Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I got great news from my buddy Devicer, as his cat Josie showed up yesterday after being missing for almost two weeks. Anyone who knows her wouldn't be that surprised that she was able to take care of herself out in the country on her own through heavy thunderstorms and cool autumn nights, as she is that classic tough alpha cat (she used to try to pounce on Hudson the wonder dog in hilarious Cato versus Inspector Clouseau scenarios), but she's also a 16 year-old housecat, so hope was beginning to fade with every passing day. She's by far my favorite cat in the world, so I am overjoyed that this story has a happy ending. It's just too bad she can't tell us what happened.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Jacksmith.
Links: Warping Through Star Trek: The Next Generation's 25 Years With Ronald Moore. Thanks nin.
Celebrities with the Highest IQs.
Stories: U.N. chief duped by prank call from fake Canadian PM.
Higher risk of divorce when men do housework, Norwegian study finds.
Science: What does the Higgs boson look like?
Experimental medical implants perform tasks then dissolve.
Media: Smart car with Hayabusa engine.
Jimmy Fallon and Jerry Seinfeld During The Commercial Break.
Diablo 3: Night of 1000 Errors.
Practical Examples of Murphy's Law. Lesson? Always record amateur construction.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2012, 05:28 The Half Elf

Danny Elfman, John Williams, Silveresti, and a few others I can't remember.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2012, 04:39 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 00:28:
Just stumbled across this by accident:

If you're like me and enjoy movie scores, Looper's is out, but it's digital download only...

UNLESS you go here and get one limited to 3000 copies, and features additional music not in the digital release:
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Looper.html

These guys are legit, I've ordered from them before, including:
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Batman89.html (sadly out of print now)

I have the Star Wars HUGE box set from the 80s in CD format, also have original score from Batman and that set they have on that site...I think. Such great music.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2012, 01:43 Ferazel

Cats that old that run away usually do so to die. I'd have them bring it into the vet if they haven't already and check the cat out.

Voyager's opening theme music is probably my favorite. Probably conveyed the best theme for exploration and discovery... too bad everything about the show was generally garbage (space dinosaurs and warp speed lizards).

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2012, 00:28 nin

Just stumbled across this by accident:

If you're like me and enjoy movie scores, Looper's is out, but it's digital download only...

UNLESS you go here and get one limited to 3000 copies, and features additional music not in the digital release:
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Looper.html

These guys are legit, I've ordered from them before, including:
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Batman89.html (sadly out of print now)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 23:39 nin

Btw, fuck, EIGHTY bucks for season one of TNG on Blue-Ray?

Coulda had it for $59 at launch week!

Had to put my kitty down today. Only 2 years old

Never had to do that before. It sucks.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I've only had to do it once, and it was something I hope never to repeat. The cat did not go quietly, and I felt even worse because of it...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 23:24 NegaDeath

keithnyc wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 22:44:

Yeah that really does suck, my condolences. It really catches you off guard how much it hits you when their time comes. I had my dog for 15 years, since I was a kid basically. The day I had to put her down I was a wreck.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 23:11 jimnms

Ratty wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:39:
Yeah, so everyone's going to hate me now but I loved Voyager and couldn't ever get into Deep Space 9. Voyager wasn't perfect (they really castrated the Borg and introduced then ruined Species 8472) but I still loved watching it.

I remember watching a few episodes of it when it first came on and didn't like it. This was before DVRs and I didn't schedule my life around TV shows either. Later on one channel was running it in order. They would show like 4 episodes on Mondays, and I would record them and watch during the week. I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it had been too long since I had a Star Trek fix.

I also didn't like DS9 when it first came on, but after I finished Voyager I needed more Star Trek. Another channel had been running it in order, but I came in mid series. I started recording it anyway and watched it through to the end. They restarted from the beginning, but then just ended before I got back to where I came in.

Not wanting to suffer withdrawal, I noticed 4 or 5 different channels were all airing STTNG. None of them seemed to be showing it in order, they were all just random episodes. I set my DVR to record every instance. I did watch STTNG when it was new, but like I said I didn't organize my life around TV shows. At first I was just looking at the episode descriptions and watching ones that didn't sound familiar. Then after a several weeks, between all the different channels it began to fill in the gaps and I had the entire first two seasons in order, so I just started from the beginning and watched through to the end. There were only a hand full of episodes that I had not seen or just didn't remember. I had just finished watching the entire series when they announced that they were going to release it on Blu-ray.

I also wasn't able to watch Enterprise when it was new because our cable co. didn't carry the channel it was on. I did manage to watch it years later when the SciFi channel began to show it. I didn't notice and start watching until the middle of season two. I just happened to be browsing the channel guide when I saw it, and saw it. The episode I started on I missed the first half of it. When they got to the end, they restarted from the beginning and I watched it up to that episode, and would you fucking believe that when it got back to the episode I started on, the cable cut for the first half of that episode. I don't know the name of the episode, but I think I remember enough detail about it that I could find if if I looked up episode guides.

Steam Profile

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 22:44 Texas Jake

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 21:13 Mr. Tact

I felt DS9 was fantastic. The long story arcs really rocked, just as they did in B5. I thought Voyager was "okay", certainly not as bad as many seemed to think. I agree, nin -- the intro music/song for Enterprise blew chunks. But I liked the show, I was really hoping for the "traditional" seven years the three previous Trek series had. Oh well.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 18:08 NegaDeath

I didn't like DS9 or Voyager. In DS9's defense the episodes I did see seemed high quality, it just never clicked with me. Voyager was interesting to watch, like watching a trainwreck would be. I'd suggest a "will this episode of Voyager be terrible" drinking game but I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning. I won't discuss Enterprise.

Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:05:
This is for you, Blue. A famous old Canadian cartoon.

The Cat Came Back

Damnit the song is stuck in my head now. It's been years since I saw that and I still remember the lyrics.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 17:30 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:39:

Yeah, so everyone's going to hate me now but I loved Voyager and couldn't ever get into Deep Space 9. Voyager wasn't perfect (they really castrated the Borg and introduced then ruined Species 8472) but I still loved watching it.

You're dead to me, Ratty. You hear me?! DEAD!

Btw, fuck, EIGHTY bucks for season one of TNG on Blue-Ray? Come on. I know they put a fucking shitload of work into the CGI, but that's just ridiculous. There's like 5 good episodes in season one...

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 15:05 Cutter

This is for you, Blue. A famous old Canadian cartoon.

The Cat Came Back

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 14:47 nin

From what very very little I saw of DS9, I wasn't hooked, but most folks seemed to like it. Was hoping to give it another shot if it gets the Next Gen treatment...

Voyager I just didn't like the cast, esp Kate Mulgrew. Her voice was like nails on a chalkboard for me...

Enterprise lost me at the theme song.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 14:39 Ratty

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:03:
Reading the TNG article just really makes me sad to think they cancelled that show for make room for the horseshit that was Voyager. I've been watching Voyager on Amazon Prime, and it's just staggering how much worse of a show it is than TNG. The only really interesting episodes are the ones where people die and the whole ship gets destroyed, but you know that the big fat reset button will get hit at the end of the episode, and everything's back to normal in the next. Ugh.

Fuck you, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU!

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 14:36 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:08:
I love Next Gen (and season 1 looks phenomenal on disc, with the recreated special effects), but even there, the first 2-3 seasons weren't exactly "classics" (with a few notable episodes excluded).

I didn't realize that was where Ron Moore got his start. It was cool to read him talk about certain episodes and what went into them.

Yeah, but it takes every show one or two seasons to get settled. The actors have to find their characters, the writers have to figure out what works and doesn't work, etc. TNG season four is the best Star Trek season ever. It's just top notch episode after top notch episode. Out of the 26 eps, I think it has like 20 fantastic ones, and maybe 2 clunkers.

I think in Voyager's best season (can't remember if it's four or five), they have about 9 great episodes and still like 8 clunkers.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 14:08 nin

I love Next Gen (and season 1 looks phenomenal on disc, with the recreated special effects), but even there, the first 2-3 seasons weren't exactly "classics" (with a few notable episodes excluded).

I didn't realize that was where Ron Moore got his start. It was cool to read him talk about certain episodes and what went into them.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 14:03 Creston

Reading the TNG article just really makes me sad to think they cancelled that show for make room for the horseshit that was Voyager. I've been watching Voyager on Amazon Prime, and it's just staggering how much worse of a show it is than TNG. The only really interesting episodes are the ones where people die and the whole ship gets destroyed, but you know that the big fat reset button will get hit at the end of the episode, and everything's back to normal in the next. Ugh.

Fuck you, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU!

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 13:46 Jivaro

This a completely overused word but I am going to use it anyway...

That Facehugger Bong is f'n EPIC.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 11:54 kanniballl

Dolph Lundgren has the same IQ as Stephen Hawking... Really?

I know IQ isn't everything, but still...

And to be honest, I would've thought Hawking's IQ would be higher than that even withOUT knowing Lundgren's. Like 170 or something, as I've known some 160-ers.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 11:36 xXBatmanXx

Hay guys, looking for a new rig build, head on over to the internal forum so we don't muck up the OotB. THanks!

1500 goal, but can get up to 2k, fresh build, no left overs going in this one!

Batty Rig Fall 2012!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo