching that "capital ship battle in space" itch.

27. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 02:54 .Drifter

Been a while since I played the first Nexus game, never finished it.
It wasn't really hard, from what I can remember, but there was a game breaking bug that happened every time I played. Vaguely, I seem to remember that you get an alien ship, blow something up, and get teleported into space where you have to save a convoy or something. I could be wrong, like I said it's been a while.
Every time the mission would start, something would bug and everything would explode and I couldn't progress the mission.

26. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 22:51 John

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:21:
But the sad abilities of pc gamers we have here aside, why is this kickstarter 2 days shorter than Obsidian one?

I think whoever creates the Kickstart determines how long they want it to run. I have seen some for 60 days.

This space is available for rent

25. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 20:29 eRe4s3r

yuastnav wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 19:07:
Well I really enjoyed Nexus.

The only problem was the game-breaking bug where it crashed during a sequence and didn't let me finish the game.

Apart from that it was a fantastic experience.

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
Wow the posts in this topic make me sad to be a pc gamer. Too complicated? Nexus? A game you could win with the shift key and 1 mouse button?

And to the guy saying the game felt staged.. I have only 1 thing to say to that.. DUH.
Reread the genre, TACTICAL COMBAT SIMULATION. Read up what a tactical combat challenge IS. That is the very definition of STAGED COMBAT in a game. To complain that the game felt staged is like saying that Homeworld 2 had too much space. Or that there was too much shooting in Call of Duty. Tactical challenges HAVE to be staged. Or it would be brainless skirmish.

But the sad abilities of pc gamers we have here aside, why is this kickstarter 2 days shorter than Obsidian one?

Hah, the old "you are playing it wrong" bit. Do you dislike any games, Eraser? If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

That is not entirely correct. As it has been said it's not a strategy game but a tactical simulator. You are not correct in saying that he he is wrong in implying that you are not playing it correctly since you, probably, just have different expectations from it.
To use an analogy: it's like expecting Baldur's Gate or Fallout to be an action adventure rpg. It's not. Gothic or the elder scrolls are action adventures with rpg elements, Baldur's gate and Fallout are rpg games. There are similar mechanics but the games are fundamentally different. It's the same for Nexus and other games of a similar genre in which you control several ships in a strategical manner in space.

Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were? I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.

It really is -not- a personal attack if someone has a different opinion of a game that you like, you know. Well, unless you behave like Eraser when you find out about it. Because he obviously makes it personal.

I never intended to make it personal so I leave it at that. It's just that the first posts in this topic rubbed me the wrong way It's clear some people didn't like the game, but I got pokey because some people invented issues nobody else ever had to reinforce their point. And the "felt too staged" comment was really all I wanted to particularly nag, because complaining about staged battles in a tactical simulator is pretty absurd.. no?

Those who felt insulted at THAT 1 line regarding sad abilities, well if you find Nexus too complicated what else would someone call it? That your are great at not understanding complex games? No, that is sad. Not even meant as insult, I just think it is sad there are PC gamers who think Nexus was too complex. Imo the game market today has nothing but shallow games and Nexus was unique yet not even all that complex. So yeah...

And I am sorry people find it offensive when I find posts sad. ^^ To me, it is not exactly a thing to celebrate when 4 people in a row complain about things that make no sense about the game. Heck, if someone had said "Combat was too lopsided, sometimes you could only win by trial and error, equipment choices later on could dead-end you" I'd have agreed to that. Those were the real flaws of the game.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2012, 20:37.

24. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 20:17 Dev

Kickstart is likely to get more traction than the crowd funding on whatever site they tried to do 6 months ago or so.  

23. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 20:14 Stormsinger

yuastnav wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 19:07:
Well I really enjoyed Nexus.

The only problem was the game-breaking bug where it crashed during a sequence and didn't let me finish the game.

Apart from that it was a fantastic experience.

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
Wow the posts in this topic make me sad to be a pc gamer. Too complicated? Nexus? A game you could win with the shift key and 1 mouse button?

And to the guy saying the game felt staged.. I have only 1 thing to say to that.. DUH.
Reread the genre, TACTICAL COMBAT SIMULATION. Read up what a tactical combat challenge IS. That is the very definition of STAGED COMBAT in a game. To complain that the game felt staged is like saying that Homeworld 2 had too much space. Or that there was too much shooting in Call of Duty. Tactical challenges HAVE to be staged. Or it would be brainless skirmish.

Hah, the old "you are playing it wrong" bit. Do you dislike any games, Eraser? If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

That is not entirely correct. As it has been said it's not a strategy game but a tactical simulator. You are not correct in saying that he he is wrong in implying that you are not playing it correctly since you, probably, just have different expectations from it.
To use an analogy: it's like expecting Baldur's Gate or Fallout to be an action adventure rpg. It's not. Gothic or the elder scrolls are action adventures with rpg elements, Baldur's gate and Fallout are rpg games. There are similar mechanics but the games are fundamentally different. It's the same for Nexus and other games of a similar genre in which you control several ships in a strategical manner in space.

Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were? I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.

It really is -not- a personal attack if someone has a different opinion of a game that you like, you know. Well, unless you behave like Eraser when you find out about it. Because he obviously makes it personal.

22. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 19:56 The Half Elf

Didn't I just say 2 days ago that this needed a kickstarter?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 19:31 Jivaro

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 18:52:
Eraser, you should try to eat your own feces. If you don't like it, you should just keep trying. If you complain about it, you simply don't know how to eat feces the right way. If you don't like the taste, its because you obviously don't have a sophisticated pallete. If it makes you gag, then you need to take at least 30 minutes to put your finger down your throat first, so you get used to controlling your gag reflex. If you don't like the peanuts, you should know that they aren't actually peanuts, they are discolored bacteria groups. I mean, when was the last time you swallowed a whole peanut?

LMAO

20. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 19:22 Cutter

Slashman wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 18:35:
Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:46:
Doubt they'll get it. Speaking of space games, wtf is X Rebirth?

It's the not-quite-sequel of X3: Terran Conflict.

It's a fresh start in the same universe with significant changes in gameplay.

Unless wtf was supposed to be 'where' instead of 'what', in which case the release date has yet to be announced and we're unsure if it will come out this year.

Boo-urns!

Thanks for the update though.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo